Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a stop gap (pun intended), can you place/hang a more obvious artifact in a place the FWD does see and avoid it? Then enable the save this location routine. Then remove the artifacts and maybe MX will remember some possible damage it could not see before.

If it works, you can play with artifact placement to optimize how FWD open in your garage.

Funny you should suggest this. I did originally hang a $2 kite over the sensor but I had trouble stabilizing its profile and had to hang it a couple of inches lower than the garage door. It did work - sort of - but I took it down out of optimism over a pre-release of the lift gate fix - which I love. Still no love for the FWD. I also found explaining the kite to be a bit embarrassing

Question: on new version does driver door open with FOB even if you don't have PUP? That would frustrate me as its one of the only reasons I paid for PUP.
Really?

PUP adds "Self-presenting front doors that open automatically as you approach"

That is quite different from "Open the driver door by double-clicking the top of the key fob"

With PUP you don't have to touch the key fob, just approach the vehicle. That's what you paid for.

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
Funny you should suggest this. I did originally hang a $2 kite over the sensor but I had trouble stabilizing its profile and had to hang it a couple of inches lower than the garage door. It did work - sort of - but I took it down out of optimism over a pre-release of the lift gate fix - which I love. Still no love for the FWD. I also found explaining the kite to be a bit embarrassing
Maybe some hanging tennis balls over the FWD's, adjust so opening is optimal, then save the place in software and take the balls down.

Now I'm scared I'm going to be sitting in the cafe and somehow double tap the fob and my door will open into traffic where it's parked on the street and get ripped off! :eek: Other than that, I like the option to open the drivers door from the fob, as I think there's too many times where the auto present would be risky, as I often park on the street in the city.

Reactions: ssq and KaiserSoze
@gfp107 Yes, really. The features are close enough that it's kind of frustrating. Do I really care? No. Is this something I'd expect from Tesla? Absolutely. As a long time S owner, I knew what to expect. Still doesn't mean I have to like it.

I think the FOB is not practically designed anyway, but that's for a different thread. Wish they'd give the app all of the functionality of the FOB.

Was in a wide open parking lot, just passed underneath a tree with low branches and parked in a spot about 15ft ahead of the tree, opened both FWDs and they opened partially to the low clearance setting despite there was nothing near the car. So the sensors are definitely buffering data and adjusting the door opening heights based on what it senses as the car is parking. Also noticed that when doors are opening in low clearance mode, the side sensors are facing more vertically to help detect overhead obstacles. This happened in the garage once as well when I drove directly beneath the garage door emergency pull cord. All door related sensors are hyper sensitive to overhead objects which is not a bad thing.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and ohmman
I got version 2 of the new update this morning. And, for the first time, one of my FWDs hit a vertical concrete support in a parking structure today (just scraped it, leaving a two-inch-long vertical stripe on the post from the plastic (or whatever it is) under the edge of the door. And my right-side FWD makes an awful pop every time it closes (started about a week ago). And the left-side FWD takes 3 attempts to close, on average (it stops just short of closing most of the time, saying it detected an obstruction). The doors are definitely getting worse with age, and my car isn't even 2 months old yet.

I got nervous after ordering MX about my garage specifics and FWD sensing. They brought one over and convinced me the sensors would handle it. I've had the car now 2 months, and the garage situation has been no problem. EXCEPT, Each door could stand to open more than they are, possibly another 6" or so. My passengers (and I while cleaning it) are not comfortably getting out with this degree of partial open.

The TRUNK has a similar problem and has resulted in my whacking my forehead and bending my glasses at least 6-10 times as I go to put in or take out an item while parked in the garage. It also could go more safely.

I've got V8.0 firmware and tried what I thought I understood from the manual about moving any of these things higher and having those positions in memory for the geo-location. I've not gotten the alternative placements saved. It is also really tricky to stand on the front door frame so you can watch the clearances while reaching around from the inside to the B pillar with one hand on the switch and the other at the edge of the FWD "just in case". Those doors move FAST. Doing this from inside the car via touch screen is out of the question for obvious reasons.

The trunk lid is far easier but I still not get positions retained. I must be missing something. Can anyone confirm this all works properly and how did you do it? I'm only 5'6" and although I'm getting shorter as I age, I need this to work now while I'm still young enough to drive.

Appreciate anyone's help.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I love the FWD and think they are a key characteristic of the X. This was just an accident. Accidents happen to all cars. I believe the sensors for the FWD are in the bottom of the door. So looking at the photo the sensor did not see the beam just the open space. I agree this is a problem but easily solved by putting in an additional set of sensors. Any of us could have done this in a low garage and its no ones fault. Like I said, accidents happen but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I got nervous after ordering MX about my garage specifics and FWD sensing. They brought one over and convinced me the sensors would handle it. I've had the car now 2 months, and the garage situation has been no problem. EXCEPT, Each door could stand to open more than they are, possibly another 6" or so. My passengers (and I while cleaning it) are not comfortably getting out with this degree of partial open.

The TRUNK has a similar problem and has resulted in my whacking my forehead and bending my glasses at least 6-10 times as I go to put in or take out an item while parked in the garage. It also could go more safely.

I've got V8.0 firmware and tried what I thought I understood from the manual about moving any of these things higher and having those positions in memory for the geo-location. I've not gotten the alternative placements saved. It is also really tricky to stand on the front door frame so you can watch the clearances while reaching around from the inside to the B pillar with one hand on the switch and the other at the edge of the FWD "just in case". Those doors move FAST. Doing this from inside the car via touch screen is out of the question for obvious reasons.

The trunk lid is far easier but I still not get positions retained. I must be missing something. Can anyone confirm this all works properly and how did you do it? I'm only 5'6" and although I'm getting shorter as I age, I need this to work now while I'm still young enough to drive.

I noticed this overly cautious fwd behavior before V8.0 as well. I do not get the "always fully open in this location" choice on the screen after I manually fully open them in my garage.

@Plugsuvohio The FWDs were adjusted in a later 7.1 releases to be more cautious when detecting any objects near. Same for the rear hatch. So it is now the owners responsibility to open the doors beyond the initial sensing. A quick press of the rear hatch will open fully. My FW Doors will not hit anything in the garage, but sense the opener above, so they do not open fully. Although I open them manually to the full position, just as a caution I do not press "open fully at this location" in case I don't have the X parked in the same spot at some future time. In my case it is easier for passengers to get in after I pull the X to the drive way. With 8.0, the doors open much faster. I think this is a result of request to make them faster open and close. So Tesla seems to have reached the "sweet-spot" on speed and sensitivity. I was OK with the slower speed -- it didn't startle the rear passengers...now I just warn them that I am closing the doors. It is less hassle than try to explain to them the first time.

I also have not been able to get the trunk to remember to open fully in the garage. It is a real pain hitting your head all time.

I also have not been able to get the trunk to remember to open fully in the garage. It is a real pain hitting your head all time.

Is setting the X trunk opening height different than the S? On the S (with premium package or tech package), you open the trunk to where you want it, then press and hold the trunk button until it gives you multiple short beeps. It will then open to that new height. However, the S doesn't have GPS awareness for the X, so I don't know if the X maybe does GPS "whitelisting" of height for the trunk like it does for the falcon wing doors.

Is setting the X trunk opening height different than the S? On the S (with premium package or tech package), you open the trunk to where you want it, then press and hold the trunk button until it gives you multiple short beeps. It will then open to that new height. However, the S doesn't have GPS awareness for the X, so I don't know if the X maybe does GPS "whitelisting" of height for the trunk like it does for the falcon wing doors.
Same idea just doesn't work.