Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, my thoughts exactly. I'm trying to figure out their angle for screwing me on this.
I would read and research the fine print on the PG&E "offer". The best offer that I am aware of is SGIP equity resiliency is up to $1,000/kWh, but you need to meet certain requirements;

Be aware that I know of zero installers that are willing/able to install powerwalls for less than $1,000/kWh, so you likely will have to pay something.

All the best,

BG

I would read and research the fine print on the PG&E "offer". The best offer that I am aware of is SGIP equity resiliency is up to $1,000/kWh, but you need to meet certain requirements;

Be aware that I know of zero installers that are willing/able to install powerwalls for less than $1,000/kWh, so you likely will have to pay something.

All the best,

BG

No. They literally sent me a letter saying they will pay up to $15K to install a Powerwall. Then they called me to follow up and assigned an electrical contractor to me. It's called the "residential storage initiative" and I have confirmed it's legit. I called them and it's on their website.

I have no idea how they selected who gets to participate. Their website says they only have 100 enrollments available.

No. They literally sent me a letter saying they will pay up to $15K to install a Powerwall. Then they called me to follow up and assigned an electrical contractor to me. It's called the "residential storage initiative" and I have confirmed it's legit. I called them and it's on their website.

I have no idea how they selected who gets to participate. Their website says they only have 100 enrollments available.

Wow Residential Storage Initiative

Yes, I got a letter out of the blue with a code to register for it, then a follow-up call.

No idea why I was chosen since I don't fit into any of the usual criteria for subsidized stuff.

We had a lot of power outages during the winter storms, that's the only thing I can think about that triggered this.
Sometimes, you just get lucky. Congratulations!

Reactions: holeydonut
My guess is maybe this is like the Hawaiian offers? Where they can tap the battery at will/anytime since they paid for it, they "own" it.

It's sorta like distributed energy storage, but instead of you owning you battery, PG&E does. This lowers their cost maybe for transmission and they make $$ as well since they are installing infrastructure at your house. The $$ they spent is just taken from other rate payers.

I think we can all agree PG&E isn't going to do you or anyone else any favors. I'd look at the fine print if you get "picked" and report back here.

On the topic of NEM3.0 in California and since sunwarriors brought up Hawaii, I just read an article about how Hawaii is restructuring rates to better reflect the cost of running the grid. If the sample rates presented are relatively close to actual, they seem reasonable.

The crux of it is two fixed charges - Customer charge (charge for monthly metering, billing, etc) and a Grid Access Charge (charge to connect and maintain connection to the grid). All other costs are moved into the energy charge. The energy charge is is supposed to maintain a 1 - 2 - 3 ratio between TOU periods.

The goal was to get the bill to be understandable and also get the relative portions of the bill to more closely reflect actual costs.

1683997153157.png

Reactions: mspohr
interesting. Off Peak is double Mid-Day. I guess Mid-Day has a lot of solar, whereas Off Peak is at night
I suspect that is because the rate plan you are on was created years ago before they got all that solar. And also it only has two seasons. You are currently in a shoulder season. Come back in August and make the same observation. :)

Reactions: Cheburashka
I suspect that is because the rate plan you are on was created years ago before they got all that solar. And also it only has two seasons. You are currently in a shoulder season. Come back in August and make the same observation. :)
Yep, and wouldn't expect peak rates to remain where they are forever.

Also, SDG&E has super-off-peak rates in March and April from 10 am - 2 pm. Looking at when solar tends to be curtailed on CAISO, I would expect these months to expand to May or later and the hours to expand later in the day, too.

1684213345596.png

Reactions: aesculus
Let’s say the change comes roughly as is. Let’s ignore the access fee aspect.

Under your current NEM, will the estimates kWh drop of 30% make Solar break even for you?

My guess is maybe for Nem prior to 3, and impossible or nearly impossible for nem3. Also impossible for Nem prior to 3 who is on the CARES.

For us, it might be break even if I ignore the cost of the money to buy the system, and believe the hardware lasts 30 years, but we are CARES rate, and already have a 30% discount on rates, so the change makes Solar a money loser for us no matter how I look at it (cash buy, finance, number of batts, etc.).

This is a good sign for future grid stability.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Actually, I should not complain. I don't pay Peak Rates, they Pay me at Peak rates ;)

Yeah, but the price differential won't be able to pay back the ~$15k you spent on those powerwalls.

Howeverrrrr to me the ROI comes from being able to tune out that narrative around turning off power uses during peak time. Ugh PG&E's recommendations to avoid high power bills are such garbage.

Howeverrrrr to me the ROI comes from being able to tune out that narrative around turning off power uses during peak time. Ugh PG&E's recommendations to avoid high power bills are such garbage.
Agree. My #1 goal of getting the PWs was backup for PSPS and unexpected outages. The rate arbitrage is just a bonus. There is no such bonus with a generator