Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are 12 important questions and answers before considering getting vaccinated:

●”If I get vaccinated can I stop wearing a mask(s)?”

Government: “NO”

●”If I get vaccinated will the restaurants, bars, schools, fitness clubs, hair salons, etc. reopen and will people be able to get back to work like normal?

●”If I get vaccinated will I be resistant to Covid?”

Government: “Maybe. We don’t know exactly, but probably not.”

●”If I get vaccinated, at least I won’t be contagious to others – right?”

Government: “NO. the vaccine doesn’t stop transmission.”

●”If I get vaccinated, how long will the vaccine last?”

Government: “No one knows. All Covid “vaccines” are still in the experimental stage.”

● “If I get vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?”

● “If my parents, grandparents and myself all get vaccinated can we hug each other again?”

● “So what’s the benefit of getting vaccinated?”

Government: “Hoping that the virus won’t kill you.”

●”Are you sure the vaccine won’t injure or kill me?”

●”If statistically the virus won’t kill me (99.7% survival rate), why should I get vaccinated?”

Government: “To protect others.”

●”So if I get vaccinated, I can protect 100% of people I come in contact with?”

● “If I experience a severe adverse reaction, long-term effects (still unknown) or die from the vaccine will I (or my family) be compensated from the vaccine manufacture or the Government?”

Government: “NO – the government and vaccine manufacturer’s have 100% zero liability regarding this experimental drug”

So to summarize, the Covid19 “vaccine”…

Does not provide immunity

Does not eliminate the virus

Does not prevent death

Does not guarantee you won’t get it

Does not stop you from passing it on to others

If you’re over 70 years old, with additional health risk factors... the right decision about getting the vaccine is about 50/50, based on personal choice. For all others, there doesn’t seem to be much benefit to participating in an experimental drug trial.
Rant discrimination parameter: any post that references the word 'govmint' 25x is a high probability a rant. Probability of a rant is increased further if the person complaining about the govmint actually supports authoritarian government i e the previous administration.

Thanks for posting that Allen. Of course the interesting question and I don't know if they addressed this in the study was what percentage of the re-infected actually had a variant, as mutation of the spike protein can affect the epitopes for the antibodies significantly.

Yeah, a little hard to say. Many variants. There are only a couple that show significant changes in neutralizing activity though (the 501Y.V2 (B.1.351) and 501Y.V3 (P.1) are significant).

Here's the behavior of variants over time in Denmark (within the limits of the sampling bias, of course):
(Source: CoVariants)

You can see there was good diversity during the time window of the study, but I'm not aware of major neutralizing activity changes in any of those variants.

I suspect given the differences in susceptibility to infection vs. age (older people much more susceptible), that suggests it's more likely to be driven by antibody responses to the first infection than a change in variant - at this point (since old people would see the same diversity of viruses as younger people). Once B.1.351 becomes dominant, that will change (right now you can see 501Y.V1 (B.1.1.7) squeezing everything else out, which is probably a good thing, on balance).
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.34.52 AM.png

Deciphering VOCs:

Last edited:
We got our first shots of Pfizer around noon. They must use tiny needles because I couldn't tell that the nurse jabbed me (I haven't had a shot in years). Anyway, this evening my only "symptom" is soreness in an inch diameter area around the shot. It feels like a bruise. Not sure if that means anything. My wife, on the other hand, is apparently Conan the Barbarian. No issues at all for her. I could see her in a Hans and Franz voice thinking, you're such a girly man, feeling sore from such a puny needle. :)
Yaaa . . but it's not the size of the puny needle it is da size of da mRNA inside the puny needle. And that RNA is massive and it will crush you with its buttocks muscles. Yaa hear me now and see me latah
1616092497048.png

Polling has its limits. I expect over time there will be 10-15% higher acceptance of the vaccine and we'll easily get to 75% from the current 67%, and with a little outreach, 80% should come relatively easily. That should be enough. I wouldn't be surprised by 80-85% vaccine coverage by the end of this year.

I think there's a lot of hesitance, and the lack of vaccine also discourages people and tends to make them say no.

In addition, when being asked whether you plan to get a vaccine in a poll, a performative "no" response seems pretty likely, based on partisan lean. But I doubt it will hold over time. I think it's just people being curmudgeons and sticking it to the deep state. Most of them don't really mean it! I can see 1 in 7 people being unpersuadable though. To the extent it ends up being higher, I suspect it will be people who know they've already had it, which is less of an issue (though not perfect of course, giving only 80% protection for a period of time).
I have a bet with my SO, by 10/1/21 percentage of fully vaccinated US age > 16 will be less than 70%.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I commonly see assertions that there Is no help if there is an injury as a result of a COVID 19 vaccination. There a special process funded by the government to evaluate and make monetary payouts. This is outside the court system.

See point 7:

I have a bet with my SO, by 10/1/21 percentage of fully vaccinated US age > 16 will be less than 70%.
Seriously, I think it depends on how the cases go. If there is another wave, I expect more people to get vaccinated. Fear is a big motivator. If the cases are relatively "low" (like its now) - then a lot of them won't get vaccinated. This is what happened in India - the cases went down and vaccine appointments were going unused. Even doctors are not getting vaccinated (<50% in my brother's hospital).

