Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That could explain some and supports suspicions voiced by Drosten in Germany I mentioned earlier.

We can hope. Definitely they need to quickly get some people who are high risk (health care workers?), get their blood drawn, figure out who has these antibodies, and then wait a few weeks, check again, log symptoms, etc., recheck antibodies, etc. As the paper mentions, the only way to check is to go through a SARS-CoV-2 exposure & infection.

We can hope. Definitely they need to quickly get some people who are high risk (health care workers?), get their blood drawn, figure out who has these antibodies, and then wait a few weeks, check again, log symptoms, etc., recheck antibodies, etc. As the paper mentions, the only way to check is to go through a SARS-CoV-2 exposure & infection.
I am early in my understanding of this CD-4 CD-8 data but I am wondering if this might explain some anecdotal reports of promising results in small studies of therapeutic approaches like Hydroxychloroquine or other anecdotal reports?

upload_2020-5-18_13-23-22.png

similar population to Australia +-25%
even similar testing as Australia +-33%
but weaker border controls than Australia, best thing Australia did was seal the borders and cause returnees to quarantine 14days in army/police guarded hotels (big step up from 14 days at home isolation, which itself is big step up from nothing)

Every time I read articles on vaccines I get more positive but the reality is they take a long time to be genuinely and empirically tested in large population sample sizes.

Below is consistent with several sources I've seen. Graphics below from: Opinion | How Long Will a Vaccine Really Take?

pFnHmmx.jpg

61ltLF4.jpg

I'll chime in even if I am not a medical expert. But my track record should suffice.

There is evidence of chronic re-infection just like the original SARS. We have more cases this time so these rare cases for sars 1 will be more widespread for sars 2.

Just curious . . .what track record is that? I would bet you have no professional background in healthcare, biology or the sciences. A track record of wild unsupported statements? And what is your specific evidence that chronic reinfection is taking place routinely? Other than just your hunch? Curious if you have any version of a reliable source or if this is just passing on a rumor. As for the dark notion that you could splice covid-19 or SARS 2 to rabies to get a super pathogen, that's a wild idea.

Every time I read articles on vaccines I get more positive but the reality is they take a long time to be genuinely and empirically tested in large population sample sizes.

Below is consistent with several sources I've seen. Graphics below from: Opinion | How Long Will a Vaccine Really Take?

pFnHmmx.jpg

61ltLF4.jpg

I’ve always been (perhaps naively?) confident that a vaccine would arrive in about a year. The stakes are just too great, and there are so many parallel paths working (different countries, etc.). Something will almost certainly work, and the probability of it making things worse upon infection seems low to me (possible, but I feel less likely than a normal immune response).

I’m even optimistic about the ability to scale production to allow mass access to the vaccine.

So far, so good.

The problem is that in the next 6-9 months plus, while we wait, we’ve got a raging epidemic. There are glimmers of hope that the summer will help, but any reopening that is done irresponsibly could tip the balance. We will know more in a couple weeks.

It’s almost like it would be beneficial to try to suppress the virus. How many 3 trillion dollar stimuli, exactly, are we planning to do until the vaccine arrives?

Reactions: 30seconds
There are glimmers of hope that the summer will help
I'm not sure that is clear. https://www.accuweather.com/en/heal...ut-how-covid-19-could-spread-in-the-us/707057
The seasons in the Northern Hemisphere are the opposite of those in the Southern Hemisphere. This means that in Argentina and Australia, winter begins in June. The winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere is June 20 or 21, while the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, is December 21 or 22.
4d226dec-549d-475a-a8ac-aa92813e5907-1.jpg

MSN article about blood markers that doctors have found in similar among children with MIS-C with hopes to identify the children most at risk for life-threatening conditions.

"Researchers at Imperial College London analysed blood from some of the sickest children and found they had high levels of five compounds that can be measured in routine tests. Two of the compounds, ferritin and C-reactive protein or CRP, are common blood markers for inflammation. The others are linked to heart damage and blood clotting, namely troponin, BNP and so-called “D-dimers”.

“We know that these markers are present in the very sick patients and at lower levels in some patients with normal Kawasaki disease,” said Michael Levin, a professor of paediatrics and international child health at Imperial."

Doctors raise hopes of blood test for children with coronavirus-linked syndrome

• Informative
Reactions: renim and TEG

pFnHmmx.jpg

61ltLF4.jpg

Most of this diagram is not applicable to the Moderna vaccine. I cannot read the article b/c it is behind a paywall.

1) Academic research was 99% complete because they piggy-backed off research already done on SARS and MERS (other coronaviruses).
2) Pre-clinical work was 99% done for the same reason as #1
3) "Building factories" will not be necessary because this is a mRNA based vaccine (we are hijacking the cells of those people injected to build the protein for the immune response). Building strands of RNA is a much simpler process and can be done in bulk quickly. Traditional vaccines have many many MANY more steps.

As you surmised, much of this was streamlined for the current pandemic.

Taiwan, SKorea and Vietnam are also much smaller countries with fewer points of entry, so, far easier to "lockdown". Not to mention they had prior recent virus scares that led to better overall preparedness.

And, it's possible that their universal TB vaccination policies may have conferred some viral immunity to their populations. The lower rates of mortality is interesting in those countries that still vaccinate for TB, compared to the ones that don't, like the US and Western Europe. Thankfully, numerous countries are testing the TB vaccine to see if there's something actually behind the data.

Reactions: eevee-fan