Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of FSD to start increasing after May 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago it was a $2k upgrade. Now it’s a $5k upgrade. Next month, it’s an $8k upgrade. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

It’s business. Tesla has to make money. He’s making it work as he goes along.

Again, I’ll take all these ups and downs over ANY other traditional auto dealer out there.
I love what Tesla is doing and has done.
I can’t stand other auto dealers out there.

Elon says a lot of things, including how Model 3 is now an appreciating asset. ROFL.
(if it was true, the lease payment would negative (you could get money), since capital cost would be negative - but of course, just like there is Elon time, Elon reality, I guess there is now Elon accounting too).

If you watch the interview, I felt like he was using the term differently, meaning "appreciation" in terms of increasing capabilities of the vehicle, but not necessarily price (which would always be set by price and availability of new).

One can only have a sense of humor about Tesla announcements and Musk tweets. Weren’t we told less than a week ago that all Teslas would have AP included? Yet it is still listed as an option for Model S, so I guess it only applied to Model 3. The announcement on Tesla’s blog still states “all Tesla vehicles” will have AP. Maybe I’ll call the local not a dealer and find out the truth, as if they would have a clue either.

Reactions: focher
Elon Tweeted that the cost of FSD will start substantially increase after May 1st. In a reply to the tweet he hinted it could be as much as a $3,000 increase.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Tesla needs money and one way to make money would be to sucker lots of people into paying for FSD by hinting that it's going to be so awesome that they'll be able to raise the price substantially and people will still buy it. Elon Musk is ruthless, so would do that.

What we can say with confidence, is that Tesla will not deliver anything major by May 1st (otherwise, the FSD would have spoken for itself and people will just buy it). Well, Tesla published ‘demo’ back in 2016. Now it will be a better demo, something they can at least show to outsiders sitting in a car. I guess two more years before the demo will become reality for us.

I would hope Tesla will deliver ANYTHING at all as FSD, as compared to EAP. That would be the first step. My bar of expectations is very low.

Reactions: cwerdna
It’s business. Tesla has to make money. He’s making it work as he goes along.

Again, I’ll take all these ups and downs over ANY other traditional auto dealer out there.
I love what Tesla is doing and has done.
I can’t stand other auto dealers out there.

In full agreement. I pick up my Model 3 this week, and it’s been the — by far — smoothest vehicle transaction ever.

Can’t wait.

If you watch the interview, I felt like he was using the term differently, meaning "appreciation" in terms of increasing capabilities of the vehicle, but not necessarily price (which would always be set by price and availability of new).
Ah, find print time, maybe for Elon, "appreciating asset" is "an asset which appreciates its owner and the money they spent acquiring the asset"? ;)

Elon always claimed that all Teslas get better all time because of over-the-air updates. Having been a Tesla customer for a while, I can tell you that is not true. One example, my browser is dead since v9, with occasional signs of life. It used to work reliably. Of course, maybe that will also be spun as "not being able to browse is a safety feature" so broken browser is in fact better, therefore Elon was right, the car did get better when the browser stopped working. :rolleyes:

Someone should start an Elon dictionary of terms, "soon" is always on glacial time scale, "700hp car" means some part of a car could handle close 700hp, not the the car will even come close to producing it (by Elon's definition I had a 1000hp Lexus RX, because the windshield could handle 1000hp), "car will find you anywhere on private property" means "car will drive up to 40ft in a straight line while someone holds a deadman switch making sure the car doesn't hit something", "everyone gets a P100D loaner" means "someone might get a P100D loaner", etc, etc.

Last edited:
Picking up my car Saturday... I still believe FSD should be 3k so i won’t pay the current price or the upcoming increased price. Want some extra $$$ Tesla? Make it 3k for a day and watch people freak out and buy it like crazy