Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our recommendation is to cancel all appts unless absolutely necessary, including hair cuts. Let's flatten this curve!
All the hair salons are closed here anyways. I can't even get a haircut right now.

Based on that graph I'm planning on holding my SPY and TSLA Puts at least another week. Can't decide what to do before rolling into April....
On Thursday, they will probably report jobless claims increased 10x to over 2 million.

Those puts are going to print. I've got unobtanium hands on my SPY puts through next week.

Notice that Korea has plateaued at about 15 cases per 100k. The US is now at about 2 per 100k. Korea has been much more vigorous in their response than most of Europe and the US. Most of Europe is either above Korea's rate or looks to cross it. It does not appear that Itally is slowing at all. The US is tracking most closely with Germany. Germany looks to overtake Korea in a day or two.

With all this in mind, I don't see any compelling reason why that US will not see a 10X increase in active cases. It looks like 20 to 100 cases per 100k is to be expected.

The US is about 7 or 8 days from crossing the 10 active cases per 100k.
It's my understanding that most new cases in Korea are non-domestic arrivals coming home from abroad.

Again, I think we need to focus on the concept of vigilant testing being the clear answer and our solution seems to be a combination of panic and isolation.

Again, I think we need to focus on the concept of vigilant testing being the clear answer and our solution seems to be a combination of panic and isolation.

Vigilant testing is only effective in the initial stages when you can have contact tracers sent out by our pandemic response team isolate people. Wonder why that never happened.....

Anyway. Even China was only able to contain it once they lost track of the spread by similar draconian lockdown methods.

Sorry this isn’t TSLA-specific, but I think it’s an important point to consider. I am a Canadian physician, an ophthalmologist to be specific, and this week I have shut down my office except for emergencies and to see my patients with vision-threatening conditions. I am not doing any more surgeries. I have no idea how long this will go on but I anticipate 2-6 months (sorry for the Adam Jonas-like range). My income is reduced by 90% and I have eliminated 80% of my staff’s hours. Just keeping my office going at a minimum (minimal staff, rent, etc) and paying my day-to-day personal life expenses puts me in a big negative per month and will force me to start to use up my retirement savings.

I have bought a lot of SPY puts over the last 3 weeks and will continue to add more on market jumps. This is not just to try and time the market, but also as a hedge against my own possible inability to earn a living. If things turn positive and these puts all go to zero, presumably that means the world is returning to normal and I will be able to earn my normal living again. I will gladly take a big loss on them. But there is a non-zero chance that I won’t be able to work beyond 10% of my income for many many months. I then would have no other way to earn money and I consider these puts as a way to not drain down my retirement savings too far.

I realize this isn’t a perfect strategy as the stock market could plateau and not continue to drop while I still can’t work, but I don’t really have a lot of other possible insurance/hedge-type options available.

Vigilant testing is only effective in the initial stages when you can have contact tracers sent out by our pandemic response team isolate people. Wonder why that never happened.....

Anyway. Even China was only able to contain it once they lost track of the spread by similar draconian lockdown methods.

Social distancing and testing is a good way to control this. Number of cases going up is a good thing only if social distancing is being implemented.

You can't think of the numbers as "more and more people are getting infected". No it's more and more people being detected. The more you detect, the more people you get to quarantine, the less of them out there in the wild. Social distancing just prevents the unknown from creating more unknowns because people who are positive are no longer infectious (due to quarantine).

BTW in the chart I posted, the epidemialogists split out Hubei Province (the epicenter of the outbreak) from the rest of China. It appears that China's strategy was most effective outside of Hubei, once they knew what they were up against in Hubei. This is an amazing difference in outcomes. Controlling the spread in the early stages seems to be most critical. Korea seems to have gotten off to a bad start, but very quickly got the upper hand. Japan is doing an outstanding job of flattening the curve. They started out slow, but they still have not arrested the exponential growth of the virus.

Curiously, at TMC we spend alot of time talking about disruption and exponential and logistic growth. With this virus we see these dynamics play out on a daily basis, what take EV makers about a year to accomplish. The dynamics are quite similar, though the timescales are quite different. But if you wanted to see what disruptive exponential growth looks like, this is it.

covid-1.PNG

Controlling the spread in the early stages seems to be most critical.

Of course! It's an exponential, with a decay rate on the far side which also scales somewhat exponentially, due to escapes from quarantine, etc.

It's why the delay over the last two months (when it became extremely clear that coronavirus had entered the country, in mid-January) has been so tragic (and completely unnecessary since everyone knew it was already here).

I think they screwed up the bottom of their box. To our best knowledge, fatality rate is 1%. Perhaps there are some uncounted cases out there, but South Korea suggests there are not too many (they have near containment, partially by identifying most carriers). In any case it certainly is not 0.1%.

Here's a great thread outlining how we'll get out of this, most likely (if we want to get out quickly, by mid-May):

Jeremy FLATTEN THE CURVE Konyndyk on Twitter

Importantly, rather than fiddling around now with masks and ventilators and such (which we absolutely ALSO have to be doing), we need to be establishing NOW the network of surveillance, the tracking protocols & programs (you'll need to consent to anonymized tracking to be allowed to leave your house, for a period of a couple months - I think easily enforceable under gov't quarantine powers but I don't really care about the legal aspects at all), the screening stations, MASSIVE testing capacity, etc., which we will need to exit phase 1. It's an enormous undertaking, but the federal gov't should be able to manage it if they start NOW, so it can be ready by the end of April/early May. This is why it is so important for the Trump administration to start acting NOW to listen to the experts on this, who can guide us out of this self-inflicted problem, and avoid a repeat of the debacle that caused this outbreak to get to this enormous size in the first place.

Unfortunately, we can't gamble on a vaccine "miraculously" showing up. It's ok to spend 100 billion dollars building this up, only to have it be rendered irrelevant by a vaccine - we'll need to dust off the plans the next time this happens, anyway.

Also, we need to pass that $3 trillion in stimulus ASAP ($1 trillion isn't going to do it - learn the lessons of the Great Recession...) and stop fiddling around, so we can focus Congress on the actual problem...

And then, everyone can resume making money again.

Last edited:
there's an old joke that goes like:

"cop: so, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"driver: yeah, because you got C's and D's in school?"

(sorry, for any good cops out there. I know not all of you are like that.) ;)

“Cop: so do you know why I pulled you over?”
“Driver: hopefully not because of the dead body on the trunk”

what it looks like in an Italian hospital (not what i'd call graphic but on reddit they marked it NSFW)

That video was on the news 2 days ago. Together with an interview with a nurse who I believed said something like this: “We need a little bit of success to keep up our morale. So far we haven’t been able to save any of these people”

Social distancing and testing is a good way to control this. Number of cases going up is a good thing only if social distancing is being implemented.

You can't think of the numbers as "more and more people are getting infected". No it's more and more people being detected. The more you detect, the more people you get to quarantine, the less of them out there in the wild. Social distancing just prevents the unknown from creating more unknowns because people who are positive are no longer infectious (due to quarantine).

The local virologist on our news says to ignore the case numbers, as they don’t reflect the reality. The only number that says anything is the number of deaths.

The local virologist on our news says to ignore the case numbers, as they don’t reflect the reality. The only number that says anything is the number of deaths.
Yup and the number of deaths are looking pretty good given how grossly under testing we are doing. So either we don't has as many people as we think or the drugs/treatment plans are working. Take your pick.