Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I use TeslaFi with always connected on and here is an example of my car going idle for 18 hours.
dES7ibJ.jpg
I’m confused as to what you are trying to say - the way you phrased it seems as if to say that you are providing an example of how @hiroshiy was incorrect but actually this is further support of their statement that having always connected on will impact sleeping. When you aren’t using your car Teslafi will show it as either sleeping or idling.

Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I’m confused as to what you are trying to say - the way you phrased it seems as if to say that you are providing an example of how @hiroshiy was incorrect but actually this is further support of their statement that having always connected on will impact sleeping. When you aren’t using your car Teslafi will show it as either sleeping or idling.
Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?
Thank you for the correction. I think you and @hiroshiy are correct and I was wrong. I forgot that there is a real sleep mode. My car is clearly not doing that but it is just 'idling'. I am sorry for any confusion I caused.

I also found the knowledge base document that shows I was wrong: My car is not sleeping! / Knowledge base Forum / TeslaFi

Reactions: hiroshiy
FYI, I use TeslaFi with always connected on and here is an example of my car going idle for 18 hours.
dES7ibJ.jpg
That's what I wanted to prevent. In idle mode car keeps using battery power, resulting in vampire drain. It can be dangerous if I park my car at the airport and away for more than a week in winter. I would like the car to sleep.

Reactions: scottf200
Thank you for the correction. I think you and @hiroshiy are correct and I was wrong. I forgot that there is a real sleep mode. My car is clearly not doing that but it is just 'idling'. I am sorry for any confusion I caused.

I also found the knowledge base document that shows I was wrong: My car is not sleeping! / Knowledge base Forum / TeslaFi

No worries - we are all learning every day in these forums. I've been voraciously consuming information about winter driving, the battery heater, etc. and I'm still constantly learning new things.

What I've found helps with sleeping is as follows:
-Try changing your tesla.com password, this is a brute force way to cut off all the mobile access things that could potentially be interrupting your sleep cycles. (like teslafi, the tesla app, remote s, etc.)
-make sure power saving on and always connected off - my car will still sleep with these settings the other way but significantly less so - perhaps a few hours at most a day
-add them in one at a time. I start with teslafi since it will easily tell me what's going on. I make sure I can get sleeping to work on that first and then restore access to other apps.
-in teslafi try making settings what I've got below. I'm not saying they are optimal but they are getting me some sleep. Unchecking the temperature in "try to sleep requirements" ended up being crucial for me after one of the recent software updates in December
-I don't know if this is crucial but I've disabled background app refresh through iOS settings in remote s and the tesla app since they seemed at one point to hamper sleeping. One of these days I will experiment with this again and verify.

With all of this I'm still finding that my car averages about 50-60% sleep and 40-50% idle when not using it. Not as much sleep as previous software version.

If people have further suggestions for maximizing sleep please let me know. I haven't used deep sleep mode except for when I'm leaving the car for an extended period of time not plugged in. Anyone have experience in how this works on a daily basis?

upload_2018-1-27_9-19-40.png

@Hacksaw , there is a long-time known issue at the native-level sometimes causing a crash and it only affects Samsung devices. It's outside my control and is related to closing the app while using a TextureView (in this case the MapView on the location screen) within a ViewPager (the thing that let's you swipe left and right to different screens).

More technical information here on Google's issue tracking.

I can't fix the underlying issue as it's on Samsung to address, however I can easily move the location screen out of a ViewPager into its own activity essentially working around the issue.

I suspect this issue is to blame for all the users experiencing crashes when the app goes into the background recently. I will get this fixed and released ASAP, possibly by tonight. Hopefully you can test and verify the fix for me once out, sorry for the inconvenience this whole time.

-

@hiroshiy , for what it's worth, Smart Charging does not wake up your vehicle when not at an enabled smart charging location. It uses the streaming API to acquire the vehicle's location, where the most recent one is cached Tesla server-side, so no interaction with your vehicle that would wake it up.

If you are at an enabled smart charging location only then does it query the charge state to check if it's plugged in and whatnot which definitely does wake the vehicle up.

Last edited:
@Hacksaw , there is a long-time known issue at the native-level sometimes causing a crash and it only affects Samsung devices. It's outside my control and is related to closing the app while using a TextureView (in this case the MapView on the location screen) within a ViewPager (the thing that let's you swipe left and right to different screens).

I can't fix the underlying issue as it's on Samsung to address, however I can easily move the location screen out of a ViewPager into its own activity essentially working around the issue.

I suspect this issue is to blame for all the users experiencing crashes when the app goes into the background recently. I will get this fixed and released ASAP, possibly by tonight. Hopefully you can test and verify the fix for me once out, sorry for the inconvenience this whole time.

-

@hiroshiy , for what it's worth, Smart Charging does not wake up your vehicle when not at an enabled smart charging location. It uses the streaming API to acquire the vehicle's location, where the most recent one is cached Tesla server-side, so no interaction with your vehicle that would wake it up.

If you are at an enabled smart charging location only then does it query the charge state to check if it's plugged in and whatnot which definitely does wake the vehicle up.
That's right.

That said, the app still tries to connect to the car every time it starts up, and as a result, the car wakes up from sleep. Is it possible to have an "sleep mode" that allow the app to work without connecting, and asks me whether to wake the car or not when it needs to connect.

I had an unattended HVAC problem again today. I am trying to rule out Dashboard for Tesla. Maybe a Tesla bug.
Maybe a TeslaFI bug. -- Home -
Maybe a Amazon Alex 'My EV' bug. -- https://www.amazon.com/Nikhil-Kapur-My-Tesla-Unofficial/dp/B01N9Y4I1E?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1
Anyway/thoughts on an option to log HVAC and/or CamperMode commands sent from the app like you have a log for SmartCharging?
I drove to a sporting event and then left the car for several hours. You can see the HVAC doing odd things.

