Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are sure that the pack has the ability to split internally to charge at 400V (Porsche and other 800V packs already do this - it's not a secret).
Porsche, and other 800v, packs do not already do this:
  • Porsche uses a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage. (Standard is 50kW, you can pay extra to get 150kW capability.)
  • Hyundai/Kia use the rear motor inverter to boost the voltage, and I think is limited to 100-140kW.
  • Lucid uses a DC-DC converter and is limited to ~45kW.

GM is the opposite, they have a 400v pack under normal operation, and when at a compatible 800v charger they reconfigure it to be an 800v pack to charge. (But it causes balancing problems, as the cooling equipment is still running on half of the pack as it is only 400v compatible.)

Porsche, and other 800v, packs do not already do this:
  • Porsche uses a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage. (Standard is 50kW, you can pay extra to get 150kW capability.)
  • Hyundai/Kia use the rear motor inverter to boost the voltage, and I think is limited to 100-140kW.
  • Lucid uses a DC-DC converter and is limited to ~45kW.

GM is the opposite, they have a 400v pack under normal operation, and when at a compatible 800v charger they reconfigure it to be an 800v pack to charge. (But it causes balancing problems, as the cooling equipment is still running on half of the pack as it is only 400v compatible.)
They talk a little about this where I'm starting this video.

Sure?

"sure" doesn't make it funny. It makes it stupid.

Often times people lack brain ability/usage doesn't get blamed in the right direction. this is definitely one. sad.
It is funny to see a "Ford" pulling it out (or sad, depending on one's perspective and sense of humor (or lack thereof)).

As you know, there have been many reported and photographed "RC" breakdowns (and videos) the past six months with them being towed away by Tesla's own vehicles. Surely, the production/Founder's Editions delivering now have had these breakdown issues resolved (and not coming "soon" via a "refresh"). Looking forward to actual owners of the Founder Edition truck reports. Those should start coming in by year's end.

Mounting the winch might be a bit of a pain, I don't really know what kind of frame members are all the way forward, but the way tesla likes to do its unibody crash protection doesn't put too much solid very far in front of the firewall. I'm sure someone will build a big aftermarket bumper that will come back and tie in to something, but it's not going to be cheap.

Reactions: jebinc
Given they're using a 48v architecture I'd imagine we'll see winches come out eventually - has anyone found one from a third party supplier yet?
Yep, Unplugged Performance has a solution: Tesla Cybertruck UP INVINCIBLE® HD Front Bull Bar - Unplugged Performance

It is kind of expensive, $1,995 for the bull bar, and another $1,995 for their winch. (Though they say you can use any other winch you want. The BadLand 12k pound winch is only $529.99, but it probably isn't 48v compatible.)

Yep, Unplugged Performance has a solution: Tesla Cybertruck UP INVINCIBLE® HD Front Bull Bar - Unplugged Performance

It is kind of expensive, $1,995 for the bull bar, and another $1,995 for their winch. (Though they say you can use any other winch you want. The BadLand 12k pound winch is only $529.99, but it probably isn't 48v compatible.)
I wonder how much power will be available at 12v. Obviously moving most of the architecture to 48v there won't be as much of a need for 12v stuff, but there will be some 12v for user accessories, and some of the base electronics for doors etc so you can use a jump box like current Teslas like Elon alluded to.

Because it didn't drive down the hill?
Or because he was smart enough not to drive down the hill. But even if he did he could use the winch to get back on trail.

It's embarrassing more than anything especially when the expectations are so high. The CT is suppose to be able to go anywhere. Any planet.
Tackle anything! How about earth?:)

Screenshot 2023-12-12 132825.png
:)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Or because he was smart enough not to drive down the hill. But even if he did he could use the winch to get back on trail.

It's embarrassing more than anything especially when the expectations are so high. The CT is suppose to be able to go anywhere. Any planet.
Tackle anything! How about earth?:)

View attachment 998701:)

That looks like an F350 which doesn't come standard with a winch either. If you want one add one, to either truck.

Physics matter, no matter the planet. Looking at the dip, the angle and the packed ice, anything out there would have gotten stuck, not sure even chains would have mattered.

I agree the driver was 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I wonder how much power will be available at 12v. Obviously moving most of the architecture to 48v there won't be as much of a need for 12v stuff, but there will be some 12v for user accessories, and some of the base electronics for doors etc so you can use a jump box like current Teslas like Elon alluded to.
We have not seen any 12v available in the Cybertruck. (I would guess that there is 12v available for the trailer hook-up.)

Tesla does provide two 2.4kW Power Feeds, likely 48v @ 50A, one in the Frunk area and the other on the roof.

Tesla has said that the jump posts accepts both 12v and 48v. (It detects 12v and boosts it to 48v automatically.)

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and pdx_m3s
call it "lane keep assist with adaptive cruise control" ... that's what it basically is. *Most* OEMs offer that. not as sexy branding as "Full self driving" though.

GM "supercruise" and Ford "Bluecruise" will even sell you "lane keep assist with adaptive cruise control + hands-free"

Hey - I'm back. I saw the CyberTruck for the first time up close.

However - the other point is... wait for it.... wait for it....

That "no named product" drove from my driveway - all the way to Naperville Il Tesla WITHOUT any intervention. AND BACK AGAIN with no interventions.
Naperville IL Tesla is 32 miles from my driveway. It even self-parked itself when I got there. Thats why I want this "no named product" on my Cybertruck.

So. 14 miles of local roads/stop signs/stoplights/left hand turns/etc. and the rest on 5 different expressways. NO interventions.

I need for anyone to give me suggestions as to any other system I can use to try it again tomorrow or later this week. What other system do you know of that can get me from my driveway to Naperville IL Tesla with no braking/acceleration/steering? It was fun.

I don't care what it is named.... just give me some suggestions that you are confident of that can do that.

Anywhoo, here are a few pics from my CT visit today. I wish they didn't have Christmas lights shining on it. Anywhoo.

20231212_124147.jpg

20231212_124306.jpg

20231212_124109.jpg

I now understand what people mean when they say that it looks better in person.

Last edited: