Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to report that only that small glass section needed replacing, and Tesla did not charge me for it. The receipt noted "one time goodwill" for the $0 charge rather than "warranty."

Wow! Goodwill indeed. To all other Model X owners - take heed of the "one time" portion of the receipt and look up/around when parking indoors!

Congratulations on your repairs. My X goes to the body shop as soon as the new trunk lift gate arrives. Still waiting on a SW update to correct for HomeLink auto-close distance (3.5ft) when pulling nose first out of the garage!

Last edited:
the inability of the Model X to pick up where I left off when listening to music on a USB thumb drive (or via Bluetooth on my phone). Hoping for a robust firmware update in the next couple of months!
There was a thread on the Model S forum that said this worked on an update (maybe one back?) and it did work for me, but I cannot get it to work anymore.

Sorry to bump an old thread, hopefully there hasn't been a more recent one

Unfortunately my brand new Model X failed to sense the top of my garage and so now I have 3 tiny tiny scruff marks at the top. Not the biggest deal and certainly could be a lot worse but still disappointing.

Has anyone had any luck with Tesla fixing something like this? I literally just need a slight touch up on 3 tiny marks

Sorry to bump an old thread, hopefully there hasn't been a more recent one

Unfortunately my brand new Model X failed to sense the top of my garage and so now I have 3 tiny tiny scruff marks at the top. Not the biggest deal and certainly could be a lot worse but still disappointing.

Has anyone had any luck with Tesla fixing something like this? I literally just need a slight touch up on 3 tiny marks
Sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing some pic of your garage ceiling clearance w.r.t the FWD in open state or share some measurements. I recently modified my garage so this would be a non issue for me, but many other forum members could benefit from your experience.
If you explain the circumstance/mishap to Tesla they might be able to take care of it for you. I think they should since it's a malfunction of the FWD as designed.

Edit: see post #361 above. Tesla does a lot of favors to customers as courtesy.

I recently did this. I had looked and realized I couldn't open them in this position in my garage because of a beam, but a friend automatically tried to open them. I need touch up, but really consider it my error.

But sliding door can't provide enough vertical space. You have to bend your waist to get in, while FWD is not. Both FWD and sliding door have their own pros and cons.
I drive my Model X. I have to bend my waist to get into the driver's seat. My kids sit in the second row seats, and they don't mind bending their waists. Also, everyone has to bend their waist eventually to sit down because.. well, sitting requires it.

If you frequently carry elderly people in the second row, that waist bending avoidance might be awesome. Though, you'll have to pull them up and in because there's nowhere for them to hold on while they climb in.

On the other hand, my Odyssey's sliding doors were great for entry and exit irrespective of age. Maybe basketball players would be happier with the falcon wing doors. But only if they were back seat passengers.

Reactions: ssq
I drive my Model X. I have to bend my waist to get into the driver's seat. My kids sit in the second row seats, and they don't mind bending their waists. Also, everyone has to bend their waist eventually to sit down because.. well, sitting requires it.

If you frequently carry elderly people in the second row, that waist bending avoidance might be awesome. Though, you'll have to pull them up and in because there's nowhere for them to hold on while they climb in.

On the other hand, my Odyssey's sliding doors were great for entry and exit irrespective of age. Maybe basketball players would be happier with the falcon wing doors. But only if they were back seat passengers.

Yeah, you're right... though it's not a big deal, but it's a little "nagging" thing for me.

I'm using Dodge Grand Caravan for commute with my co-workers, we always have to bend our waist which was totally fine, until I experienced MX's FWD.
I'm still okay and have no problem with getting in/out through sliding door, but whenever I do it, it puts MX's FWD into my head. It's somewhat "nice to have" thing for me. :)

I should have never seen MX. (sob)

Reactions: ModelX
TMC Peeps, @K-MTG it has happened, well to an extent, lets call it NoCrunch v1.0 and wait for v2 for complete location based preferences.

Genius! And then license/sell the map data to Tesla to pair with augment GPS aware air suspension with GPS aware FWD-noCrunch zones.
upload_2016-6-22_18-55-31.png

upload_2016-6-22_18-56-10.png

My first time to a parking garage at 9 weeks from delivery, San Jose Convention Center (Sensor Expo, not kidding). It's a generous height garage, but you see passenger side door limited travel due to good sensing. Trust me, they are even normally.

Agree child protection should always be enabled so ONLY you control opening FWD from inside, and umbrella from big screen in this situation would have been an extra careful and smart measure. BTW I was standing ready to yank the door down in case of sensing failure, it's just me and still learning MX......

IMG_9857.JPG

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's a real update. (2.24.78) The umbrella mode button is gone too! You must trust the doors! :p Location awareness button functions to override the "careful" low opening mode, for example if you know where you're parking is clear. I'm wondering if the sensors are now buffering low clearance objects and proposing the lower opening based on sensor readings at a set speed or time? Someone is listening to us on this thread ;) Other new feature is driver's door now opens when you double tap the key fob to unlock, I was wondering when this was coming, now have to wait for the "triple click passenger door open" function so I'm never in trouble for forgetting to open wifey's door. :cool: (Hope "they" are still listening)

The new firmware update causes the doors to be much more conservative. I updated last night and in my parking garage at work the doors have always opened fully with no problems. Today I was only given the partial open option initially. After partially open I pressed the full open and then saved the location as a full open override location.

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this is to prevent having to do a bunch of goodwill repairs on Falcon Wing doors. If the door only opened partially and you override it because you think it is fine but it really isn't, they aren't going to repair your door for free (and rightfully so). Thankfully I already knew there was plenty of clearance in my work garage and it was a one time thing to allow full open all the time.

It's very very conservative. I was in a parking garage yesterday that had a ceiling height of approximately 20 feet. The vehicle still detected a ceiling and partially opened the doors. Good idea to include a location override.
Conservative is best, as this thread has shown. I'm really happy they've made this change. The liftgate limit works great, too.