Below is a cut-n-past of the data from TeslaFi that check the car every minute. I charted the inside tempeature.
hTGNknR.jpg

Reactions: SG57
@Kacey Green , I'm unable to reproduce the crash you've experienced when the app goes into the background. I suspect this may be device specific, by any chance is your device a Samsung Galaxy? Is the crash still happening for you reliably every time you minimize the app or switch apps? When you try to submit a crash report, even if the app crashes again (?), can you re-enter the email app it opens to send off the crash report? Sorry for the inconvenience, just need some more information here.

@hiroshiy , can you still reliably cause the smart charging service errors to occur? If you are running Android Marshmallow or newer do you have Battery Optimizations disabled? Do you have the "always connected" setting enabled in the vehicle itself? Do the service errors occur when your vehicle sleeps at an enabled smart charging location, or not, or doesn't matter?

If you could, enable Smart Charging Logging from the Settings screen at the bottom under Advanced section. This will save a log file on the root of your storage every time smart charging service runs with more details as to what happened. You should then try to reproduce the service error so its results are logged to the file, then share the contents of the log file with me either right here, thru PM, or send it to my support email. Note, all sensitive information from this log file is automatically redacted, so you're safe to share the log file contents.

I'm still trying to reproduce this error on my end, worst case I can have you join a closed beta version of the app that has additional tricks for troubleshooting and debugging this issue. Trust, we'll find it and fix it!

Yes, it an Att Galaxy S8+, it still does this reliably, and twice since my last posting, it has done an incomplete smart charge, once this morning where it didn't start until I opened the app up and this weekend where it was late to start. Is the resume time setting the car's scheduled charging or is the app actively doing it? I have it excluded from power saving in the OS and the car set to always connected. I will send another email from the app in just a moment. I have also enabled smart charging logging just now when looking for the send logcat button.

-

Thank u

Hi, @SG57 ,
Today, I encountered two issues. Recently, as I reported earlier, if my car is sleeping Scheduled Charging doesn't start, so I usually manually wakes up the car 10 minutes before the scheduled time by hand (just opening Dashboard for Tesla to wake it up).

(1) Take a look at the first two entries of the attached log file. The charge limit was 70%, but I raised to 100% and set the Scheduled Charging. After I quit Dashboard for Tesla, it seems the time to completion was calculated based on 70%, not 100%. Thus I re-opened Dashboard for Tesla and disable-enable the Smart Charging to set the correct time.
(2) After the Scheduled Charging started, it suddenly stopped after about 13 minutes. At Thu Feb 01 15:24:25 GMT+09:00 2018 it started charging, and then at Thu Feb 01 15:39:37 GMT+09:00 2018, Dashboard stopped charging for no apparent reason (at least for me). I noticed 14 minutes later and manually re-enabled the charging.

This (1) always happen on weekends as I usually charge more on weekends. (2) happened only twice until now, and I was able to capture this in the log.

Attachments

• Dashboard for Tesla - Smart Charging Log.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Informative
@SG57, anyway to implement a location based automatic behavior? If I'm at the gym I would like to preheat the car 5 minutes before I leave... Usually the same time everyday that I go, i just don't go everyday or know what day I am going to skip until that am when the alarm goes off;)

-

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200 and SG57
@SG57, anyway to implement a location based automatic behavior? If I'm at the gym I would like to preheat the car 5 minutes before I leave... Usually the same time everyday that I go, i just don't go everyday or know what day I am going to skip until that am when the alarm goes off;)

Climate keep automatically based on location would be great that way I can set it to automatically keep at the stores I travel to but not at home considering most of the time I forget to turn the climate keep on so I get back in the car and it's cold as balls

I would suggest you explain in better details on how this is useful to the community of users vs just your special case. Provide a few use cases.

@scottf200 , I can see how that may be misleading. I'll adjust accordingly, thanks for the heads up.

@kaczmarczyk & @Hacksaw , I have plans to expand upon the existing time-based automatic behavior condition with more conditions and a location-based condition is one of them. Other conditions planned are vehicle status and weather.

With all of these you can imagine we could do some unique things - like automatically close the sun roof if the sun roof is open, it's raining, and we're not in our home garage. I'll likely piggy back on the existing time-based condition (set time, or interval) so it's up to you to decide how often you want to essentially check-in on the vehicle state, or the location, or the weather.

Reactions: Hacksaw
@SG57, Thank You for the new update 2.0.14. I got a few issues...
1. I now have to select my only vehicle at every app start. The app forgets this.
2. In Climate view, the upper temps are shown in F while all other places show (as setup) in C.
No big deal but I thought I mention it.

P.S. Nr 1 is solved... I hit the star making my only car "My Favorite". :) Not an obvious thing to do...

Last edited:
@Waxinator , you're quick! 2.0.14 introduced a silly bug on the climate screen, what you're seeing is placeholder text. This is fixed, I'll release another update here in an hour with a few other improvements as well.

As for having to select your only vehicle at app start, I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you saying even after you've favorited your vehicle it doesn't automatically connect upon sign-in? The favorite button is the star button in the top-left of the vehicle card on the vehicle list screen. If you tap the star on a vehicle it will make that your favorite and automatically connect to it on sign in. If connection fails, it will not keep trying to connect so that may have also been what you experienced.

Reactions: scottf200
@hiroshiy , the latest app version, 2.0.17, has a few smart charging fixes plus a lot more smart charging logging details. Would you mind trying to reproduce your smart charging service errors while logging using the latest app version and sending me the log file? This time I should know exactly what's causing it if it isn't fixed already with this latest update.

As always, sensitive information is redacted from the log file.