Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DANGEROUS MAPPING ERRORS ON CURVY MOUNTAIN ROADS [Correction: Tesla map accurately displays this section of I-8]

Have you seen this kind of mapping error? (check all that apply)

• Yes, I have seen this kind of mapping error

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, I have not seen this kind of mapping error

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Yes, I think this could be dangerous

• No, I think this is NOT dangerous at all

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes, I think it's important Tesla fix this immediately

• No, I don't think it's important for Tesla to fix this

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I find this kind of mapping error very commonly on curvy roads

• I find this kind of mapping error on occasion on curvy roads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believe that this kind of mapping error could explain some Tesla accidents

• I don't think this mapping error is the cause of any Tesla accidents

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • There is no mapping error. This appears to be user error.

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every so often a family friend will send me a link about Tesla crashes on autopilot and how dangerous my new car can be. I've always thought that these must be people who are doing really crazy things, until I took a road trip from San Diego to Dallas that took me through some curvy mountain roads. There I repeatedly noticed that the map and driving direction deviate in such a way, that the driver can be easily confused and drive OFF the road, into a median barrier or worse into oncoming traffic. When you are tired and it's dark, that's when having this kind of mismatch can be particularly confusing and dangerous. Imagine being tired and suddenly noticing a map that looks like you are driving off the road and need to course correct when you don't.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I don't ever see such a problem with Waze which also uses the Google Maps data base or even Google Maps driving instructions. It seems to be an issue ONLY with Tesla's rendition of Google mapping.

Admittedly these are NOT the greatest pictures, but it's dark and the car is moving. The blue line is the Tesla Nav's actual movement trajectory. The white lines are the Google Maps. These usually coincide on typical city roads, but not on some very dangerous mountain roads where the road winds and curves a LOT. I can easily imagine someone getting confused and steering the car THE WRONG WAY even when it is on autopilot. It is my guess that a collision or accident that occurs immediately after someone pulls you out of autopilot may register as auto pilot related collision.

Could this explain some of the Tesla accidents?

IMG_6469.JPG
IMG_6468.JPG

No one should be looking at the map when driving. You should definitely and only look at where you're going. The reality is the only important thing. Maps will always be out of date since reality changes and maps take a while before they are updated. You'll see that in roads that are being repaired or enhanced.

Instructions will be dictated as you drive, but you should still look at reality to see what's going on and take your decisions.

Autopilot doesn't use the map, it uses the cameras to look at reality.

I agree with GtiMart. Any maps could be different from the actual road to varying degree such as new construction, road closure and etc. Though map/navigation should be as accurate as possible, I believe it is ultimately driver's responsibility to remain focused on road to stay on correct path and avoid accident... If a driver is too tired to the point that he or she cannot ascertain the road, then it is wayyyyy safer to pull over for a break in SC or rest area. Thus, I do not see this as a significant problem though I see your concern. After all, Tesla does update its map on regular basis as far as I am aware. My previous vehicles like Audi and BMW had no map updates for like a year... 😭

P.S. I would be more concerned of anyone using phone to take a photo of screen while driving even if it is engaged on AP 😉

Cheers 🍺

Reactions: brkaus
Yeah. Let's pretend that he's the first and only person to have driven this part of the highway.

Notice that the new nick, Han Solo, doesn't state that he got in an crash or accident or anything like that. He's just implying that since he's SSsssooooo confused, maybe, just maybe, some other driver just might get in an accident. Dddduuurrrr... :rolleyes:

Using AP on curvy mountain roads is a complete non-issue. It's somewhat relaxing as I didn't have to pay attention and just let the car handle the slow stop and go traffic.

MY_Beach_AP.jpg

I can't figure out what your complaint is. You do realize that on that stretch of I-8 the highway does actually separate and cross over itself, exactly as displayed in your pictures of the nav, right?

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I didn't vote because despite your numerous poll options, you left out the one correct answer: THERE IS NO MAPPING ERROR

The maps are displaying I-8 correctly. The roadways diverge and cross over one another exactly as pictured. There is no problem and nobody is in danger.

If you're drowsy and you find yourself confused as to your whereabouts, your best option is to react to whatever is directly in front of you, not whatever you think the navigation is telling you in your drowsy state. Better yet, navigate to a hotel or a rest area so you can get some rest and not endanger other road users. It's ironic that you're the problem in your scenario of the alleged car problem.

My only gripe with the Tesla navigation is that unlike Waze and Google, it seems to lack a lot of the Keep-Left and Keep-Right instructions... Waze and Google seem to do a MUCH better job at this. There were a few times, where the Tesla navigation told me to exit, without telling me which lane to use, and didn't tell me which way to keep in the exit, so I had to look at the blue line to figure it out, and realized I needed to move over more.... I've never had that happen with Waze/Google. Even more annoying, is when Tesla navigation did that on a regular 2 lane highway... Road forked in two directions, and Tesla was silent on which fork to take.

My only gripe with the Tesla navigation is that unlike Waze and Google, it seems to lack a lot of the Keep-Left and Keep-Right instructions... Waze and Google seem to do a MUCH better job at this. There were a few times, where the Tesla navigation told me to exit, without telling me which lane to use, and didn't tell me which way to keep in the exit, so I had to look at the blue line to figure it out, and realized I needed to move over more.... I've never had that happen with Waze/Google. Even more annoying, is when Tesla navigation did that on a regular 2 lane highway... Road forked in two directions, and Tesla was silent on which fork to take.
The lanes to take are on the screen. Not through voice prompts.