Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cue : There is a run on Tide Pods.
I'll agree with all of you that the POTUS's suggestion was absolutely ridiculous. My hope is we can leave it at that without discussing with a dozen other comments today.

The 2 biggest hotspots in India
Delhi : very Hot but Dry
Mumbai : very Hot and Humid

Any questions ? ;)

Yep. What the Dept of HS offered was information arrived at in a scientific fashion. What's happening in India suggests an apparent contradiction with these scientific findings. The question would be under what conditions is the majority of the transmission of the virus taking place in India. Indoors? How much is outdoors but in such a crowded setting that sunlight has no chance to destroy the virus before it reaches a vulnerable location on another human being? Lots of questions raised without assuming that the scientific study was wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
So 500 watt light every 3 feet with no AC.
Remember to bring sunglasses.

NOTE: A 12 foot x 12 foot room would require 16 lights or 8000 watts.

EDIT 8000 watts
I guess the question is: Are the paramedics going to be on standby for heatstroke victims, or is the restaurant only going to be open from midnight to five a.m.?

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
I'll agree with all of you that the POTUS's suggestion was absolutely ridiculous. My hope is we can leave it at that without discussing with a dozen other comments today.

Yep. What the Dept of HS offered was information arrived at in a scientific fashion. What's happening in India suggests an apparent contradiction with these scientific findings. The question would be under what conditions is the majority of the transmission of the virus taking place in India. Indoors? How much is outdoors but in such a crowded setting that sunlight has no chance to destroy the virus before it reaches a vulnerable location on another human being? Lots of questions raised without assuming that the scientific study was wrong.

Actually, the ASSUMPTION has always been that warmer weather abates the (older) coronaviruses that we are all exposed to. There really hasn't be concrete data to support this, however.

I have, however, a different theory:
The reason for the theory that coronaviruses are not as stable in summer temperatures is based upon a drop in rates of spread during the summer months. But what if they are not being spread around simply because our children in the US still observe an agrarian school calendar (i.e. they don't have school in the summer, which is based upon the old principle of letting kids out for the summer to help with harvest, etc.).

I can attest that my kids on average during the summer are exposed to a LOT LESS people than when they are at school. We go somewhere and do something 1-2 times per week, but usually they just are at home, sometimes play with the neighborhood kids. Literally, it's social isolation "lite".

Food for thought.

EDIT - and when the kids go back to school in the fall, at least in our house, they bring home all kinds of colds for the first 2 months.

No way was I saying the study was bad - just noting real life implications are difficult to figure out.

My guess is person-to-person transmission through air (droplets) will not change all that much, in conditions where people are close by. Social distancing is still the key.

But what if they are not being spread around simply because our children in the US still observe an agrarian school calendar (i.e. they don't have school in the summer, which is based upon the old principle of letting kids out for the summer to help with harvest, etc.).
Don't flue infections drop long before school is out for the summer?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sorry if this has been raised before, but it seems that all the results giving a 10 to 100 times rate of presence of the virus compared to the detected ones must, unfortunately be wrong.

And the reason is the very nicely controlled case of the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, where only one third of the 2,000 sailors is infected with coronavirus.

This would give an UPPER limit of a factor of only 3 of undiscovered cases. It could actually be lower, if a a number of sailors actually were not exposed to the virus.

So any result that gives a much higher rate than this must also explain this data...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sorry if this has been raised before, but it seems that all the results giving a 10 to 100 times rate of presence of the virus compared to the detected ones must, unfortunately be wrong.

And the reason is the very nicely controlled case of the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, where only one third of the 2,000 sailors is infected with coronavirus.

This would give an UPPER limit of a factor of only 3 of undiscovered cases. It could actually be lower, if a a number of sailors actually were not exposed to the virus.

So any result that gives a much higher rate than this must also explain this data...

Here is the link Coronavirus infects 668 on French aircraft carrier

If I understood him correctly, Trump is hoping that sunlight and disinfectants can be used on the body to help eliminate the infection. Says Dr. Birx maybe should look into it. It's not clear whether he was speaking of an injection, ingestion, or a more topical treatment.

My go to is Tide Pods.
Trump suggests injecting disinfectant as coronavirus treatment
Trump: “I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning,

i thought this was some sort of joke and yet there is real video of that quote. I'm praying this reality is a simulation and we get a do-over at some point.

Last edited:

Huh? It's completely dependent on how much testing is done. The multiplier is different for every population. Australia, South Korea, and Iceland have small multipliers because they work hard to find everyone who is infected.
It's not a measure of the accuracy of the test. It's measure of how many asymptomatic and mild cases you're missing.
There's a prison in Ohio that has an 80% known infection rate because they tested everyone.

This is very different because they have the luxury of testing everyone on the carrier. So there isn't really such a thing as an undiscovered case (to first order - there actually probably are due to false negatives).

Outside of these special cases, it's very likely true that there are 10x the cases in many more heavily hit areas than have been identified, simply due to undertesting.

It's true that the crazy talk about 50 - 100x more cases were always unbelievable, just based on other data from other countries and their outcomes. That sort of ratio never made sense, based on 1) the ability of South Korea to control the virus, and 2) their observed CFR. Those observations pointed to a ballpark IFR, which then could be used to estimate approximate case numbers. And they never looked like 50-100x. There are ways to calculate it from epidemiological projections and simulated outbreak sizes, too. Those also were not consistent with the 50-100x numbers. Lots of different ways to do it, all of them pointing to something more in the 10x-20x range at most.

I just learned from David Baltimore 5 minutes ago, when he mentioned that polio was quite similar in this respect - there were many children who were infected who were asymptomatic or mildly affected. It's apparently not that unusual for viruses.

Reactions: mars_or_bust
Restaurants and gyms are allowed to open in Georgia but they must not have A/C and must install one 500W grow light per square meter of floor area.
The case of Georgia is curious.

First Trump sends out tweets to his followers to liberate all the states. Republican governors promptly fall in line and announce relaxation of lockdown.

Today Trump in the press conference / rant denounces Georgia governor Kemp, no less than 5 times for relaxing the lockdown too soon.

Trump approved of Georgia's reopen plan before bashing it

President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence repeatedly told Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp that they approved of his aggressive plan to allow businesses to reopen - just a day before Trump pulled an about-face and publicly bashed the plan​