Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to find the details of why off grid residential is not allowed, but this older article helped

As far I I know Title 24 only applies to new conctruction or remodeling. I don't see how it stops someone from disconnecting once the permit has been finaled. And I didn't see anything in there addressing when someone bulids where utilities aren't available. It would be interesting if it implies that you can't get a permit build a cabin miles from where utilities are available.

Like govt or any other business, quasi govt utilities are never going to need less $. Employees need raises, retirement, etc. So changing how it gets to their nut is politics. Trending to a service charge is nothing new. Our local utilities have done so, such as all must have garbage service, and water bills having a base fee (came on after they went negative budget due to conservation).

We should be happy the kWh will be LESS by a significant amount. If you want to lower your service charge, there are legal ways to do so; which may or may not save you money elsewhere in your financial life.

What is bad, to me, is the neuter of Solar since there will be a monthly fee, and less kWh cost to recover the Solar cost. If one believes Solar should be self serving, this change is less bad. If one believes home Solar is to make money by export, that is gone, and many will say good riddance (since the home export has been insulated from distribution costs and the like).

Tough to sell Solar now, but many who buy will be shocked if they don’t break even befor end of life for their install. I cannot recommend Solar until the rate structure is online as the current docs make Solar a loser for many/most.

The proposal is bad because it doesn't address any climate actions/goals. This looks like a way to further bring up class warfare within energy pricing and doesn't help with conservation at all. If anything, folks will now use more energy since they are dropping per kWh fees by about 33% they say which isn't a very significant amount since when I saw some reports, they just tack on the monthly fee for everyone which results in near the same price for the consumer, rich or poor.

The pricing used in the example is a joke since we'll be at over $0.80/kWh here in SDG&E land this summer. Also, there is nothing stating that the kWH price can't also be significantly raised/MORE after they get this passed. Take the $/month fee now, drop the kWh charge temprarily, and start raising that in a year or two back to old levels. I can bet anything that the per kWh fee will continue to go up if this passes. I think consumers are fools if they think the IOU isn't going to keep raising rates even with this.

Even though I'm one of the poorer folk here so it won't hit me as hard, it's still bad policy to base it on income rates and at such a different price amount. You can be out of town for 6 months, use no energy and still are forced to pay a higher fee simply due to income levels. That's a total disconnect.

I still rather they go with flat monthlys charges depending on home service size. For low income, they can just get CARES plan or something else. The problem is still how IOUs are structured to make $$. They really need to be dissolved as for profit corporations and taken over since their whole profit plan relies on building more/higher priced infrastructure. Why they want to build far off solar farms and tons of transmission lines since that costs more $$.

You bring up water/garbage, but there is nothing like this with those rates at all and the rates paid are nowhere near as crazy as energy/power. If everyone paid a flat fee to be connected equally, I'd be all for that.

I also don't think many people get solar to export. It was always pennies (literally) to export so it's dumb to build for that purpose alone (like $0.04-$0.05, maybe slightly higher now).

The high income $$ monthly fee, if it passes sorta kills solar now I think since the capital cost is still very high and you're stuck with even longer ROIs. Best plan so far seem to be if you are close to retiring and keep income levels low (for the lucky folks).

Reactions: morph3ous
Not that I'm an advocate of tax shenanigans, but many older homeowners I know have done the following. Whether this works is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1) Put the house into a living trust
2) Near the end (but before it goes to probate or anything sad)... they "rent the home"
3) Living trust transfers to the kid(s) who can continue to "rent it out" without having to pay capital gains tax or estate tax since the trust was gifted within the IRS limits.

I think the Prop 13 benefit goes away, but hey, almost free house?

PS, I am an idiot. My avatar is a disconnect and I cannot read good. So maybe this particular post is total trash? Who knows.
As an estate planning lawyer, the trust is nice, but irrelevant, so is "renting the home.'

Everyone gets a step up in basis for capital gains purposes when they die, so the tax plan is to hold on to something, especially a home and die with it.

Prop 19 put a big dent in Prop 13, but I tend to look at it as California's low property taxes result in higher property values, like a bond.

Reactions: mspohr
The proposal is bad because it doesn't address any climate actions/goals. This looks like a way to further bring up class warfare within energy pricing and doesn't help with conservation at all. If anything, folks will now use more energy since they are dropping per kWh fees by about 33% they say which isn't a very significant amount since when I saw some reports, they just tack on the monthly fee for everyone which results in near the same price for the consumer, rich or poor.

The pricing used in the example is a joke since we'll be at over $0.80/kWh here in SDG&E land this summer. Also, there is nothing stating that the kWH price can't also be significantly raised/MORE after they get this passed. Take the $/month fee now, drop the kWh charge temprarily, and start raising that in a year or two back to old levels. I can bet anything that the per kWh fee will continue to go up if this passes. I think consumers are fools if they think the IOU isn't going to keep raising rates even with this.

