Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't have much of a reaction to Moderna.

Wonder if it affects certainly people because of the 30 ug (Pfizer) vs 100 ug (Moderna) situation.

This Chicago Tribune article mentions the same number (100 micrograms vs 30). Again, maybe this doesn't matter at all. We continue to look at this for consideration of a booster shot in the future or assuming that it is annual.

L8xAumi.jpg
I’m particularly sensitive to medicines, regardless; a less is more kind of person when it comes to medications. I can have a full blown migraine, take a single extra strength Aspirin, be out like a light in 10 minutes and wake up a few hours later feeling almost normal. I was once prescribed Tylenol w/codeine for pain management for a broken leg. I took one and was so high 30 minutes later I didn’t take anymore and just dealt with the pain. When I was in the hospital post surgery for that broken leg, they were giving me morphine. Once I was cognizant, I refused that too; didn’t like how it made me feel. I’ve had some bad trips coming out of anesthesia too.

Point being, I expected the side effects and thus planned the timing of the shots - read: cleared my schedule so I could spend as much time as necessary in bed. It still took me longer to recover than I expected; a full month to get back to normal - stamina/energy.

I will get a booster early next spring but I’m going to try for Pfizer at that time, unless new information comes out.

I had horrific side effects from the Moderna and comparing those I know; the Moderna people suffered far more side effects and greater intensity of said side effects than the Pfizer people. J&J people were somewhere between the two.

I’m particularly sensitive to medicines, regardless; a less is more kind of person when it comes to medications. I can have a full blown migraine, take a single extra strength Aspirin, be out like a light in 10 minutes and wake up a few hours later feeling almost normal. I was once prescribed Tylenol w/codeine for pain management for a broken leg. I took one and was so high 30 minutes later I didn’t take anymore and just dealt with the pain. When I was in the hospital post surgery for that broken leg, they were giving me morphine. Once I was cognizant, I refused that too; didn’t like how it made me feel. I’ve had some bad trips coming out of anesthesia too.

Point being, I expected the side effects and thus planned the timing of the shots - read: cleared my schedule so I could spend as much time as necessary in bed. It still took me longer to recover than I expected; a full month to get back to normal - stamina/energy.

I will get a booster early next spring but I’m going to try for Pfizer at that time, unless new information comes out.
Well you left out a few details when you stated you had 'horrific side effects from Moderna'. Clearly, your personal situation is not close to normal folks on many levels.

Reactions: byeLT4
Well you left out a few details when you stated you had 'horrific side effects from Moderna'. Clearly, your personal situation is not close to normal folks on many levels.
I didn’t leave anything out that was relevant to the question being asked. I’ve had other vaccines in my life with minimal side effects, but I suspected I’d pay the price with this vaccine based on what was happening in my circle of friends and acquaintances. If I’d had the choice, I’d have gotten Pfizer.

My mother who is even more sensitive to medications than I am - she actually has allergies/has had allergic reactions to many medications, whereas I have no known drug allergies - had the Pfizer and got nothing more than some redness and localized injection site pain.

So again, every single person I know who got Moderna (all of us individuals with our own ‘normals’) had more side effects and a greater intensity of said side effects than every other person I know who had Pfizer (all of them individuals with their own ‘normals’); all of the latter had very few and very minor side effects. While the J&J peeps landed in the middle. That’s just what happened.

I can relate to your experiences. I'm very sensitive to medications too. I got the J&J and had a reaction too. I was able to continue work (from home), but I had a fever for two days and didn't too anything that was very mentally taxing.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
I didn’t leave anything out that was relevant to the question being asked. I’ve had other vaccines in my life with minimal side effects, but I suspected I’d pay the price with this vaccine based on what was happening in my circle of friends and acquaintances. If I’d had the choice, I’d have gotten Pfizer.

My mother who is even more sensitive to medications than I am - she actually has allergies/has had allergic reactions to many medications, whereas I have no known drug allergies - had the Pfizer and got nothing more than some redness and localized injection site pain.

So again, every single person I know who got Moderna (all of us individuals with our own ‘normals’) had more side effects and a greater intensity of said side effects than every other person I know who had Pfizer (all of them individuals with their own ‘normals’); all of the latter had very few and very minor side effects. While the J&J peeps landed in the middle. That’s just what happened.
I had the flu shot last November, had a migraine the day after and felt sick for 3 days, about the same feeling as having the flu. I can relate to your symptoms with covid vaccine. It is the immunitary response build up and Interferon Gamma secondary to that that make you feel sick. Inflammatory immune response. It really is a pain in the ass. Men usually have higher levels of interferon gamma spike after vaccines or during infection to Influenza. That‘s why a study showed men suffer from more perceived severe symptoms during flu infection than women. I get the flu shot every season to protect the elderly patients that come from consultations but if I was working from home, not seeing anyone, having 3 days sick every year to have 50% immunity protection to seasonal flu would have to be balanced in a rational decision.

I had the luck to have zero side effects of my 2 Pfizer vaccines so I will not even hesitate to have 2 or 3 annual Covid-shots every year if needed. But for people having severe side effects, that would be a discouraging factor. I would switch vaccines and try to grab the one with less side effects.

Tyson Degrasse still has his wise Word on vaccination

Reactions: Doggydogworld
This headline and the article is a tad dis-ingenuous.

Questions:
1) what % of the educator population do these 10 people represent? 1%? 0.1%? 0.001%?
2) is that death rate above the baseline rate for the state and their age groups?
3) were they vaccinated? if so, how many?