Another twist are the variants and what further information we get about how the vaccines handle the variants. I won't be surprised if booster shots for variants will be here by October and we start another round of vaccinations all over again.

I'm also afraid the recent blood clot news about Astra-Zeneca will be used to tar all the vaccines by anti-vaxxers.

Seriously, I think it depends on how the cases go. If there is another wave, I expect more people to get vaccinated. Fear is a big motivator.

The third wave is here.

For many weeks now, the number of cases and hospitalizations has been going down across the country. Unfortunately, that trend has now reversed in the state of Michigan. Cases * and * hospitalizations are both on the rise there.
EwzaUqSU8Ach5tw.jpeg

The third wave is here.
Fourth wave, though I guess third for some places. There are a few states where this is starting to happen

Yeah, the hospitalizations rising is troubling, but also expected, to some extent. It’ll be interesting to see where these hospitalizations are occurring and what the affected age groups are. Might be an access/acceptance issue. And also we will see how much oomph this wave has. Hopefully not much.

Thread suggests low vaccination rates in at-risk communities - would be good to see how these hospitalizations correspond. Hopefully someone will do the leg work.

Need to keep vaccinating!

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV

These people should be thankful I'm not in Hospital Administration . . . COVID-19 vaccination would be a job requirement.

Morons, absolute dumbasses.

These people should be thankful I'm not in Hospital Administration . . . COVID-19 vaccination would be a job requirement.

This annoys me tremendously because I'm having to enter medical facilities these days to get some treatment for my shoulder. It should be a nearly perfectly safe environment at this point (patients are kept well isolated from one another), but it sounds like it's not.

Seems like the third/fourth surge is just beginning. It seems to be coming perhaps a week later than predicted by models (though that could be due to the models providing day of symptoms and the surge being the day of report).

We'll see how bad it is (I expect we'll remain below 100k for the 7-day average, which is quite high but depends on the age distribution). I'm still optimistic that in many states it's going to end up being very mild due to immunity from infection and vaccination. Just have to keep a close eye on those hospitalizations as the cases spike. I expect the surge will be largely cut off and brought to a halt by late April, regardless. At that point there should be just too much immunity to support a massive outbreak.

It's bad news for school reopening, of course. We really want minimal community spread and very low baseline levels for that to avoid having children killing their parents with the virus. The resumption of spread is not going to make successful reopening easier. Still no talk of rapid tests.

My wife says that just about everyone of her office staff has gotten vaccinated, but the hospital employees are only about half vaccinated. That seems assbackwards to me as the hospital staff should have seen or talked to people who saw what COVID can do to people. Though the office staff sees the longhaulers so maybe that worries them. As soon as I qualify I will get vaccinated. My county is one of the worse for percent vaccinated in the state of Pennsylvania which is pretty pisspoor overall. Did I mention that our county arranged for prison guards to get vaccinated and only 20% did? What is wrong with these people?

Taking a very casual look at the vaccination and daily case numbers, it seems like many states that are doing better than the average with vaccinations are actually the ones seeing an increase in cases recently. Could be a coincidence, but I feel like it’s the vaccinations causing populations to act as if life can now be back to normal. Or, maybe these states have opened things up earlier coinciding with higher vaccination rates.

We’ll see what happens in CA as we’re a little below average in terms of % population vaccinated and the state is opening everything up.

So many covid stories that break your heart reading. This guy, Kent Taylor CEO of Texas Roadhouse Restaurants, sounded like the gem of the earth. Even gave his employees his salary from March 2020 thru January 2021 to keep them afloat during this hardship. He caught covid and suffered from bad post-covid symptoms including severe tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Lost his battle at only age 65 from suicide. This disease affects so many people in different ways.

Can’t comprehend why anyone would want to roll the dice and be at higher risk of getting it for lack of mask wearing, social distancing and not getting vaccinated. As far as it being fake news—the whole world is experiencing it so come on. More countries headed into next wave now with these variants, and with relaxed socializing levels, Spring Break and Easter/Passover coming up with friends and family I expect well be experiencing more of the same.

With 630 restaurant locations in 49 states chances are good many of you may have eaten in one of his.

Last edited:
Taking a very casual look at the vaccination and daily case numbers, it seems like many states that are doing better than the average with vaccinations are actually the ones seeing an increase in cases recently. Could be a coincidence, but I feel like it’s the vaccinations causing populations to act as if life can now be back to normal. Or, maybe these states have opened things up earlier coinciding with higher vaccination rates.

We’ll see what happens in CA as we’re a little below average in terms of % population vaccinated and the state is opening everything up.
Could have to do with
Risk compensation - Wikipedia

People getting careless because 'everything's OK now'.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Taking a very casual look at the vaccination and daily case numbers, it seems like many states that are doing better than the average with vaccinations are actually the ones seeing an increase in cases recently.

No idea is this is true (have not been looking at the data closely lately).

It’s also possible that those states with the best numbers overall are doing the least well in terms of targeting of their vaccinations. If they are underperforming on vaccinations of the elderly or communities with a high social vulnerability index, while getting very high overall numbers due to an “easy” rollout, you would expect outbreaks to be more severe in those states with the most vaccinations, due to this reason. Outbreaks are very much non-homogenous, so it makes sense to get the communities most likely to have an outbreak vaccinated at high levels, early.

Just speculation though, based on zero analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikolaACDC