Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think with how bad numbers look when this is all said and done, something may change and we may get NEM3.1 or 4.0.
This right here.

Politically, California is "all in" on electrification and climate change. It might take a year or three for the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction but eventually they'll figure out they royally screwed up and they need to fix it, if for no other reason than to fix their own optics. I suspect future programs might much more heavily incentivize battery storage over solar given the statewide 4pm-9pm "problem".

I use this example (the $10/W randomly here) because with the 1:1 net metering turning to 1:0.25 or 1:0.13 (for San Diego which is worst), all your exports during peak is now only worth 25% or 13% of what it used to.

This means from a cost perspective, to try to zero out your bill as everyone banks credits currently (I don't think the numbers work personally under NEM3.0), you will need to generate 4x as much or, in a more realistic case (not many people exports 4x use, you're now paying 4x more for your install since you're now being credited 4x less from the IOU so at the end of each month, will probably pay 4x more than you were under NEM2.0 since you have little/no credits built up.

Maybe a strange way to look at it, but not getting NEM2.0 puts installs in a pretty bad shape credits wise.

I would think with how bad numbers look when this is all said and done, something may change and we may get NEM3.1 or 4.0.
I still don't think prices ($/kW) will go up. There's no reasonable ROI with NEM3. And now your saying people have to buy an even bigger system. No one is going to shell out $80K when they don't get a return for 20 years. I think installers may offer some creative lease/rent plans.

Reactions: h2ofun
This right here.

Politically, California is "all in" on electrification and climate change. It might take a year or three for the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction but eventually they'll figure out they royally screwed up and they need to fix it, if for no other reason than to fix their own optics. I suspect future programs might much more heavily incentivize battery storage over solar given the statewide 4pm-9pm "problem".

My opinion is that no matter what, NEM3.1/4.0/anything will NEVER be as good as NEM2.0 whatever it changes to if it even changes at all. With the political climate, we didn't pass that tax increase that Lyft was pushing to raise taxes on the rich for EVs, etc...(I didn't like this law personally neither and I'm poor so it won't affect me) and folks really think they will heavily incentivize battery storage when folks who make too much $$ can't even qualify for the CA CVRP EV tax credit anymore? (which is now 1 per lifetime already?).

I disagree with a lot of comments on crazy battery storage incentives and if it's administered anything like SGIP which is a total pain to deal with, I don't see it working out too well.

We'll see how it plays out, but my advice has always been get NEM2.0 ASAP, don't assume any future implementation will be any better because (my opinion), it'll never be this good. You may want to ask Tesla when they can come out and do the surveys or whatever they have to do and at least see what's up. I see some folks post here that they have this scheduled, that, etc...which looks more promising.

I think the idea of waiting and praying is a bad one, if one cares about getting grandfathered under NEM2.0 at all at least.

Reactions: charlesj
I still don't think prices ($/kW) will go up. There's no reasonable ROI with NEM3. And now your saying people have to buy an even bigger system. No one is going to shell out $80K when they don't get a return for 20 years. I think installers may offer some creative lease/rent plans.

If Nevada is a guide, I think solar installs will simply drop by a large number. Pricing won't go up per se, but with credits what they will be, it's as if a person's price did go up is my point since everyone depends on the credits to make up the winter/low production months.

Aside from inflation... after NEM 3.0 goes in effect, the smaller solar companies (who don't have the purchasing power to get ESS inventory) simply cannot function. During the previous round of discussions after the NEM 3.0 PD dropped, many CALSSA and SEIA members said that the values the CPUC were using in their ROI/Payback calculations was untenable.

As a refresher, here's the table. The CPUC felt that residential solar could be installed for about $2.60 per watt.
1656980711147-png.824831

The installers argued that if $2.588 is the average per watt, then some installs would be over $2.60; while others would then logically have to be below $2.60. And there was no way an actual business could deliver solar onto a residential rooftop for such a pittance. Basically if a job were only paying $2.00 per watt, the installer couldn't take the project unless it was Tesla willing to sell at or below cost to drive top-line numbers. As @Vines pointed out, it's expensive to run a construction company in California.

The CPUC responded saying their figures were good, and installers just need to do better to get their costs down.

So to that end, the only viable businesses have to incorporate energy storage solutions. Sunrun, Sunpower, Tesla, Semper, etc are all poised to only install PV+ESS systems in California as the solar-only business model vanishes. (edit: note, new construction has to come with solar, but Sunrun has a lot of those contracts locked up with major developers). Without as much competition, the prices will go up even if the economic terms for the buyer are less attractive with NEM 3.0 policies.

When I purchased my 7 kWp-AC PV system and 3 Powerwalls from Sunrun in 2020, the gross cash I paid was $57,000. That is over $8.00 "per solar watt" when factoring in all the equipment against just the PV. Thankfully there was a large-scale SGIP lol.

When a neighbor tried to get a quote for a similar system from Sunrun a few months ago, it was over $75,000 gross (yes, >$10 per solar watt). I doubt pricing is going to come down from here as the competition and options dry up. Installers need either volume or margin to run a business. With NEM 3.0 policies, business viability for installers will need to come from margin.
That table isn't in the final decision, so I think you are looking at an early version. The CPUC settled on $3.30 per watt.
This decision finds a value of $3.30 per watt to be reasonable as the adopted 2023 cost of solar. Given the absence of costs for financing, panel upgrades, or installation delays in the $2.34 per watt value and the high value of $3.80, as conceded by SEIA/Vote Solar and CALSSA, the Commission considers the cost of solar to fall in between the two values.
It is still a BS number that is unobtainable.

Update: Tesla *finally* sent their detailed proposal. It is shockingly less expensive than any other proposal we've seen thus far.

Summary:
$17,536 for 6.4kW (16 panels; $2.74/watt)
$11,500 after bundle discount for a Powerwall

$29,575 all in before tax credits

I have three other quotes for similarly sized and equipped systems (~6kW + Powerwall) ranging from $47K-$53K.

This seems like a no-brainer, though we are still going to call them to clarify an issue with panel placement and obviously to see if they can git'r'done before the NEM 2.0 deadline.

Update: Tesla *finally* sent their detailed proposal. It is shockingly less expensive than any other proposal we've seen thus far.

Summary:
$17,536 for 6.4kW (16 panels; $2.74/watt)
$11,500 after bundle discount for a Powerwall

$29,575 all in before tax credits

I have three other quotes for similarly sized and equipped systems (~6kW + Powerwall) ranging from $47K-$53K.

This seems like a no-brainer, though we are still going to call them to clarify an issue with panel placement and obviously to see if they can git'r'done before the NEM 2.0 deadline.
Did they give you an estimated annual kWh production value? How does it compare to your actual consumption for the last year? You really want to exceed your current usage and getting 3-4 more panels on the house has a big benefit for not that much extra cost.

Did they give you an estimated annual kWh production value? How does it compare to your actual consumption for the last year? You really want to exceed your current usage and getting 3-4 more panels on the house has a big benefit for not that much extra cost.
I would get as many panels that fit and can get approved, no matter what past usage was. It only goes up
I can now keep my house 70 degrees all year long since I have 100% free energy now.

They did. It's hard to compare against current usage because right now it's quite low, but it will definitely increase in the future (combination of factors including WFH, change from ICE to EV, heat pump the next time HVAC gets swapped out, etc). One puzzling part of the proposal was their placement of four panels on a NW-facing roof slope. This makes no sense to me - the house has enough area on SE- and SW-facing roof slopes to accommodate all 16 panels. We have a call scheduled with them this coming Monday to discuss this. Once we work through this and hopefully get a satisfactory answer on meeting the NEM deadline, we'll likely proceed.

EDIT: Their provided generation estimate is 47% greater than current usage. This number will probably increase once I talk them into moving those four panels onto the south facing part of the roof.

They're literally 20 grand less than the other quotes we've gotten. 20 grand. That buys a lot of juice at NEM 3.0 rates. Or a week at the Four Seasons on Maui with first class airfare for two.

Reactions: Dave EV
They did. It's hard to compare against current usage because right now it's quite low, but it will definitely increase in the future (combination of factors including WFH, change from ICE to EV, heat pump the next time HVAC gets swapped out, etc). One puzzling part of the proposal was their placement of four panels on a NW-facing roof slope. This makes no sense to me - the house has enough area on SE- and SW-facing roof slopes to accommodate all 16 panels. We have a call scheduled with them this coming Monday to discuss this. Once we work through this and hopefully get a satisfactory answer on meeting the NEM deadline, we'll likely proceed.

