Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean "even with"?

What would you expect to happen with # of cases if you expand testing enough to catch 25% of all cases instead of just 15%?

What do you suggest? Test people at gunpoint? Testing is now readily available. People aren't going in to get tested.

Catching 25% of the cases would require martial law. Which is what a lot of people want. Our form of government survived a Civil War, two World Wars, the Cold War, and 9/11, only to be dissolved by an infectious disease that has killed 0.025% of the population. AIDS did a lot more damage (700,000 dead Americans and counting) and we haven't taken nearly the measures as we have taken in the last 3 months with a coronavirus.

Polio was virtually wiped out, but we never shut down the nation.

The Spanish Flu is still largest killer virus in US history, and C19 will have a hard time catching up. Over a million US deaths and rising every year even with herd immunity and a vaccine, and effective course of treatments.

Shouldn't we just shut down for good? We will never eliminate infectious diseases. Ever. And it's a certainty that C19 won't be the last pandemic of a new virus.

Also a bit surprising that we are not getting more information about which forms of mitigation are especially important, and so on. Obviously that can be difficult to find out, but nevertheless, considering that so many countries are affected, I would have expected more knowledge by now.

Just follow what Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea did. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, someone else already figured it out.

Some details on the “re-infection” incident aboard TR:
"All five sailors had previously tested positive and had gone through at least two weeks of isolation. As part of the process, they all had to test negative twice in a row, with the tests separated by at least a day or two before they were allowed to go back to the ship.
The sailors have been tested using the nasal swab. And in some cases the infection can be at such a low level that it is not detected by the test. It's not clear whether cases like these are actual relapses, or if people tested negative without really being completely clear of the virus.”

And eight more sailors retested positive yesterday.
Robin

Unless of course, you live by a busy street in which case your kids have a good chance of developing asthma. Seems very short-sighted.
Yep. That was exactly my point, I apologise for not making it clear.

Just like if we don't take preventative measures many are likely to get coronavirus and with it the risk of permanent health issues or worse.

or if people tested negative without really being completely clear of the virus.”

Seems a bit odd overall, but I'm curious what sort of tests they have been doing. I assume PCR but maybe not. I could see a number of things - mixed up test results, false positives followed by reinfection before being released to the ship, etc.

It's also possible that it really is possible to incubate the virus for a long time too, if they never suffered symptoms onshore.

Or they truly got reinfected. Seems kind of unlikely though - especially if they're showing symptoms now but never showed symptoms the first time.

Shouldn't we just shut down for good?

Not sure why you keep proposing this. You're, I think, literally the only one proposing that we keep the economy shut down, or shut down for good. No one else is suggesting we should not reopen the economy; it's very strange that people think that is an opinion other people have.

More good news today - well over 400k tests, about 20k positives. Some of these were some backlog clearing but most of it means more capacity. Positivity continuing to decline. We're only about 10x away from where we need to be on test capacity now (which would assure success with our current outbreak size, I think).

There's a chance that in some states the reopening may be modest enough that the increasing test capacity will be able to snub any spikes in infection. Will probably depend on if they are able to prevent superspreading events reliably, and keep it out of the health care and elder care systems.

If we can hold off massive spikes in infection on Memorial Day, the continued increase in test and trace capacity, combined with some minor temperature forcing, might help end this wave.

We'll see.

per-day-chart-deaths.png

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
WHO on immunity/reinfection of Covid19

From CNN April 25:
WHO says no evidence of Covid-19 immunity from antibodies - CNN

This is old but I haven't heard anything fro WHO that changes it. I think everybody wants there to be immunity from the virus once they have recovered but if we follow the experts on this, they tell us that there is no evidence that immunity comes with recovery. We can't pick and choose what we believe based on hope and want.

From CNN April 25:

This is old but I haven't heard anything fro WHO that changes it. I think everybody wants there to be immunity from the virus once they have recovered but if we follow the experts on this, they tell us that there is no evidence that immunity comes with recovery. We can't pick and choose what we believe based on hope and want.

There is no conclusive evidence on immunity from recovery.

That is different from no evidence.

NSW transport changes amid COVID-19

NSW
Green dots will be used on trains, buses and ferries to show passengers where to sit and stand to maintain the 1.5-metre social distancing rule.

* 12 people will be allowed on two-door buses in Sydney, 32 commuters on Waratah train carriages, and 245 people on a Freshwater ferry.

The network usually carries up to 2.3 million people daily, the capacity will now be between 550,000 and 600,000 people.

NSW transport changes amid COVID-19

NSW
Green dots will be used on trains, buses and ferries to show passengers where to sit and stand to maintain the 1.5-metre social distancing rule.

* 12 people will be allowed on two-door buses in Sydney, 32 commuters on Waratah train carriages, and 245 people on a Freshwater ferry.

The network usually carries up to 2.3 million people daily, the capacity will now be between 550,000 and 600,000 people.
What are the solutions to transport the other 1.7M people ? I can only think of car pooling and staggered work hours

From CNN April 25:

Are you just ignoring the important studies from this week which have been posted multiple times in this thread, showing a promising immune response? That is no guarantee, but it is a much better result than a poor immune response.

NYTimes had this article today on a 14 year old who had CV19 and then was diagnosised with MIS-C (multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, formerly referred to as PMIS a few weeks ago). Some of what he experienced:

"He had a tennis-ball-size lymph node, raging fever, racing heartbeat and dangerously low blood pressure. Pain deluged his body in “a throbbing, stinging rush,” he said.

“You could feel it going through your veins and it was almost like someone injected you with straight-up fire,” he said.

Jack, who was previously healthy, was hospitalized with heart failure that day, in a stark example of the newly discovered severe inflammatory syndrome linked to the coronavirus that has already been identified in about 200 children in the United States and Europe and killed several."

‘Straight-Up Fire’ in His Veins: Teen Battles New Covid Syndrome