Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Queue @Dr ValueSeeker to find the negative in this. :) Was ready to fill in my own negative why-is-tesla-wrong-to-do-this, but rather see what others can fill in for that?

Clearly all of those sheets of stationery aren't free. Plus, every time a kid breaks a toy, now Tesla has to pay for it? They'll never climb out of that hole.

(How's that sound?)

Tesla giving away (toy) cars to generate demand!

Not much anyone can say about a company that isn't out to cheat its customers. :D

Shoddy injection molded plastic, very indicative of the glued together build of the S. If you are driving a Model S deathtrap you should give it back to Tesla before it falls apart and leaves you stranded or dead

...and the X...don't get me started. that front widow, with its cracks, is just waiting for drivers to fly out of it and become a bloody mess on the road! throw your car away!

Lol at you all :) When I emailed Jon I also was giving positive feedback about a store employee who provided excellent service to us on a number of occasions. I figured he appreciated the feedback, and of course would like to make my 1 year old a future Tesla customer :)

Reactions: madodel
It should... $500 installed for 48". I can notice the line from the outside, but does not bother me from the inside as it ends up in the tinted area.

Have not tried wipers yet, as I have not driven in the rain since install. I put OptiCoat Pro Plus on the CP, so if low speeds, might need the wipers, but wont need them at highway speeds. I know 2 guys with MSs that have CP and no issues with wipers.

Be aware that CP is challenging to install, so make sure to do lots of research on installers.

My Xpel installer does not recommend wrapping the front window if you are a daily driver. The wipers eats them up and looks awful after 6 months.

That's the reward for crying out loud on TMC and making a news article out of it :) Now Tesla will be stuck with losing money on every windshield they replace.

FWIW, I did not post here about my windshield because I was "crying out loud" about the cost. I certainly didn't want any sort of news article about it. I simply posted the cost that was quoted to me to be informative to other Model X owners and prospective owners. When the Model X was released, there was a lot of anxiety and negative commentary on these very forums about the potential replacement costs of such a massive windshield. Fear of the replacement cost was even cited by a few reservation holders as a reason they were cancelling their orders! As such, I posted here mostly to allay fears and provide factual data for people to put their fears to rest.

Just giving an update on the numbers. Dropped off my X at the Tesla SC, and the quote to replace the windshield is $1370 (total cost including parts and labor). In my experience, this is cheaper than a competing luxury car brand charges for a much smaller and less compelling windshield.
I'd love if you could let us know if you see any difference in "ghosting" between the two windshields.

I'll be happy to try, ohmman. But TBH, I am not really sure what that is. I know it's a hot topic and a big controversy here on TMC. But what I found is that the more I read TMC Forums, the more I worried about imperfections in my car that I never would have even noticed before. These are everyday common imperfections that could be found in any car, but the obsessive discussion of these imperfections really robbed me of the joy, thrill, and excitement of receiving what I still consider to be the greatest vehicle on the planet. And since I haven't noticed anything weird or annoying about my windshield, I have not bothered to investigate further. Ignorance can be bliss. And once I look into what ghosting is, if I see it, I won't be able to "unsee" it and it will bother me. I just want to enjoy this wonderful vehicle without obsessing over potential imperfections. I just became so worn down with the seemingly endless negativity that runs rampant here and on the official Tesla forums.... :/

But what I found is that the more I read TMC Forums, the more I worried about imperfections in my car that I never would have even noticed before. These are everyday common imperfections that could be found in any car, but the obsessive discussion of these imperfections really robbed me of the joy, thrill, and excitement of receiving what I still consider to be the greatest vehicle on the planet.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It definitely took a shift in mindset to be able to continue to participate here but not let it get me down too much.

Given your response, I agree with you. Don't bother looking for it. Enjoy the ride.

I still don't see any ghosting on mine, I followed @ohmman's instructions on where to look but I can't find it ): ..... Never mind :)

I will post some night time footage from my dashcam once I get it installed and see if it will capture any ghosting

I can still totally look beyond the ghosting. Only shows up in distances and periphery and does not both me or the wife.

