Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also very interesting quote from the article:

Strikingly, 73 (61%) of the seroconverters reported no COVID-19 related symptoms (including loss of smell, loss of taste, cough, fever, and chills).
That really drives home the need to practice social distancing and COVID countermeasures at all times when about 2/3rds of those infected can be spreading the disease without even knowing they're sick.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Also very interesting quote from the article:

Strikingly, 73 (61%) of the seroconverters reported no COVID-19 related symptoms (including loss of smell, loss of taste, cough, fever, and chills).
That really drives home the need to practice social distancing and COVID countermeasures at all times when about 2/3rds of those infected can be spreading the disease without even knowing they're sick.
Yeah, pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread is the problem. Could be ~20 false positives in this study which would mean about half of actual infections reported no symptoms. That's in line with some other studies I've seen, especially if SpaceX employees skew younger than average.

Most common symptoms were fatigue, headache and cough. Fever was way down the list, so fever screening is probably not that useful.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yeah, pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic spread is the problem. Could be ~20 false positives in this study which would mean about half of actual infections reported no symptoms. That's in line with some other studies I've seen, especially if SpaceX employees skew younger than average.

Most common symptoms were fatigue, headache and cough. Fever was way down the list, so fever screening is probably not that useful.

Yes. This has been extremely well known since February 2020, and possibly January 2020 (I'd have to go back and look at the news stories).

the party affiliation is perhaps no surprise to many, but the identical trend in both parties is quite disturbing

upload_2021-2-21_20-54-31.png

Fortunately/Unfortunately, I think there will be an oversupply of vaccine doses in the US after we get through the eager beavers lining up in this early stage. Once we get through that group (myself included as I got my 2nd shot 3 days ago), I think the demand in the US will fall off a cliff unfortunately. But fortunately for other countries, I think they will be getting our surplus doses. Timeframe? I'll hazard a guess that it starts happening in 3 to 4 months. We are supposed to get another 200 M doses in the next 5 weeks and then another 200 M in the 5 weeks after that. We shall see.

I found a slightly more recent poll and the trend seems to have reversed. Still Republicans/less educated are lagging.. and repub slope up looks the shallowest after the kids

View attachment 638824

They should do a survey where they exclude people who have had PCR-verified or very likely case (known contact with PCR-positive individual followed by symptoms) of COVID.

I don’t think we should be counting people who have had COVID in these surveys - obviously their opinions will differ from the general population for a few reasons. The majority of them will likely be of the opinion that it is no big deal.

I’m guessing that accounts for part of the drop off since May. So if they include those people in the survey from May before they contracted the virus, and exclude them from November, I suspect we’d see better trends.

Last edited:
Interesting article.

Discrete SARS-CoV-2 antibody titers track with functional humoral stability | Nature Communications

Discrete SARS-CoV-2 antibody titers track with functional humoral stability
  • Yannic C. Bartsch,
  • Stephanie Fischinger,
  • Sameed M. Siddiqui,
  • Zhilin Chen,
  • Jingyou Yu,
  • Makda Gebre,
  • Caroline Atyeo,
  • Matthew J. Gorman,
  • Alex Lee Zhu,
  • Jaewon Kang,
  • John S. Burke,
  • Matthew Slein,
  • Matthew J. Gluck,
  • Samuel Beger,
  • Yiyuan Hu,
  • Justin Rhee,
  • Eric Petersen,
  • Benjamin Mormann,
  • Michael de St Aubin,
  • Mohammad A. Hasdianda,
  • Guruprasad Jambaulikar,
  • Edward W. Boyer,
  • Pardis C. Sabeti,
  • Dan H. Barouch,
  • Boris D. Julg,
  • Elon R. Musk,
  • Anil S. Menon,
  • Douglas A. Lauffenburger,
  • Eric J. Nilles&
  • Galit Alter

Thanks to: "In this study we included 4300 volunteers all of whom were employees at Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) that were followed from April 2020, including SARS-CoV-2 receptor-binding domain (RBD) antibody testing, and detailed symptomatology."
Remind me please what does this have to do with my Tesla Model 3? What, no pills or salve being offered here?

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and Yuri_G

Another take. Sounds like we'll find out how bad it is compared to the UK variant in time.

“It’s not as big a deal as the others,” Dr. Hanage said. He speculates that if scientists sequence more coronavirus genomes in other places, they’ll find more of these moderately fast-spreading mutants. “Maybe variants are everywhere, and we’re just seeing them at the places where there’s sequencing,” he said.