Even though I'm one of the poorer folk here so it won't hit me as hard, it's still bad policy to base it on income rates and at such a different price amount. You can be out of town for 6 months, use no energy and still are forced to pay a higher fee simply due to income levels. That's a total disconnect.

I still rather they go with flat monthlys charges depending on home service size. For low income, they can just get CARES plan or something else. The problem is still how IOUs are structured to make $$. They really need to be dissolved as for profit corporations and taken over since their whole profit plan relies on building more/higher priced infrastructure. Why they want to build far off solar farms and tons of transmission lines since that costs more $$.

You bring up water/garbage, but there is nothing like this with those rates at all and the rates paid are nowhere near as crazy as energy/power. If everyone paid a flat fee to be connected equally, I'd be all for that.

I also don't think many people get solar to export. It was always pennies (literally) to export so it's dumb to build for that purpose alone (like $0.04-$0.05, maybe slightly higher now).

The high income $$ monthly fee, if it passes sorta kills solar now I think since the capital cost is still very high and you're stuck with even longer ROIs. Best plan so far seem to be if you are close to retiring and keep income levels low (for the lucky folks).

I agree with most of your points, but the biggest thing to advance Climate goals that affects non-commercial users is electrifying the transportation fleet and moving to electricity for HVAC. The best way to do this is lowering electricity prices, so gas becomes less cost effective. Sure, people will use more power - you want them to do that to drive conversion! You can't be pushing rapacious electricity pricing and then say it's cheaper to use it than alternatives.

You also have to provide a lot more generation to support that electrification or the whole exercise is ridiculous. This is a nice piece on the topic: Race to zero: Can California’s power grid handle a 15-fold increase in electric cars?

We need to stop trying to punish people using energy if we want to convert the fleet. Market incentives matter. Or by 2030 CA will be asking Tesla to make ICE cars to help stop regular brownouts from lack of power availability. :)

As an estate planning lawyer, the trust is nice, but irrelevant, so is "renting the home.'

Everyone gets a step up in basis for capital gains purposes when they die, so the tax plan is to hold on to something, especially a home and die with it.

Prop 19 put a big dent in Prop 13, but I tend to look at it as California's low property taxes result in higher property values, like a bond.

One of my neighbors said he had "gifted" his home to his kids and was somehow able to dodge the capital gains by "renting" it out. He obviously hasn't died yet so maybe there will be a huge capital gains hit when he passes?

TBH I have no clue what the heck he did, but he seems really proud about how he gets to keep his home in the family.

Reactions: Southpasfan
One of my neighbors said he had "gifted" his home to his kids and was somehow able to dodge the capital gains by "renting" it out. He obviously hasn't died yet so maybe there will be a huge capital gains hit when he passes?

TBH I have no clue what the heck he did, but he seems really proud about how he gets to keep his home in the family.
If referring to CA, it was likely a pre prop 19 transfer, then rent back. Allows the recipients to take the step up at time of transfer and retain the property without an occupancy requirement.

For us, we could not transfer yet (because one recipient is on ssi). one will remain in the home after our passing. Or, they will have a 3/4 million plus equity so they can sell and buy a condo for one and cash out for the other one. So many variables to ponder…..

There are property taxes and capital gains and neither is the same.

Yes, there was alot of hoop jumping where people had to transfer houses to kids before the implementation date of Prop 19, and one of the ways was to make it a completed transfer for property tax purposes but to hold on to some rights which would cause it to be included in your Federal estate and get the step up.

Neither has anything to do with whether you rent it or don't rent it. OTOH, it could mean that he said "he's renting it" from his kids, but the post seemed to say "rent it out" which implies to the market.

Either way good for him whatever he did. Keeping low prop 13 real estate taxes is sometimes the difference between keeping a place and selling it.

What I was basically pointing out is that with zero estate tax on the first $25 million of value for a couple, and with 40% above that, the estate tax on a $50 million estate for a couple is effectively 20%, as opposed to 30% capital gains. So basically for virtually everyone there either is no estate tax or if there is, its so much of a saving over capital gains just die with all your assets.

Reactions: mspohr
Lawsuit now:

Interesting point on reddit is what lawsuits will fly when they have the income based proposals (there are 4 actually, but the insane IOU one has the most publicity not surprisingly).

Interesting. Need to read about that. I was under the impression that any change immediately dumps you into NEM 3
At least PG&E was pretty clear you can add ESS later and stay on NEM2.

What you CANNOT do is add ESS to an existing application/project that originally did not include ESS and that was submitted prior to NEM2 cutoff but then after April 15 add the ESS to that project. That would constitute a “material modification” and thus would trigger a “major deficiency” which would lose NEM2 eligibility since you could no longer refile in the NEM2 window.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a battery without it being tied into the solar system?

Say, a Powerwall that charged from grid instead of solar, to avoid moving to NEM 3 from NEM 2
AC power is AC power; there are no magic solar electrons. If you have a battery, it charges from your household wiring, which has power from solar or the grid or a mix.

As others have pointed out adding a battery does not alter your NEM status.