Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the absence of testing, this could be a decent indicator of where coronavirus is spiking.

New York City and LA stand out.

ETAd4SgUwAEFVFZ

Last edited:
Sorry to feel so hopeless. The last time I felt like this was in the midst of a civil war (Lebanon 1975) but then the whole world was anxious to preclude global disaster, and people who had known WWII were still forces for calm. Now we have world 'leaders' competing to be less civil than each other.

Hey, lighten up, it's not hopeless at all, the US is ramping up for the war, there were and are clusterf*cks, but you have to cut through the politics and look at the big picture: Pretty much all the measures should be put in place is being done, it not as swift as we have liked, but being done nevertheless. Not all measures are top down, which is good since we don't have a dictator who with absolute power, lot of measures are enacted at city/county/state level, you can see where things are trending if you follow twitter for a few days, a lot of times people are bitching about some measurements not taken, then just a few days later it is being put into place, some examples:

1. Probably a week ago people are complaining travelers from Italy is not being checked at airport at all, now travel restriction is in place. BTW this restriction is for people only, it does NOT affect cargo, see the WH press release for details.
2. A few days ago people are complaining Disney is still packed, then they are complaining Disney is exempt from the California large gathering ban, then just a few hours later Disney closed itself. It is as if business knows it's time to do the right thing and they're doing it, magically isn't it?
3. It's been a few days since people has been pressing Trump to declare a national emergency, there're news about how he doesn't want to do it, etc etc. Now he's doing it.
4. Nation wide hospitals are starting to prepare for the surge, they're enlarging ICUs and adding beds, postponing elective procedures, etc. If you really follow all the preparations being made, it's almost beautiful, this is an organic, bottom-up approach to national mobilization.

Now we still need the 2nd stimulus package which is being negotiated, and more states need to shutdown public gatherings, but I think all these will be done in due time. Not as fast as we liked, but we're moving to fight this thing head on.

BTW, I'd be more worried about Tesla than the US in general, there will be tough economic times ahead, recession pretty much for certain, not sure how Tesla sales will go in these difficult circumstances.

Jair Bolsonaro says he has tested negative
The Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has tested negative for the coronavirus, his son told Fox News on Friday following media reports that his father, who recently met with Donald Trump, had tested positive.

“The test is negative,” Eduardo Bolsonaro told Fox News Channel in an interview.

The news follows some confusion today after local media in Brazil reported that Bolsonaro had tested positive.

Bolsonaro himself has lashed out on Twitter at “fake news”.

Err..... he denied on Facebook with his typical distinguished class and sobriety :D

http://www.ansa.it/webimages/img_700/2020/3/13/1cdb7c8660043b995bbdb4cd8396d0f9.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
If it is true that Trump has decreed that no medically important products/components are to be sourced outside the US that will preclude testing speed advances from Roche, testing components from Germany as well as all the very considerable knowledge China has gained at such an astronomic price.

But it isn't true. Where the heck did you get that from?

Reactions: Doggydogworld
If it is true that Trump has decreed that no medically important products/components are to be sourced outside the US that will preclude testing speed advances from Roche, testing components from Germany as well as all the very considerable knowledge China has gained at such an astronomic price.

I would like a source on this also. Any moves to block outsourcing of medical supplies at this point sound very dangerous.

Hey, lighten up, it's not hopeless at all, the US is ramping up for the war, there were and are clusterf*cks, but you have to cut through the politics and look at the big picture: Pretty much all the measures should be put in place is being done, it not as swift as we have liked, but being done nevertheless. Not all measures are top down, which is good since we don't have a dictator who with absolute power, lot of measures are enacted at city/county/state level, you can see where things are trending if you follow twitter for a few days, a lot of times people are bitching about some measurements not taken, then just a few days later it is being put into place, some examples:

1. Probably a week ago people are complaining travelers from Italy is not being checked at airport at all, now travel restriction is in place. BTW this restriction is for people only, it does NOT affect cargo, see the WH press release for details.
2. A few days ago people are complaining Disney is still packed, then they are complaining Disney is exempt from the California large gathering ban, then just a few hours later Disney closed itself. It is as if business knows it's time to do the right thing and they're doing it, magically isn't it?
3. It's been a few days since people has been pressing Trump to declare a national emergency, there're news about how he doesn't want to do it, etc etc. Now he's doing it.
4. Nation wide hospitals are starting to prepare for the surge, they're enlarging ICUs and adding beds, postponing elective procedures, etc. If you really follow all the preparations being made, it's almost beautiful, this is an organic, bottom-up approach to national mobilization.

Now we still need the 2nd stimulus package which is being negotiated, and more states need to shutdown public gatherings, but I think all these will be done in due time. Not as fast as we liked, but we're moving to fight this thing head on.

BTW, I'd be more worried about Tesla than the US in general, there will be tough economic times ahead, recession pretty much for certain, not sure how Tesla sales will go in these difficult circumstances.
Wow, it is hard to know where to begin.
1. Italy restrictions; three hours ago an Italian family, friends of mine, arrived in the US from Milan (I will not provide further detail). They expected big problems at POE. Instead nothing at all, passports checked and off they went. Zero questions. Of the group of 5 three had pretty obvious coughing and runny noses, so they told me. I have no idea if those were cold or worse. Neither do they, but they're now ensconced in their Miami apartment preparing to seek medical evaluation.

I will not respond to the other points. The first priority, testing, is ridiculously ineffective in the US today.

Whishful thinking on the part of the left here.

Even if he has it, you can bet he will be first in line for purified plasma from someone with existing antibodies to COVID-19. He'll also get Remdesivir, and anything else currently in a clinical trial.

Can we move the conversation along beyond the political wishful thinking? Many of us on the right hated Obama as much as you hate Trump, but we have the compassion to not wish DEATH on a political enemy. You guys are pathetic and should be ashamed.
Logical fallacy. You think that as a class, people opposed to Trump wish death upon him. And yet you hold up yourself as an example that not all people opposed to Obama wished for that. There are many examples of people who wished Obama dead just after his election.

If you are using the ship to extrapolate to the population at large then start from the ship population of 3 - 4 k (I've forgotten the exact number.)
Yes, ~3500 on the ship so a 20% infection rate.

People were (eventually) quarantined in their rooms onboard, though, and received meals brought in from outside. So it's not clear if a 20% infection rate is appropriate for a general non-quarantined population over six months or so. I used 30% in my made-up example numbers. Plenty of people who actually know what they're talking about suggest a 40-70% infection rate is possible.

Wow, it is hard to know where to begin.
1. Italy restrictions; three hours ago an Italian family, friends of mine, arrived in the US from Milan (I will not provide further detail). They expected big problems at POE. Instead nothing at all, passports checked and off they went. Zero questions. Of the group of 5 three had pretty obvious coughing and runny noses, so they told me. I have no idea if those were cold or worse. Neither do they, but they're now ensconced in their Miami apartment preparing to seek medical evaluation.

I will not respond to the other points. The first priority, testing, is ridiculously ineffective in the US today.
Unfortunately, this is the natural result of a "strategy" where appearing to be doing something has always seemed enough, as opposed to actually doing something. In the ridiculous battle between uncomfortable facts and convenient lies, politics and nature, facts and nature always bat last.
Robin,

Reactions: jbcarioca and Dr. J