Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Hahahaha Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine. Why doesn't he just inject bleach. Hahahahahaha"

OK, you've had your fun, but just remember that the Chinese got interested in chloroquine for COVID19 when they noticed the lupus patients in their hospitals weren't catching the virus, and we all know what lupus patients take.

What we really need is for one of the controlled studies of HCQ as a prophylactic to be completed. Until then the jury is still out.

From a Lupus web page.
Plaquenil is a slow-acting drug, meaning that it can take up to 6 months to experience the full benefits of this medication, but it is possible for symptoms to improve in as few as 1 or 2 months. Plaquenil and other antimalarials are the key to controlling lupus long-term, and some lupus pa....

Point is, Its a slow medication, best used before exposure not after...

Not applicable. That's slow-acting because Lupus is an autoimmune disease.

The drug itself reaches steady state after dosing in about 3-5 days.

Worldometers has recently added some mortality / IFR and other calculations.
Coronavirus Death Rate (COVID-19) - Worldometer

Using numbers from New York City, they calculated an IFR of 1.4% :

I was looking forward to this todya and happy to see they seperated out under 65 with no health concerns

0.09% chance of death for under 65 with no preexisting conditions.

I think we can start going back to work

Now that I would be really interested in, a family member was on that stuff for lupus and i doubt their blood concentration was steady state after 3-5 days for that regime. If you have any sources i would appreciative.

Hydroxychloroquine Blood Levels in SLE: Clarifying dosing controversies and improving adherence

That is missing the point, and think I understand why. I believe you are assuming that inflammation related to Lupus responds instantly to HCQ. That is an erroneous assumption, as inflammatory processes are multi-factoral and are notorious for taking time (weeks to months) to respond to medications.

Antibacterial or antiviral responses, however, must be much faster.

This paper shows that just 1 hour after HCQ ingestion you have good levels in the blood stream. To keep those up, you have to continue the dosing to counteract clearance of the drug.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.cir.96.12.4380

hc2471208001.jpg

EDIT - too bad we know this medicine, despite hitting good blood levels, doesn't do anything for COVID-19.

Reactions: JRP3
"Hahahaha Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine. Why doesn't he just inject bleach. Hahahahahaha"

OK, you've had your fun, but just remember that the Chinese got interested in chloroquine for COVID19 when they noticed the lupus patients in their hospitals weren't catching the virus, and we all know what lupus patients take.

What we really need is for one of the controlled studies of HCQ as a prophylactic to be completed. Until then the jury is still out.

I know someone who was on HCQ for lupus and got COVID. Anecdotals are just that unfortunately.

Last edited:
Posting stuff like this is beyond the pale. If you don’t understand the different MOAs involved in the two treatments then be silent and try to learn something.

Just because Trump admits he is a moron you don’t have to jump on the bandwagon.
Do you think there are people reading this thread, let alone listening to the medical opinions provided?

Trumper Confession.
He easily forgives himself

A Florida man who initially said he believed the coronavirus was a “fake crisis” that was “blown out of proportion” is now hospitalized with the virus, along with his wife, and he has a warning for others.

“Many people still think that the Coronavirus is a fake crisis which at one time I did too and not that I thought it wasn’t a real virus going around but at one time I felt that it was blown out of proportion and it wasn’t that serious,” Brian Hitchens wrote in a lengthy Facebook post last Tuesday.

Hitchens said he continued to downplay the pandemic until he began feeling sick and couldn’t work anymore, KTLA sister station KRON reported Monday.

Just days after he became sick, Hitchens said his wife also started feeling sick, went to a hospital and was told to self-quarantine.

Their conditions worsened, and they were admitted into a local medical center.

“They admitted us right away, and we both went to ICU. I started feeling better within a few days, but my wife got worse to the point where they sedated her and put her on the ventilator,” he said.

He said he was never put on a ventilator.

“Never had terrible aches and pains just weak and exhausted,” Hitchens said, adding that his wife remains sedated.

“After 3 weeks I have come to accept that my wife may pass away and the peace I have about it is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that she will be going home to be with the Lord but I also do believe in miracles and I’m holding on to the chance that she may get healed but if not I am thankful for her I know we’ve been married for 8 years,” he said.

He added, “So think about what I wrote and think about if this thing is a fake crisis.”

“Looking back I should have wore a mask in the beginning but I didn’t and perhaps I’m paying the price for it now but I know that if it was me that gave it to my wife I know that she forgives me and I know that God forgives me,” he added.

Last edited:
That is missing the point, and think I understand why. I believe you are assuming that inflammation related to Lupus responds instantly to HCQ. That is an erroneous assumption, as inflammatory processes are multi-factoral and are notorious for taking time (weeks to months) to respond to medications.

Antibacterial or antiviral responses, however, must be much faster.

This paper shows that just 1 hour after HCQ ingestion you have good levels in the blood stream. To keep those up, you have to continue the dosing to counteract clearance of the drug.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.cir.96.12.4380

View attachment 542791

EDIT - too bad we know this medicine, despite hitting good blood levels, doesn't do anything for COVID-19.

Thanks for the paper, to me it is indicative of how HCQ can be protective during the disease state of Covid19 even if it nothing against the virus itself.

Its just a theory, and the model is that the lung's Capillary blood vessels are the real covid19 damage. Point is, if HCD has a role in reducing size and duration of thrombosis in mice, perhaps the same can apply in human's lungs.

Would i want to start experimenting with QT altering medications once heart damage is starting? No.

The Minnesota Post-exposure Prophylaxis / Preemptive Therapy for SARS-Coronavirus-2 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov HCD study will take take months after study completion date due to observation requirement. And even then, its just one factor, the Chinese like their drug cocktails, and if it requires a synergistic effect to be effective, well that just takes more and more time to demonstrate.

Reactions: KenC
It is amazing to me that the difference between USA having a functioning economy and low morbidity/mortality from Covid-19 -- Vs the cluster going on now is a willingness to wear masks in public, engage in personal hygiene, and have a federal executive not mired in insanity.

Too much to ask, obviously

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I know someone who was on HCQ for lupus and got COVID. Anecdotals are just that unfortunately.
... but just remember that the Chinese got interested in chloroquine for COVID19 when they noticed the lupus patients in their hospitals weren't catching the virus, and we all know what lupus patients take.

I follow Lupus issues and I am not buying the Chinese anecdotal note above.

Lupus . org site: Are People with Lupus Protected Against COVID-19?
Are People with Lupus Protected Against COVID-19?
There is no evidence that taking hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is effective in preventing a person from contracting the coronavirus (COVID-19).
There are no currently available data from Randomized Clinical Trials (RCTs) to inform clinical guidance on the use, dosing, or duration of hydroxychloroquine for prophylaxis or treatment of SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Reactions: renim and bkp_duke