Looking at the school calendar for Miami Dade, the in-person teaching didn't start till Monday August 23rd:

Strong indication that some of these 15 educators would have likely already been infected and sick before school started (which was 12 days ago).

Typical lazy reporting, click-bait, nothing else. There is no meat to this article.
Miami-Dade has 18.4k FTE teachers. Maybe 18.5-19k actual people, part-time teachers aren't usually common. They show another 7.5k aids, admin, guidance counselors, etc. and another 7.3k "other support services" which I figure is mostly custodial and cafeteria. I'll exclude the latter.

15 dead out of 26k people in a 10 day period is 58 per million per day. Florida death reporting has turned squirrely, but it looks like they're around 12 per million per day. Maybe as high as 15 the past ten days. I won't comment on the statistical relevance since that only draws personal insults....

Miami-Dade has 18.4k FTE teachers. Maybe 18.5-19k actual people, part-time teachers aren't usually common. They show another 7.5k aids, admin, guidance counselors, etc. and another 7.3k "other support services" which I figure is mostly custodial and cafeteria. I'll exclude the latter.

15 dead out of 26k people in a 10 day period is 58 per million per day. Florida death reporting has turned squirrely, but it looks like they're around 12 per million per day. Maybe as high as 15 the past ten days. I won't comment on the statistical relevance since that only draws personal insults....
The sad thing about our current education system... almost as many support jobs as teaching positions.

People getting boosters need to stop screwing up the stats by saying it is their first dose. Just say it is your third dose! No one is going to stop you from getting it!

They really just need to relax and start giving out third doses and start tracking them properly.

There’s this talk about first doses increasing…but it seems fairly doubtful that they are increasing quite as much as it appears.

People getting boosters need to stop screwing up the stats by saying it is their first dose. Just say it is your third dose! No one is going to stop you from getting it!
Unfortunately, not true in Texas. Only certain at risk people are allowed a third dose. Age alone doesn't count, you have to have a medical condition.

• Disagree
Reactions: linux-works
Unfortunately, not true in Texas. Only certain at risk people are allowed a third dose. Age alone doesn't count, you have to have a medical condition.
This is not really controlled at the state level. No one is going to stop you. I assure you. They will ask whether you qualify. If you want a third dose, it’s critical that you say yes to that question. Bring your vaccine card!

This is not really controlled at the state level. No one is going to stop you. I assure you. They will ask whether you qualify. If you want a third dose, it’s critical that you say yes to that question. Bring your vaccine card!
When we asked at the pharmacy today (while getting flu shots and before my first post) we were told it was not allowed except for certain at risk people and we could not get one. So, yes, you are going to be stopped.

When we asked at the pharmacy today (while getting flu shots and before my first post) we were told it was not allowed except for certain at risk people and we could not get one. So, yes, you are going to be stopped.
Not really. If you say you qualify they will give you a booster. They are not going to police it. The ethics of this of course can be debated. (I happen to think it’s fine - it’s to protect your own health, and the health of vulnerable people you may live with, and it has no impact on others at this point - but others may have other opinions.)

Pharmacists are not going to be giving people interrogations.

Of course, if you ask if you can get it, that’s a different question - the answer to that question will of course be “no.” And certainly they will not give you one at the same time as a flu shot - unless they have changed the guidance there.

I know people who have received their booster, got the third line on their card filled out, who do not “qualify” in any sense.

It seems to me to be a good idea, if you want to minimize your chance of infection…. Should queue mine up…it’s been nearly 5 months.

Though rare, it is still possible to get quite ill and I would like to minimize that chance:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTXqqI6vv6d/?utm_medium=copy_link

42F36CF3-DB6B-48C3-9F7D-894C50E9E5D3.jpeg

Last edited:

They really just need to relax and start giving out third doses and start tracking them properly.

There’s this talk about first doses increasing…but it seems fairly doubtful that they are increasing quite as much as it appears.
I lost my CDC card in the Frankfurt airport last week. It slipped out of my passport after it was used/returned during the document check. While everyone in Italy has accepted the photo image on my phone this week (did I mention it is a great idea to take a photo of your card), it is not the card. And for Americans that is the only record we have. I will call the pharmacy tomorrow to see if I can get a new one but I may be forced to get a J&J shot just to get the card again if they can’t help. Europeans all seem to have the digital pass which is probably why no one questioned my photo of my card.

I lost my CDC card in the Frankfurt airport last week. It slipped out of my passport after it was used/returned during the document check. While everyone in Italy has accepted the photo image on my phone this week (did I mention it is a great idea to take a photo of your card), it is not the card. And for Americans that is the only record we have. I will call the pharmacy tomorrow to see if I can get a new one but I may be forced to get a J&J shot just to get the card again if they can’t help. Europeans all seem to have the digital pass which is probably why no one questioned my photo of my card.

Californians can access their shot record digitally. I have a copy stored on my phone.

Not really. If you say you qualify they will give you a booster. They are not going to police it. The ethics of this of course can be debated. (I happen to think it’s fine - it’s to protect your own health, and the health of vulnerable people you may live with, and it has no impact on others at this point - but others may have other opinions.)

Pharmacists are not going to be giving people interrogations.
Except that's literally what happened to him.

Did you already try their lost & found ?
Lost & Found at Frankfurt Airport

And I guess you could already get started with this:
Did you lose your CDC COVID-19 vaccine card? We can help by sending you a record of your immunizations!

"Please allow 7-10 business days for fulfillment of your vaccine record request."