Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Japan, Germany and Italy area top 3 countries with oldest population.

What you also see is Italy have only 3 hospital beds per 1000people, Sout Korea is 12 beds per 1000 ppl.

Today was Italian dude in Estonian newspaper and he told that situation is so bad with beds and ventilators, that they are just selecting people who could more or less survive and look more healthy, oldest and weakest they just let die to save others. This is what happens if you have poor medical readiness, unfortunately.

Not quite, this could be the scenario for a projected devolpement of the pandemia, so they are organizing to improve availability of ventilators (the only it producer, next to me, is receiving even military specialized workforce to increase fourfold the production, and already diverted the production for export to it hospitals) and also studying to convert ships as temporary hospitals in case of exposion of cases.
Bear in mind that "let just die the weakest and oldest" is a third world meme, and we are not....

Reactions: guidooo
Hope the summary table gives folks a high level view on day-to-day development. Italy is still the most critical with over 1k deaths. US adds about 500 cases and 5 more deaths.
upload_2020-3-13_5-50-50.png

I wonder how long it will take the Western Public Health Authorities until they start recommending face mask use in public buildings and where social distance cannot be maintained. This is the single most glaring breach of trust with the public.

And yes, I am well aware of the data from other respiratory viral infections that shows face mask use to be ineffective as a public health measure; and I realize that some countries have a face mask shortage. My rebuttal is that face mask production is a priority no less than test availability, and the prior failures of face masks are not the virus or the mask but user compliance. If people are too stupid or lazy to be compliant with face mask use then that is on them, but at least they should have an informed choice.

There is a small voice in the back of my head that is sadly amused by the lack of insight displayed by the public, including the people in this thread. Consider that health care workers have to wear face masks to stay healthy. So face masks are effective in that vastly more infectious environment, but not effective in less effective environments ? You do not have to be a physician to realize that must be BS.

I wonder how long it will take the Western Public Health Authorities until they start recommending face mask use in public buildings and where social distance cannot be maintained. This is the single most glaring breach of trust with the public.

And yes, I am well aware of the data from other respiratory viral infections that shows face mask use to be ineffective as a public health measure; and I realize that some countries have a face mask shortage. My rebuttal is that face mask production is a priority no less than test availability, and the prior failures of face masks are not the virus or the mask but user compliance. If people are too stupid or lazy to be compliant with face mask use then that is on them, but at least they should have an informed choice.

There is a small voice in the back of my head that is sadly amused by the lack of insight displayed by the public, including the people in this thread. Consider that health care workers have to wear face masks to stay healthy. So face masks are effective in that vastly more infectious environment, but not effective in less effective environments ? You do not have to be a physician to realize that must be BS.
You'll need to take that up with the Surgeon General: Face masks: Surgeon general wants Americans to stop buying them - CNN

Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!
http://bit.ly/37Ay6Cm

The problem with this official guidance is that it conflates two issues: whether masks are effective barriers to disease transmission; and the dangers of panic mask-buying on public health.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

I thought it was mostly due to the mask shortage. Otherwise, it's silly to think that masks are ineffective in close contact with symptomatic people. This disease is currently classified as droplet transmission, so masks do help, as with the flu.

I thought it was mostly due to the mask shortage. Otherwise, it's silly to think that masks are ineffective in close contact with symptomatic people. This disease is currently classified as droplet transmission, so masks do help, as with the flu.
If nothing else, they keep your hands off your face. There's a difference between being not 100% effective, and not working.

I thought it was mostly due to the mask shortage
Even a government as incompetent as the trump administration would have no problem ensuring adequate face masks supply for health care workers and then letting the public squabble over the remainder. But that would be politically inexpedient, and the psychopath does not do inexpedient.

The problem is more nuanced: doctors know damned well that they are important, but the gov has ignored face mask supply and taken no steps to increase production. This is in part due to trumpish stupidity and in part the fault of his CDC contacts who continue to say that historical data shows face mask use to be ineffective as a public health measure. The interesting detail is that the CDC is right about the data. The point being missed is that the past failures are due to poor compliance. It may be that the US population will treat face mask use for Covid-19 with the same poor adherence to usage guidelines as they did with Rhinovirus or Influenza ... or they may get a clue like the Asian countries.

I realize that Americans in general do not read, but they do look at photos, right ?
Contrast Italy with Singapore, China, etc.
The US can be Italy-like, or it can be Singapore-like.

Last edited:
Trump probably has Coronavirus. I was telling anyone that would listen that he looked exhausted during his ridiculous speech. Obviously we know why.

Corollary: If Trump has it and beats it, which he almost definitely will, he is suddenly made of Teflon on the damn issue. ‘Yeah, what’s the big deal. I got it and it was nothing. Fake news.’

Would much rather he does not have it. Prefer him to be referred to as a one termer.

Reactions: Big Earl
FWIW, UK’s Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty, warned that the CV virus “is being spread by some patients with minor, even no symptoms. We just don’t know how many.” This is especially true for children. He went on to confirm that patients very early in the disease process are putting out “very large numbers of virus”, and that five to seven days in the shedding drops off a lot. Paraphrasing the last. Use this as you see fit.
The Asilomar Isolation Facility, where exposed and “mildly symptomatic” cruise ship patients are being housed, looks like a small MASH site with fencing and tents. I’ll take a photo and post it here later.
This (somewhat gruff) UK doc has a lot of very practical, very specific observations and is very well worth watching:

Stay well, everyone,
Robin

Federal regulation? I’m confused, China and S Korea have a standard WHO test kit. The fed govt contracted instead to buy from a former Trump owned company for the tests. What does this have to do with regulation? The rest of the world has 4 hour tests, we have a corrupt team still not focused on solving the problem and thinking about economic stimulus for people who may be locked in their homes.

Snoops has found this claim to be FALSE!!

Does Trump Own Stock in a Company CDC Uses for COVID-19 Tests?