Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nuts, I may be killing my battery. I *mostly* charge DCFC at the free CHAdeMO in town. But I also charge off my solar panels, and in order to not pull from the grid when I charge I plug into 120v and drop the amps to 12-14. Saving money on free charging and eating my 3yo battery alive...
Since I have such a hard time finding that info again, apparently it's a very minor effect, since no one really bothers to do studies or talk about it much. Most of the concern is with charging too fast, rather than too slow. And using 15 amps is still 3X faster than people who are trying to turn it down as low as it will go at 5A, so I wouldn't worry about that much.

I read somewhere
J. B. Straubel - Wikipedia

So would it be BETTER or WORSE for the battery to charge faster?

[Randy's patented off-topic follow-up]

The reason Tesla heats the battery up so much is to allow a higher charging rate, especially at higher SoC. If your battery is already hot (for L3 charging) - you want to get the charging done faster so the battery can 'race back' to the cooler state.

A gas pump moving 40L/min into a vehicle that uses 10L/100km would require you to supercharge a model 3 at 3.12MW to get the equivalent range.

Is that based on 33kw [sic] energy per gallon of gas? ICEs are only 30% thermally efficient so then are you talking .94 ish MW of equiv range?

Pretty sure pb2000 was just referring to the rate at which range is added to a vehicle during recharging or refueling. He's not trying to use the chemical kWh/gallon energy density of gasoline or factor in the thermal efficiency of gasoline engines.

With the numbers given (a 40L/min gas pump pumping gas into a car that has 10L/100km fuel efficiency), you'd be adding 400km of range per minute, or 24,000 km/hr. (40 l/min x 60 min/hr x 100km/10L)

If you assume a Model 3 adds range from a DC charger at a rate of 0.130 kWh/km, then you'd (hypothetically) need 3.12MW of charging power to add range at a comparable 24,000 km/hr. (3.12 MW x 1000 KW/MW / 0.13 kWh/km)

I wonder if this CCS combo would work on salvage Tesla cars who cannot use a Tesla Supercharger?

In fact, can a salvage Tesla cars use a CHAdeMO adapter?
Me too! I have a salvage tesla, I can not use supercharging but Chademo definitely works.

The way Tesla is treating salvage cars is to disable all DCFC. So, the answer to the latter is no and the former is probably also no.
That may have been true for the S and X, but for the model 3 I can confirm DCFC with the Chademo adapter works.

Me too! I have a salvage tesla, I can not use supercharging but Chademo definitely works.

That may have been true for the S and X, but for the model 3 I can confirm DCFC with the Chademo adapter works.

I thought I read in this or another forum that a person who did restore a salvaged MS found that he could not DCFC AT ALL - Tesla nor CHAdeMO. That would also mean no CCS if someone got this adapter...

I thought I read in this or another forum that a person who did restore a salvaged MS found that he could not DCFC AT ALL - Tesla nor CHAdeMO. That would also mean no CCS if someone got this adapter...

If the CCS adapter emulates Supercharging, then the adapter likely won't be of any use for salvage vehicles that have had Supercharging turned off. (I wouldn't think CHAdeMO emulation would work, as it would likely be limited to ~50kW as well.)

If the CCS adapter emulates Supercharging, then the adapter likely won't be of any use for salvage vehicles that have had Supercharging turned off. (I wouldn't think CHAdeMO emulation would work, as it would likely be limited to ~50kW as well.)

I believe the adapter emulates Chademo or whatever that mode of operation that is under the hood.

If you look at the test video you'll notice that you see amps and current. If you were supercharging you would not see those numbers.

Furthermore you can see the text for "supercharging" and fast dc charging are different in Korean when charging at a Supercharger and using the CCS adapter; the message is the same for CCS and chademo

(jump to 9:21)
(supercharging; fun fact 슈퍼차저 is literally Supercharger in Korean and pronounced like English but with a Korean intonation/accent)

(charging, ccs with adapter) (jump to 2:17)

(charging, chademo) (jump to 3:32)

That first setup gave me hope with the over 100kW of charging from the CCS thru those two adapter boxes. But I probably don't wanna bring a rolly cart to charge a bit faster than my CHAdeMO, and the full CCS adapter didn't seem to get much more than 63kWs. Not that I could tell what was going on. I turned on auto-translate to read what was being said, but something was WAY off:
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 2.35.24 PM.png

"It's good to squeeze the cucumbers"?

Interesting. I guess Tesla wants to suppress the 3rd party adapter in Korea. I hope they offer it in the US as well. If not, some enterprising soul will probably order one from Korea and hope Tesla hasn't locked it out in the US.

Anybody see and price comparisons?

Could Tesla see and lock out the use of the third party device in North America? Or is it transparent.

Anybody see and price comparisons?

Could Tesla see and lock out the use of the third party device in North America? Or is it transparent.
Good question. My guess is they *could* do a software update that would prevent charging at a CCS charger. But I don't know why they would do that. Why would they care? If I'm charging at a CCS charger, I'm not using a Tesla supercharger which leaves it open for somebody else.

They may want to lock out CCS chargers, if they believe there is a risk that they could somehow damage or degrade the battery.

How is the charging current and voltage managed if charging at a DC charger? I assume the car will stop charging if the input voltage is outside acceptable limits. Does the car limit the current, or does the car ask the charger to limit the current? Or some other scheme?

They may want to lock out CCS chargers, if they believe there is a risk that they could somehow damage or degrade the battery.

How is the charging current and voltage managed if charging at a DC charger? I assume the car will stop charging if the input voltage is outside acceptable limits. Does the car limit the current, or does the car ask the charger to limit the current? Or some other scheme?
Tesla makes the adapter, so I assume they're not worried about "somehow damage or degrade the battery."

Reactions: Rocky_H and SigNC