Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious why CORONA parties have not been proposed. Just like the chicken pox parties we had in the sixties.
Get infected then isolate for two-three weeks. Under 30's only.

I know its dumb and dangerous. Just surprised no ones mentioned it.

I was wondering what is stopping people from cooking the virus a bit to weaken it and then inject it to get it over with. Since young people are almost immune, this seems like an alternative.

Has anyone heard if Fremont is still planning to operate during the Bay Area lockdown? If not, the end of quarter sales are going to be disastrous.

EVERYONE is going to take a bath. we all need to realize that pretty much the whole world econ is ill-prepared for this kind of event.

quarters? think 'years' for a real recovery.

ripples will be felt for a long time. like reflections, they'll bounce out to the perimeter, then echo back in and we'll be in oscillation for a long time.

anyone who is thinking of 'quarterly profits' needs a REALITY adjustment.

this is post-virus. we need new post-virus thinking.

(sort of half serious)

I know. I mean what was Elon thinking when he said CV panic is dumb?

He had to know it would upset people.

I mean there’s those people who love to panic. There’s those who can’t help but panic. There’s also those who are convinced panic is a better response than logical actions based on expert advice.

Why in the world would Elon insult the panic community like that? What a dumb idea. We need to soothe them and tell them that panic may be right for them.

Sure, but remember I am talking about that tweet in the context of his later email. The “panic” tweet, taken alone, is excusable of course, since it is silly to panic about things...but the way it is phrased makes it ambiguous exactly what Elon thinks about coronavirus in general - but he made that clear in the later email.

Obviously panic in the true sense is dumb - best to prepare calmly. But that’s a very literal reading of the tweet, when taken in context.

"happy birthday! we got you a special cake, hope you like it."

bday-cake.png

not sure if this should be sliced, or, uhm, unrolled...

"for everything that matters, there's a cake."

I live in wine country, north of San Francisco. A significant percentage of the homes around here are second homes owned by those in the city and beyond. As soon as San Francisco locked down, those second home owners showed up. Our grocery stores are pretty wiped out and things are pretty busy around here. It feels like high season on steroids.

One observation - I was thinking that by doing the proper thing and saving lives by flattening the curve, we're also leaving ourselves in a much longer economic pause. Because it'll take that much longer to get the virus under control or at least to see a clear peak in infection rates, we are going to be in social distancing mode for a longer period of time. That trade-off is going to cause more and more tension as time progresses, and it'll be interesting to see what the breaking point might be.

An anecdote to add to the pile about real-life testing:

My brother-in-law is a nurse in Seattle. He started to have flu-like symptoms late Thursday, and was tested for influenza and COVID on Friday morning.

He just got back the influenza test...negative. The COVID test results won't be available until Thursday.

Being a nurse, he at least got tested quickly. His wife can't get a test, so they are just isolated at home waiting to hear more. He's young enough he's not worried about living through the disease, but this does of course means he has to stay away from patients for a while...and this is of course a bad time for that. As for me, I would feel better if the test results didn't take so long, and his wife could be tested...

My father-in-law is in an assisted-living facility nearby. They had a resident test positive for COVID about a week ago, so they have all been locked in their rooms, with staff stopping by to deliver food and meds and take out laundry. I think some of their staff was tested, but it doesn't appear that they are testing the other residents.

That trade-off is going to cause more and more tension as time progresses, and it'll be interesting to see what the breaking point might be.

I'm really hoping that pragmatism and self-preservation wins over ideology. >50% of Americans are gonna be tapped out and broke in <2 weeks. Is that acceptable? No. Should people be more fiscally responsible? Yes. Can they fix themselves now that they're out of work probably for the next ~2 months? Also no. The ONLY solution is direct injection of capital to people that are now out of work. One number floated on CNBC today was as much as $1k/week per adult. We need to stop piling $$$ onto banks hoping it trickles down... skip the 'trickle' and put it where it's needed!

OR... maybe cut the banks off from the trough if they're charging consumers >1% above prime.

I live in wine country, north of San Francisco. A significant percentage of the homes around here are second homes owned by those in the city and beyond. As soon as San Francisco locked down, those second home owners showed up. Our grocery stores are pretty wiped out and things are pretty busy around here. It feels like high season on steroids.