The other day I should have taken the loaner Model S out for a night drive to see what it had here. It seems that the Model S windshield is a lot flatter to me than the Model X is and that should accentuate the ghosting. Has anyone measured the angle difference between the two in the primary viewing area?

I'll be happy to try, ohmman. But TBH, I am not really sure what that is. I know it's a hot topic and a big controversy here on TMC. But what I found is that the more I read TMC Forums, the more I worried about imperfections in my car that I never would have even noticed before. These are everyday common imperfections that could be found in any car, but the obsessive discussion of these imperfections really robbed me of the joy, thrill, and excitement of receiving what I still consider to be the greatest vehicle on the planet. And since I haven't noticed anything weird or annoying about my windshield, I have not bothered to investigate further. Ignorance can be bliss. And once I look into what ghosting is, if I see it, I won't be able to "unsee" it and it will bother me. I just want to enjoy this wonderful vehicle without obsessing over potential imperfections. I just became so worn down with the seemingly endless negativity that runs rampant here and on the official Tesla forums.... :/

This was the most eloquent and spot on assessment of the Model X section I've seen. I fully agree with you and I refuse to nitpick at my X. The car is incredible to me and there's no reason to go searching for potential imperfections.

Nothing in my policy about the Model X and I drive a Lexus RX 350 (expecting July delivery on the X), but when I called my current insurance company to get a quote to add the Model X, they stated its not in their system yet (fair as the first Model X to arrive in Canada isn't expected till the end of June), and she gave me a quote based on the Model S with a comparable vehicle value...the premium was reasonable, and actually slightly lower than my RX 350, but she said that the smallest deductible they offer on Tesla's is $5,000 (she claimed that this is applicable to any car over $100,000 CAD)

Model X is now in most insurance of the insurance systems now. I just got my quote from Aviva insurance.

I've gotten quotes from intact, CIBC among others. I contacted kanetix.ca to add the MX.
Insurancehotline.com also gave me a bunch of quotes too.

There's another Thead on here that I created a while back. Search for insurance Canada.

This is RBC Insurance up here in Canada (Ontario to be specific)

From all the comments it seems like RBC is the worst insurance company for the MX. They also force a $5k deductible

Yep here in Canada, cracked windshields are covered under our comprehensive part of the insurance, so no increases for the claim!

If the windshield can be repaired, we don't have to pay the deductible, but if it needs to be replaced, we do...currently my deductibles only $300, but a quote from my insurance company and they said the minimum deductible for a Tesla is $5,000 loll so really its of no use :(
I got insurance with Aviva. $1000 deductible for MX 90D.

Also on my previous ICE car, I fixed the chip in my windshield. I was told it would effect my insurance. It now shows as a blemish on my insurance record as a claim. I'm pretty pissed about it :mad:

Thanks, @JonMc !

I am happy to report to everyone that the CORRECT price of the windshield replacement is approx. $880 (NOT $2300 as I was originally quoted). Once again, Tesla comes through with exquisite customer service! Frankly, I am very pleasantly surprised as I thought the cost of the windshield replacement would be much, much higher. Either way, the Model X remains the greatest thing I have every purchased.

Hmmm... this is good for you. Then why did I get charged $1,431 (CAD$) plus taxes for a new windshield in my model S? The S has a much smaller and more conventional windshield. I knew that the price was very high, but bit it anyway,

Hmmm... this is good for you. Then why did I get charged $1,431 (CAD$) plus taxes for a new windshield in my model S? The S has a much smaller and more conventional windshield. I knew that the price was very high, but bit it anyway,

You will notice when he took it in he got a quote of $1370. So my guess is that the $880 was the glass only, not including labor, etc...

Sorry if I've made things a bit confusing. Hopefully, I can make it more clear now. The windshield itself costs $880. There are other parts involved in the replacement/repair. Total parts cost was $1044 (or $1094; can't remember....). Total Labor cost was $250. The total $1370 figure includes taxes and everything.