Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @SG57 ,

Last update (17) looks do have broken part of the charge screen. See attached.

Screenshot_20180206-091204.png

Thanks,

• Funny
Reactions: SG57
@MMC- , wow that looks terrible! That appears to be a cosmetic issue on smaller screens, will fix right away, sorry about that.

@rush6410 , home-screen widgets automatically update every 30 minutes or so, though this can vary greatly between devices, and might not happen at all automatically if battery saver mode is on or if the device is asleep. All current widgets when updating will poll the vehicle's state.

Smart charging polls the vehicle's location every 15 minutes or so, although it won't necessarily poll the vehicle state unless you're at an enabled smart charging location where more vehicle state information is needed to continue processing.

Camper mode, cabin temperature protection, plug-in reminder all inherently poll the vehicle state.

Last edited:
Just noticed that there is a difference between Dashboard and the Tesla app when displaying charge current.
When doing a full charge, the current is ramped down as the battery is nearing 100%. Dashboard seems to be showing the setpoint, while Tesla is showing the actual amps.
See screenshot for an example, in this instance the Tesla app was showing 6A, while Dashboard is displaying 15A. The kW reading is correct for 6A.
No big deal, but since you seem like someone that likes getting every detail right, I thought you would like to know.

Attachments

• 2018-02-09 15.46.37.png
    2018-02-09 15.46.37.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
@MMC- , wow that looks terrible! That appears to be a cosmetic issue on smaller screens, will fix right away, sorry about that.

@rush6410 , home-screen widgets automatically update every 30 minutes or so, though this can vary greatly between devices, and might not happen at all automatically if battery saver mode is on or if the device is asleep. All current widgets when updating will poll the vehicle's state.

Smart charging polls the vehicle's location every 15 minutes or so, although it won't necessarily poll the vehicle state unless you're at an enabled smart charging location where more vehicle state information is needed to continue processing.

Camper mode, cabin temperature protection, plug-in reminder all inherently poll the vehicle state.

UI fixed, thanks.

Quick question on 1x1 charge widget, can you add an indication of which car the widget is for? With 2 cars the widget works well, but I cannot tell from the widget itself which car is which. The 4x1 Controls Widget has this already.

• Helpful
Reactions: SG57 and scottf200
Hi, @SG57 , it seems Dashboard was able to accept charge limit even if I changed it at the same time I turn on Smart Charging. It worked!

The other issue still hasn't been fixed. Here's the log. It seems Dashboard was waiting for streams to come in, but the API call didn't seem to wake the car up. I actually launched Dashboard app at around 17:20 (5:21pm). The log shiws that Dashboard waited from 17:07 to 17:21, until I manually woke it up. Hope this helps.

Note that people who is concerned with the vampire drain turn on energy saving and turn off always connected. If always connected is on, if you use TeslaFi, the car won't sleep.

###########################################
Smart Charging - Polling
Current time: Fri Feb 09 16:37:29 GMT+09:00 2018
Adding processing notification
Removing any previous notification
Waiting for internet connection
Total smart charging locations: 1
Enabled smart charging locations: 1
Keeping only the smart charging location 'Office' because its session is started
Getting vehicle summary
Streaming token acquired: length: 16
Telemtry connection constructed
Telemetry onFatalError: com.sg57.tesladashboard.d.b
Telemetry onDataError: com.sg57.tesladashboard.d.b
SERVICE ERROR: com.sg57.tesladashboard.d.b
com.sg57.tesladashboard.d.b: com.sg57.tesladashboard.d.b
at com.sg57.tesladashboard.network.telemetry.a$3.a(TelemetryConnection.java:261)
at com.sg57.tesladashboard.network.telemetry.a$3.a(TelemetryConnection.java:186)
at com.sg57.tesladashboard.a.a$2$1.run(BetterAsyncTask.java:94)
Service rescheduled to poll at: Fri Feb 09 17:07:29 GMT+09:00 2018 - that's 7.499 minutes in the future