One observation - I was thinking that by doing the proper thing and saving lives by flattening the curve, we're also leaving ourselves in a much longer economic pause. Because it'll take that much longer to get the virus under control or at least to see a clear peak in infection rates, we are going to be in social distancing mode for a longer period of time. That trade-off is going to cause more and more tension as time progresses, and it'll be interesting to see what the breaking point might be.

Agreed. And the data out of China on economic contraction is much worse than feared.
China’s economy suffers dramatic collapse in warning to rest of world

I'm really hoping that pragmatism and self-preservation wins over ideology. >50% of Americans are gonna be tapped out and broke in <2 weeks. Is that acceptable? No. Should people be more fiscally responsible? Yes. Can they fix themselves now that they're out of work probably for the next ~2 months? Also no. The ONLY solution is direct injection of capital to people that are now out of work. One number floated on CNBC today was as much as $1k/week per adult. We need to stop piling $$$ onto banks hoping it trickles down... skip the 'trickle' and put it where it's needed!

OR... maybe cut the banks off from the trough if they're charging consumers >1% above prime.
So do you think this will be a trial run for Universal Basic Income? (Maybe Andrew Yang gets back in the race?!)

So do you think this will be a trial run for Universal Basic Income? (Maybe Andrew Yang gets back in the race?!)

Basically but on steroids and maybe with a time limit. $1k/mo ain't gonna make a dent.

For better or worse (worse IMO) our economy runs hand to mouth. One restaurant owner on CNBC is predicting that ~70% of restaurants will fail if the COVID dip lasts longer than 6 weeks which it almost certainly will. It's not like those businesses will spring back overnight. Most will be gone forever unless they get direct fiscal support.

Exhibit B:

WSJ News Exclusive | Amazon to Hire 100,000 Warehouse and Delivery Workers Amid Coronavirus Shutdowns

Amazon.com Inc. plans to hire an additional 100,000 employees in the U.S. as millions of people turn to online deliveries at an unprecedented pace and Americans continue to reorient their lives to limit the spread of the new coronavirus.

Also boosting pay by $2/hr through April.

Basically but on steroids and maybe with a time limit. $1k/mo ain't gonna make a dent.
$1K a month would make a huge difference for the people who really need it, people who live on $1K/month.
Would be a hilarious series of ironies for history if a Republican germophobic xenophobic president were brought down by what he called a "foreign virus" and a massive social safety net is what saves lives and livings and turns a bunch of purple states blue for a few cycles.

$1K a month would make a huge difference for the people who really need it, people who live on $1K/month.

Agreed... it's just unlikely to keep us from slipping into a depression. Our economy isn't designed to go from $1.5T/mo to <$500B/mo in 7 days.

The stimulus package being pitched right now is ~$800B. That's ~$2500 per person.

$1k/mo would be great under normal economic conditions... not COVID lockdown.

My suspicion is that once we plateau in some way, like number of new infections per day levels off (which isn’t a plateau, I know) and if the absolute death numbers are in some acceptable range, then I think American society will loosen up on its own.

Academics of all types are going to be analyzing 2020 for a long time. Talk about a once in a lifetime (hopefully!) social experiment.

I was at a supercharger a few hours ago, topping off the tank, as it were. I don't have home charging and work is 'closed' (although I guess I could do a L2 charge there - takes a long time and I'm not into being there that long). there was no big wait at the mtn view/shoreline SC.

makes me wonder how well supported the SC network is going to be. is that 'important' so that it passes for being open, during the shutdown? service people? its like a gas station (I think its like that, been a while and I'm trying to remember what a 'gas station is', lol) - and so I would assume that all that is related to keeping the SC network running is allowed during a legal shutdown.

I didn't want to top over 90% but like I said, I don't have home charging, so ...
If you model 3, even the 110v outlet with only 1kw given more than 30 miles of range per night. Even model S should gain about 20miles.

You are not supposed to travel far and often these days. Charging at home so you don't have to touch that handle God knows who just touched. Even with free supercharging, it's not worth it.