We may soon get some new insights about how seriously to take these emerging variants. B.1.1.7 arrived in California only around the start of December, and although it’s been doubling every 12 days or so, it’s still roughly just 2 percent of coronaviruses in the state.

Now California is going to become a kind of viral cage match between the two variants. “My suspicion is that the B.1.1.7 will win out,” Dr. Hanage said.

Studies Examine Variant Surging in California, and the News Isn’t Good

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC and JRP3
Another take. Sounds like we'll find out how bad it is compared to the UK variant in time.

Studies Examine Variant Surging in California, and the News Isn’t Good

Not too worried. If anything, this is good news, since we seem to be on a downward trend in infections, near the fall low, for the time being. As long as that continues all is well (whether it will...well, very hard to predict). I expect it'll probably level out shortly. But I hope that cases continue to decline to all-time lows (below 2000 a day).

Still not clear exactly why this is happening. My pet theory is: pockets of near herd immunity in the disadvantaged communities, while sheltered communities continue to shelter (and probably still will until they are vaccinated I would guess - why would they risk otherwise?). Combine with vaccination, and you see these declines, due to "effective" herd immunity. I also think cutting off the nexus of spread in hospitals & LTCFs and their workers with vaccination is a stronger effect than might be imagined (offset by the currently sheltered and not at-risk communities hogging the remainder of the vaccines, of course).

Assuming the vaccines continue to work well (which seems likely):

I think the "new" mortality is mostly over in California (after about two months when most of the people in long-term hospital stays die). I expect us to drop to below ~20 deaths per day by mid-April. Driven by decline in case numbers and vaccination of the vulnerable.

Hoping the same applies nationwide. Still having a hard time reconciling Fauci and the Biden Administration's pessimistic projections of July for the "end" or Christmas for "normal" vs. what I think is going to happen. I think I understand the various ways it could end up playing out in a way different than I expect (bad assumptions)...but I still think that:

Given the "entrenched" sheltering taking place in communities which have not been heavily impacted, and the basic changes to human behavior on average (unrelated to mandates or regulations) I suspect that R0 for the virus can't exceed 2 right now. (There's very high spread on that number of course depending on the community, etc.)

So that means herd immunity threshold of 50%. Which is far lower than I think is being assumed. Obviously it's a "fragile" and unstable herd immunity (because it is dependent on people's behavior remaining altered), but I do think this is going to drive continued drop in cases. And there's a positive feedback loop of mitigation and suppression measures (tracing, isolating, better testing coverage, etc.) which will start to become more effective if we can get the numbers low enough (I think we'd need less than 5-10k cases per day nationwide for that effect to become really strong).

I guess we'll see. Lots of assumptions that can go the wrong way, and it's pretty easy to end up on the wrong side of the exponential.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel and Yuri_G
have relatives that work at hospitals that have refused to get the vaccine.

Not surprised. Though in the end it is the %s that matter and word of mouth will end up being a powerful thing to erode away the holdouts, I suspect. I was just pointing out that right now, it is not a problem, because there are so many people who want the vaccine, and that situation will persist for months. Obviously those communities that are reluctant to get the vaccine for whatever reason will suffer as a result. But in terms of vaccination numbers, it is not an obstacle.

Not surprised. Though in the end it is the %s that matter and word of mouth will end up being a powerful thing to erode away the holdouts, I suspect. I was just pointing out that right now, it is not a problem, because there are so many people who want the vaccine, and that situation will persist for months. Obviously those communities that are reluctant to get the vaccine for whatever reason will suffer as a result. But in terms of vaccination numbers, it is not an obstacle.
I hope you are correct in future trends. But some of these health workers saying "pass" are people that could get the vaccine in an hour if they wanted and in some cases get paid $500 to get it. Worse, they work with patients coming and could pass Covid onto someone coming in for an angioplasty, colonoscopy, or a twisted ankle.

And as the vaccination of older people completes, this hesitancy may get worse. A lot of younger people think it is not a big deal if they get Covid since statistically their risk of death or severe illness is low. However, that means they can still pass it along and become carriers for new varients for which the current vaccines are ineffective. If that happens we could end up in another cycle while we wait for boosters that work against the new variant. We really need to get everyone vaccinated ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: shinytop