###########################################
Smart Charging - Polling
Current time: Fri Feb 09 17:07:30 GMT+09:00 2018
Adding processing notification
Removing any previous notification
Waiting for internet connection
Total smart charging locations: 1
Enabled smart charging locations: 1
Keeping only the smart charging location 'Office' because its session is started
Getting vehicle summary
Streaming token acquired: length: 16
Telemtry connection constructed
Telemtry onDataReceived: Timestamp: Fri Feb 09 17:21:00 GMT+09:00 2018 Speed: 0 Odometer: 3764.7 Battery Percent: 59 Power: 0 Shift State: P Range: 96 Location: [REDACTED]
Vehicle's distance to smart charging location 'Office': 2.256873974794466 meters
Smart charging location 'Office' radius: 99.0 meters
Vehicle is close enough to smart charging location: Office
Smart charging location selected for processing: Office
Current charging state: Stopped
Battery current raw value: not provided
Battery charge: 59%
Battery charge limit: 90%
Vehicle is plugged in
Charging has not completed
Setting - Session Started: true
Setting - Charge Rate: 37.374805 mi per hour
Setting - Charge Completion Time: Fri Feb 09 19:30:00 GMT+09:00 2018
Setting - Time Restriction Start: Sat Feb 10 00:00:00 GMT+09:00 2018
Setting - Time Restriction End: Sat Feb 10 07:00:00 GMT+09:00 2018
Actual Charge State's Time-To-Full-Charge: 4.75
Using manual charge rate for charge duration calculation: false
Calculated charge duration: 7857146 ms, that's 2 hours 11 minutes
Calculated charge start time: Fri Feb 09 17:19:02 GMT+09:00 2018
Is Start time future: false
Are time restrictions in effect: false
Will attempt to stop charge: false
Will attempt to start charge: true
Start charging command sent
HVAC is on: false
Smart preconditioning is on: false
Battery heater is on: false
Inside temp: 62.78 F
Outside temp: 58.1 F
Start charging command success
Service rescheduled to poll at: Fri Feb 09 17:36:04 GMT+09:00 2018 - that's 15.000 minutes in the future

• Informative
@Veggen , you are correct. Dashboard for Tesla is showing the set amperage and not the actual current amperage. I believe I made a decision last year which one to display and I found the set amperage to be more valuable. Fast forward, I don't see why I can't just show both and design the UI around it. I'll add it to the next update, thanks for the heads up!

@NewTMSMan , good point. The 1x1 charge widget is a tad cramped, but I can see why some sort of indicator would be useful. I'll make it work and get you an indicator, likely put the name of the vehicle or part of the VIN at least somewhere in the widget.

For what it's worth, this wouldn't be a problem if you only had 1 Tesla! I'd go so far as to say this problem is a good problem to have ;)

@hiroshiy , excellent! That new log info is just what I need, and you may be on to something. I'm going to try a fix and disable the "Always Connected" setting in the car and test it myself. Just for testing purposes, do you have TeslaFi runnning, or any home-screen widgets, plug-in reminder, automatic behavior, Wear device, or other background services setup or running? I want to know what I would need to do to re-create your problem exactly. Smart Charging and "Always Connected" disabled and no TeslaFi service running is what I'm going to try.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have Dashboard, mostly inactive other than Smart Charging, and TeslaFi. No widgets, no background apps or services other than them. My setting is energy saving on and always connected off. My TeslaFi is active 24h but it lets my car to sleep after about 90 minutes of idling.

The problem happens while the car is asleep so I think TeslaFi has nothing to do with it, as if it does, the car would wake up.

@hiroshiy , after looking into it, the error you're seeing is an unauthorized error. For some reason the streaming token literally just retrieved from the vehicle summary to access the vehicle's location over the streaming API has expired. Something else is going on here as this defeats the purpose of the service returning a streaming token to begin with.

Either TeslaFi is revoking tokens when it detects the car is asleep (?), or when the vehicle does sleep it stops sending a new streaming token and the previously generated one is always reported and can become expired. These streaming tokens expire and a new one is reported somewhere between 10-30 minutes.

Smart charging uses the streaming token to get the vehicle's location without having to wake the car up when not at a smart charging location, or at least that's the idea. This error you're seeing is the first I've heard of the issue and was a bit of an edge case. I hadn't thought possible for the streaming API to experience unauthorized access but the previous API calls to succeed.

First, I can fix the awful service error description with all the obfuscated exception non-sense.

Second, can you verify TeslaFi isn't interfering whatsoever? It may be revoking tokens when the vehicle sleeps, I suggest disabling it altogether for a day or two and see if smart charging experiences the same errors.

