Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO there was a deadline to finish Version 6.0 in time for this deployment of the Alpha Model X, since to a degree it means the Model X hardware is "locked," with only critical hardware+software changes being allowed from now on.

However, this now means that the Version 6.0 can be released for Model S. It's no coincidence that it is very close for Model S. IMO it was being tested in the company's tester Model S cars all year long and is fully compatible with existing Model S cars.

You're conflating too many things. The X has zero impact on v6.0; don't forget the X is still ~1 year away from customer cars so that one will be released with maybe FW v7.5.

v6.0 is complicated because of the real time traffic navigation planning and it's well known that it's been in beta testing for some time. Tesla is just working through the bugs before general release.

That gives you crappy sound quality.

Actually, the A2DP implementation on the Tesla is pretty good. Some A2DP stacks only support the low end SBC codec, but I think Tesla's supports something better since it sounds better (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC are all options to the A2DP spec). Obviously, it depends on the A2DP support in your connecting Bluetooth device to get better than SBC. I've used an early generation Bluetooth receiver in my Mercedes to get A2DP and it sounds much worse (probably SBC, intended for audio calls). Is it awesome? No, but certainly we're not talking about streaming high fidelity lossless anyways from websites. The A2DP quality is pretty much indistinguishable with say, pop music from the USB drive with the same AAC encoding.

My only issue I find with it is the lag - it is hard to use the Tesla's sound system as surround sound speakers for an iPad playing a movie because the audio sync is not good, it's about 0.25 or 0.5 seconds behind.

My only issue I find with it is the lag - it is hard to use the Tesla's sound system as surround sound speakers for an iPad playing a movie because the audio sync is not good, it's about 0.25 or 0.5 seconds behind.

Really? Admittedly I've only used the iPad in the car so the kids can watch movies, but they haven't complained about lag (and they're fairly picky consumers in my experience). Something to check before I go ahead building a more permanent mounting solution!

Actually, the A2DP implementation on the Tesla is pretty good. Some A2DP stacks only support the low end SBC codec, but I think Tesla's supports something better since it sounds better (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC are all options to the A2DP spec). Obviously, it depends on the A2DP support in your connecting Bluetooth device to get better than SBC. I've used an early generation Bluetooth receiver in my Mercedes to get A2DP and it sounds much worse (probably SBC, intended for audio calls). Is it awesome? No, but certainly we're not talking about streaming high fidelity lossless anyways from websites. The A2DP quality is pretty much indistinguishable with say, pop music from the USB drive with the same AAC encoding.

Yes about the quality. It depends on both ends of the connection. A poor implementation on the music device will make result in poor quality. I find the Tesla implementation quite good with my phone which has a good implementation with reasonable source music.

I remember back in the 90s when microprocessors were making huge strides and we were inventing componentized software, all the talk was about ubiquity of processors, dedicated devices for different purposes, price getting low enough that every appliance would have a computerized UI. Now that we are there, people see a screen, and seem to want the same behavior from every device. Let the MS be a car and have a UI suitable for a car. You want to have your kids watch movies... tablet a great idea. Don't like the sound? There are awesome external speakers for under $100! Or stream to Tesla as noted above. Want to watch video on the main console? Please let me know when you are on the road and I'll stay off it! Want to watch while supercharging? Back to tablet! I like what technology has wrought. When I see an iPad at the auto show that's serving as a dedicated device to describe a show car, I think that's a GREAT use of technology... I would not ask to watch a movie on it just because it looks like it could/should.

You're conflating too many things. The X has zero impact on v6.0; don't forget the X is still ~1 year away from customer cars so that one will be released with maybe FW v7.5.

v6.0 is complicated because of the real time traffic navigation planning and it's well known that it's been in beta testing for some time. Tesla is just working through the bugs before general release.

Agreed. The only impact X has on v6.0 is the same impact it (or Model 3) should have had on every version to date - namely, making sure that any piece of code written for the current model offering will not need to be rewritten for any other Tesla model offering (whether that means a flag being set or good to go 'as is').

How would you work though? I'd assume that you need a laptop hopping on that WiFi. You cannot get work done from the car's screen, can you?

Well yes, I would be using my laptop. I have a LTE hot spot, but wifi at superchargers would be nice. Of course, it would make no sense from Tesla's point of view because it adds one more thing to monitor, maintain, and repair.

- - - Updated - - -

My $0.02 on Version 6.0... this software is undoubtedly the first version deployed in the Model X... it won't have anything earlier than Version 6.0. This past week, they just started driving Alpha versions of the Model X around. IMO there was a deadline to finish Version 6.0 in time for this deployment of the Alpha Model X, since to a degree it means the Model X hardware is "locked," with only critical hardware+software changes being allowed from now on.

The fact that Tesla is still in the alpha prototyping stages for Model X says to me that they still have a long way to go before locking anything down. Model X and version 6.0 software are completely unrelated. By the time Model X rolls of the line, we will probably be at version 6.5 or 7.

Doesn't each car have a unique MAC ID? Maybe they could program them all to automatically be recognized on the wifi network.
Of course...

Tesla could just deliver on "the car is a wifi hotspot" (like Audi and others that have now somewhat embarrassed Tesla in this regard, IMO) and the supercharger scenario just becomes "car delegates wifi to supercharger instead of AT&T (and has higher bandwidth)".

As a customer, that's what I want. But I'm not holding my breath. :(

Wow, I guess I'd never actually tried this carefully myself (and thinking about it the only thing the kids have really watched in the car so far is the Lego Movie which is about as insensitive a video to audio sync as you can imagine!).

The sync is terrible - completely unusable for watching video.

Well that's ruined my entire plan for rear seat entertainment.

(Or at least I'll have to run a video player that supports configurable sync delays...)

Wow, I guess I'd never actually tried this carefully myself (and thinking about it the only thing the kids have really watched in the car so far is the Lego Movie which is about as insensitive a video to audio sync as you can imagine!).

The sync is terrible - completely unusable for watching video.

Well that's ruined my entire plan for rear seat entertainment.

(Or at least I'll have to run a video player that supports configurable sync delays...)

I had the same problem on our first long trip. I did not find out the Bluetooth was so delayed until the night before the trip!

Fortunately, the Model S is pretty quite, and the kids were able to watch movies using only the iPad's build in speakers...

So, when do we start taking bets on timing and features added?

I tried to keep the tradition alive but nobody else felt like joining in:

Let's put some of the speculation to rest on 6.0. Features likely to be added (mentioned in various threads):

streaming video while in park through the browser
live traffic smart nav
trip planner that takes into account weather, elevation, etc. and estimates range

Although, apparently I'm wrong about video. Backup camera guidelines as a consolation prize? Will we ever get those?