Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPOs will keep unlimited supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the logic here. Of course cars sold privately would still keep supercharging for life, but for cars traded in to Tesla, the promise no longer applies. Tesla could sell the used car with whatever supercharging policy it wanted, as long as it was disclosed to the buyer. Why sell these with unlimited supercharging when new cars will only have 400 kWh/yr? The CPOs will be purchased by price-sensitive buyers who live near superchargers and will contribute to supercharger overcrowding. This seems to be an unforced error.

Reactions: apacheguy
The whole process of charging fees at superchargers is poorly planned and executed (action not executed yet)... The idle fees is messed up and has ambiguities. And this has been delayed, and the fees as of 1/15 are still to be disclosed.

Doesn't this also pretty much confirm that Tesla isn't wringing their hands worrying about how the Supercharger network will be "bursting at the seams" once the Model 3 comes out?

I guess the additional Supercharger usage initially would only be CPO cars sold that will now have Supercharging enabled versus not enabled, plus private sales. Thats a relatively small number of vehicles relative to new vehicles being sold, which will have limited Supercharging capability. And both will be a drop in the bucket relative to the Model 3 numbers when the line gets to full production. I guess Tesla's thinking is something like, the Supercharger network is going to have to be beefed up in any case, allowing lifetime Supercharging for CPO's and private sales isn't a huge additional burden. And it provides a nice bump in resale value for those current and future owners who care about it that much.

RT

Reactions: Cyclone
Nice! Will make for an interesting dynamic though with used cars from Tesla having a feature new ones don't

Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned vehicles still have unlimited free Supercharging, says Tesla President
Great news for existing owners selling privately as well. Definitely not what I expected. Happy to admit I was wrong about this one.
You and me both. I thought for sure they would turn off CPOs (and private sales too)
I don't understand the logic here. Of course cars sold privately would still keep supercharging for life, but for cars traded in to Tesla, the promise no longer applies. Tesla could sell the used car with whatever supercharging policy it wanted, as long as it was disclosed to the buyer. Why sell these with unlimited supercharging when new cars will only have 400 kWh/yr? The CPOs will be purchased by price-sensitive buyers who live near superchargers and will contribute to supercharger overcrowding. This seems to be an unforced error.

This is how I felt Tesla was going to do it from the beginning. All 2012 - 2016 cars have unlimited supercharger access (unless blacklisted/salvage), 2017 cars and on would have 400 kWh free + a handful of cars with a flag for unlimited (the 2012 - 2016 cars will likely use the same flag). Much more consistent across the board for their cars that way and an incentive on the older models to help prop up resale values.

Doesn't this also pretty much confirm that Tesla isn't wringing their hands worrying about how the Supercharger network will be "bursting at the seams" once the Model 3 comes out?

I wonder if they feel the idle fees will fix the majority of the problematic locations (I saw TWO open superchargers on a Friday at Burbank last week!). I would love to see their numbers on the cars left past charge completion (clogging up a location) vs just sheer volume causing backlogs.

I wonder if they feel the idle fees will fix the majority of the problematic locations (I saw TWO open superchargers on a Friday at Burbank last week!). I would love to see their numbers on the cars left past charge completion (clogging up a location) vs just sheer volume causing backlogs.
And I was able to charge in Roseville on a Friday night returning from big snow in Tahoe. Could it be helping? I most certainly hope so.

Perhaps they are trying to simplify the register of which cars have "free" Supercharging. This way there is a VIN cutoff and cars prior to that are grandfathered and cars after the cutoff numbers are in the new program.
Not that simple-- some 60s were sold without supercharging enabled. But you could say that all cars before a certain VIN that have supercharging enabled have unlimited supercharging.

The interesting part of this is that it makes used and CPO cars more desirable than new ones. That's why it is a surprise to me.

Unless you are a buyer who desires AutoPilot 2. Even AP1 has been available as CPO, but has been dwarfed by the number of classics in the CPO listings. Over time, while the unlimited Supercharging would be a perk, the lack of other features would make the majority of buyers to still get newer cars.

Unless you are a buyer who desires AutoPilot 2. Even AP1 has been available as CPO, but has been dwarfed by the number of classics in the CPO listings. Over time, while the unlimited Supercharging would be a perk, the lack of other features would make the majority of buyers to still get newer cars.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought about it that way because AP is of zero interest to me, given where I live. I suppose the new "unicorns" will be the handful of 2016 AP2 cars.