Lastly, I fear at some point I'm going to have to require smart charging users accept that their vehicle will not sleep by the very nature of having to check the vehicle's location and charge state information so frequently. This will turn off the vampire drain fearing users, but it's a necessary evil. For what it's worth, Smart Charging by querying the streaming API and not the drive state directly is supposed to let the vehicle sleep while not at a smart charging location.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Going to try using this for departure time charging. Getting sick of waking up to a warm cabin but a cold battery.
Question is, does the app override whatever is set for scheduled charging on the car itself? Should that be turned off? May become obvious when I try to set it up but thought I'd ask.

Going to try using this for departure time charging. Getting sick of waking up to a warm cabin but a cold battery.
Question is, does the app override whatever is set for scheduled charging on the car itself? Should that be turned off? May become obvious when I try to set it up but thought I'd ask.
Yes.

Smart Charging requires either your scheduled charge to be disabled in the car so it can control exactly when to start charging without interference, or you must enable the "allow charge stopping" setting for your smart charging location to workaround any interference.

In detail, the "allow charge stopping" setting means you give permission to the service to send a "Stop Charge" command should it ever detect the car is charging when it shouldn't be based on your target completion time and your average charge rate for that location. So when the setting is enabled, you don't need to disable your scheduled charge in the car Smart Charging will immediately detect when it starts and stop it if necessary based on your desired completion time.

Yes.

Smart Charging requires either your scheduled charge to be disabled in the car so it can control exactly when to start charging without interference, or you must enable the "allow charge stopping" setting for your smart charging location to workaround any interference.

In detail, the "allow charge stopping" setting means you give permission to the service to send a "Stop Charge" command should it ever detect the car is charging when it shouldn't be based on your target completion time and your average charge rate for that location. So when the setting is enabled, you don't need to disable your scheduled charge in the car Smart Charging will immediately detect when it starts and stop it if necessary based on your desired completion time.

Thanks for the explanation! Couple more questions for you.
1. My home charger is the tesla wall charger and I have the power level set at 60 (in the car). Does your app adjust that setting at all or does that stay fixed at whatever is set in the car?

2. I ran a speedtest just for fun. When I click on the data folder i get a message saying no file explorer installed (which isn't true I have a few different ones on my phone). Is there a specific FE the app needs to use? Or if you can tell me the storage path of the app I can find the files myself probably.

Hi, @SG57 , thanks so much for your support on this sleep issue. I removed Tesla Token in TeslaFi and put it 24h deep sleep mode, so it hopefully won't poll the API at all.
Attached is the log file. Take a look from Feb 14 (yes we are already on 15th). In summary I think the Dashboard app successfully polled until the car sleeps, and then got unrecoverable until past the calculated charging start time. In this log, again I started Dashboard app manually to wake the car up.

It is interesting that the app indeed can wake the car up, but it doesn't do so at the last polling period, or like 3 minutes before the start time.

Attachments

• Dashboard for Tesla - Smart Charging Log.txt
    140.2 KB · Views: 40
@hiroshiy , it makes sense that opening the app would fix it since the app queries the vehicle's state upon connecting which would cause the vehicle to wake up. Clearly the streaming API I'm using to get the vehicle's location is working in that it doesn't wake the vehicle up, but it's failing in that you're getting an unauthorized error while the vehicle sleeps.

If after disabling TeslaFi the problem still persists, there's nothing I can do. It's a limitation by Tesla that the streaming token being offered is stale/expired once the vehicle sleeps, unfortunately.

@hiroshiy , it makes sense that opening the app would fix it since the app queries the vehicle's state upon connecting which would cause the vehicle to wake up. Clearly the streaming API I'm using to get the vehicle's location is working in that it doesn't wake the vehicle up, but it's failing in that you're getting an unauthorized error while the vehicle sleeps.

If after disabling TeslaFi the problem still persists, there's nothing I can do. It's a limitation by Tesla that the streaming token being offered is stale/expired once the vehicle sleeps, unfortunately.
Understood.

Isn't it possible for the app to query the status of the car (like the app does on startup) about 3 minutes before the charge start time, so that the app can reconnect streaming API to restart Scheduled Charging?