EDIT: Their provided generation estimate is 47% greater than current usage. This number will probably increase once I talk them into moving those four panels onto the south facing part of the roof.

They're literally 20 grand less than the other quotes we've gotten. 20 grand. That buys a lot of juice at NEM 3.0 rates. Or a week at the Four Seasons on Maui with first class airfare for two.
I have the majority of my panels on northwest and northeast facing roofs, because I have a very chopped up set of roof edges and there was very little south facing surfaces and those were slightly lower and marked for fire crew access with larger setbacks. I did get 6 panels moved to better locations, but it only increased my annual production by ~500 kWh (4.5%), but I took what I could get.

Tesla is notoriously slow in submitting the PTO paperwork with some people reporting up to 90 days between final inspection and paying and the PTO work being completed. I hope they have something else in place to handle a preliminary submission prior to the cutoff for you, but even then the $20k savings would cover any NEM2 vs NEM3 difference.

For all the issues with Tesla their price is really good. I always advice folks that I'm helping to at least get a Tesla and/or Project Solar quote to get a number. It's relatively low effort. I believe Tesla is saying you will get NEM 2.0 if you accept their design proposal by a certain date.

I now think it's not that hard to get to decent ballpark sizing even if you are converting from to electric. If you have your gas usage data you can convert that electric pretty easily. I built a spreadsheet for friend, so it was easy to tweak the assumptions. Here are some of the assumptions which I used as variables in the sheet so I can play around with it:
Therm to kWh conversion rate29.30
Desired number of miles per day15.00
Car miles to kWh rate0.33
Natural Gas to heat effiency0.8
Average Heat pump COP (Coefficient Of Performance)3

Note these folks switched to heat pumps for all significant heat loads like clothes dryers and water heaters so I just converted all the gas usage to heat pump. If that wasn't the case, I would have extracted "baseline" gas usage by comparing months with heating and those without.

For all the issues with Tesla their price is really good. I always advice folks that I'm helping to at least get a Tesla and/or Project Solar quote to get a number. It's relatively low effort. I believe Tesla is saying you will get NEM 2.0 if you accept their design proposal by a certain date.

Can confirm. Tesla followed up with an email stating they can get our job enrolled in NEM 2.0. Win/win.

I still can't believe how much more expensive everyone else is.

Can confirm. Tesla followed up with an email stating they can get our job enrolled in NEM 2.0. Win/win.

I still can't believe how much more expensive everyone else is.
I had a friend make the mistake of going with Tesla. I'm not sure what inverters they use but whatever brand they use is really crappy. His inverter died after less than a year and he got no warning, and didn't realize it was dead until a couple weeks went by. They replaced the inverter under warranty but I think that system is going to become a huge liability after the warranty expires. Meanwhile his other system which has an Enphase inverter is still going problem-free after many years.

I had a friend make the mistake of going with Tesla. I'm not sure what inverters they use but whatever brand they use is really crappy. His inverter died after less than a year and he got no warning, and didn't realize it was dead until a couple weeks went by. They replaced the inverter under warranty but I think that system is going to become a huge liability after the warranty expires. Meanwhile his other system which has an Enphase inverter is still going problem-free after many years.
I am just waiting to see down the road if the solar roofs have issues. Then what? KISS

After 10yrs it’ll be cheap to replace an inverter. 🤷🏿‍♂️
I am just waiting to see down the road if the solar roofs have issues. Then what? KISS
Entire solar roof install has a 25yr warranty. Doubt anyone that has one is concerned, given that typically a traditional roof warranty only covers the shingle itself and not labour or other materials.

Probably a SolarEdge inverter as they see seem to have a higher failure rate than some others, mine was replaced at the 2 year mark.

SolarEdge is a very large global company, so it isn't like Tesla selected an unknown cheap vendor for the inverter and calling it a mistake to have gone with Tesla is a over statement IMHO.

The Tesla app should have a notification feature that warns you when solar generation is zero or significant below projections depending on the weather if a string goes offline. I caught my failure the same day, because I was monitoring it before a VPP event.

There was a period where Tesla used SolarEdge inverters. See other threads on this board about people's troubles with them. I think Tesla no longer uses SolarEdge inverters, so current installs should be much less likely to have this problem.

Reactions: buckets0fun