TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cracked Model X windshield

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bobbykansara, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Whhhaaaaa--? That seems absurdly cheap. Awesome news.

2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Wow. Awesome...that's just a couple of hundred dollars more than what my RX windshield cost me and it wasn't even OEM.

3. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

I was also previously quoted 2300 by the Scottsdale svc center who put one on order for me. Insurance was going to cover it in my case but this good news either way.

4. KKelly

KKelly Member

At the factory during one of the Model X Preview events in January, a rep from Tesla said the windshield was $3,800, $880 is a bargin!

5. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Holy.....that is cheap! $1100 for a Lexus RX 350 (OEM - done by the dealer), and $880 for a Tesla X windshield??? Its strange that the windshield is cheaper, but then that person who had the brakes issue with his Model S paid such a high amount for those!

6. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Something tells me that the $880 quoted is a mistake in their system. It really can't be that cheap.

• Like x 1
  7. Dr ValueSeeker

Dr ValueSeeker Speaks the unfettered truth

#47 Dr ValueSeeker, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    That's the reward for crying out loud on TMC and making a news article out of it :) Now Tesla will be stuck with losing money on every windshield they replace.

8. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Or more likely, selling at it's cost. Just had my 2015 BMW X5 Connected drive (w/TACC camera) windshield replaced, insurance paid $650 for the glass. $880 seems right. Your reasoning doesn't make sense, insurance company would be the beneficiary of Your Forum stimulated charity theory. It could've been $1,100 or $2,300 you as a policy holder pays for it, not Tesla. Glass coverage is not expensive, if it is optional in your state, by all means opt for it.

9. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

^Is that for OEM?

10. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Yes it was, I have HUD and TACC w/stop and go camera in rear view mirror so there were no aftermarket, bad thing was we had to wait almost 5 months for it to arrive, they were severely back ordered.

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

The bear twist...always amazing.

• Like x 1
  12. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Welcome to the forum. Great to see a Tesla team member reach out to a customer.

• Like x 2
  13. ohmman

You'd think a value seeker would celebrate cheap windshields. ;)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

@JonMc is a stand up guy. Sent a hand written note and replacement Model S toys after my son dropped his and broke it.

IMG_7833.JPG IMG_5366.JPG

• Like x 2
  15. jason1466

jason1466 Member

Queue @Dr ValueSeeker to find the negative in this. :) Was ready to fill in my own negative why-is-tesla-wrong-to-do-this, but rather see what others can fill in for that?

• Funny x 1
  16. ohmman

Clearly all of those sheets of stationery aren't free. Plus, every time a kid breaks a toy, now Tesla has to pay for it? They'll never climb out of that hole.

(How's that sound?)

• Funny x 5
  17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Tesla giving away (toy) cars to generate demand!

• Funny x 1
  18. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Not much anyone can say about a company that isn't out to cheat its customers. :D

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I believe $880 is the proper price for a model S windshield and someone made a mistake!

20. Zextraterrestrial

Shoddy injection molded plastic, very indicative of the glued together build of the S. If you are driving a Model S deathtrap you should give it back to Tesla before it falls apart and leaves you stranded or dead
    (you can see the child in the pic screaming..'take this back!')

...and the X...don't get me started. that front widow, with its cracks, is just waiting for drivers to fly out of it and become a bloody mess on the road! throw your car away!

• Funny x 5