Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great description of public health, where the young and healthy wear masks to honor the elderly and infirm.
That is not a persuasive argument to 'Merkins. Read the posts of the person who was trolling here earlier today. It did not even occur to him/her that he might want to protect others. That is a very common sociopathy in the USA. I call it trumpism for brevity's sake.

The message that might resonate is 'Here is the deal: I don't infect you, and you don't infect me.'

Last edited:
Or: Here's the deal: we all wear masks and we can keep the economy functioning. Otherwise, we all lose.
I thought about that one but it only might work for the employed and business owners. So the additional message needed might have to be "And by the way, we all wear masks or the unemployment benefits are going away too."

We're not that smart here, the rest of the country can't be that dumb o_O

Austin blames labs use of fax machines for long wait times for coronavirus test results

"Austin Public health officials say that a recent drop in coronavirus cases after the city experienced a spike this month could be attributed to antiquated equipment labs are using to report data.

"I am stunned to hear that the way we are getting the results of the tests on infections is by fax. That's like a third world technology. Most young people don't even know what a fax machine is anymore," Travis County Commissioner Brigid Shea told CBS Austin. "This incredibly wasteful, stupid process of putting it on fax paper and faxing it to somebody so that they then have to manually enter it on a computer.”

Mark Escott, Interim Health Authority for Austin Public Health, told CBS Austin that the agency spends time manually entering thousands of results in their database each day.

"It's not uncommon for us to have a week to 10 days between when a person is tested and when their case is entered in the system so they can be called," Escott said."

Or: Here's the deal: we all wear masks and we can keep the economy functioning. Otherwise, we all lose.

I thought about that one but it only might work for the employed and business owners. So the additional message needed might have to be "And by the way, we all wear masks or the unemployment benefits are going away too."

Too complex for the average anti-masker.
It would confuse them, heh.

Have to really make it simple on a personal level like @SageBrush original message.

Reactions: jerry33
I am curious how people like this explain what's happening in other countries?
Seat belts don't provide total protection either...

Country context matters, 20 years ago i used to 'instruct' others how to wear a mask (junior engineers get that duty when site is too small for a dedicated safety officer for inducting new starters). I had work mates confide in me that they didn't need to because filtration was the job of nostril hair! I kept a poker face.

People will compensate, unfortunately in my country, 1 state has regressed in coronavirus control, and that was the state with the strictest lockdown (victoria).

Last edited:
@TespaceX It sure seems that way. I have heard of several places with people infected and I don't see anyone else there isolating, just looks like business as usual. I remember my county was on high alert back in the day with @15-20 getting infected a week, today alone we had 45, our highest one day total yet.....

1. Masks do not provide provide total protection.... the virus can enter you through the mucus membrane in your eyes and UNLESS your mask is absolutely airtight, it can enter from the bottom, top and sides.

Yeah, this is true. A few of the rest of your comments seem like nonsense. This virus is no joke.

Apparently you haven't been following along. Pretty much everyone here already knows this.

Here's my get-up for the grocery store (I usually add a surgical mask portion of material rubber band secured around the exhaust to protect others - even though I'm clean). If I'm living on the edge, I just use a full faceshield, rather than the goggles (more comfortable, no fogging, but definitely could be hazardous and not effective against a truly airborne virus):
IMG_7146.jpeg

And apparently you missed this guy (it's in his avatar). This is his grocery get-up:
61057627467__A4B0D513-32C8-4601-9CE4-1A71FC6E3600.jpeg

India and Brazil looking to knock the US off the top of the leader board. India is a slow burn right now but they have the reach over Brazil with a 6x population advantage. Will Brazil overtake the US before India catches up to them both?

Mexico looking to take that #4 spot from the UK around the same time the 1,2,3 shakeup occurs.

upload_2020-6-25_0-6-19.png

Here's my get-up for the grocery store (I usually add a surgical mask portion of material rubber band secured around the exhaust to protect others - even though I'm clean).
I would be cautious suggesting respirators as a substitute for your typical face covering since most would not bother to add filtration to the exhaust to protect others.

I would be cautious suggesting respirators as a substitute for your typical face covering since most would not bother to add filtration to the exhaust to protect others.

Yes. Though there are enough people walking around with valved N95s and other valved masks that the cat is kind of out of the bag.

I suspect the valved N95s are a bit less selfish than the full respirators though (some breath goes back out through the mask material).

Anyway, when I wear a valved N95 I slap a surgical mask over it.

I suspect all of these respirators likely still reduce droplet emissions (lots of surfaces to get through before emerging, and will certainly slow down sneezes, coughs, etc.), even though they are not as good as a proper mask at doing so. But no good for truly airborne transmission of the virus.

Reactions: byeLT4
Reactions: SageBrush
Anyone from TX?

My friend who is temporarily living there outside of Houston tells me no one gives one cent. It’s a free-for-all coronafest.
I'd say about 2/3 wear masks at the grocery store. However, these are the more careful grocery stores (Whole Paycheck and Central Market). 1/3 not wearing masks is pretty bad. I try to go early.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Reactions: kbM3 and SageBrush