TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dear Australian Tesla owners: Please don’t do this.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LGGD, Jan 19, 2018.

1. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Sent to me by another (understandably) upset EV owner.

2AFCACE8-10B9-4DC8-BEB7-D1EFEB68D2F1.jpeg

Tesla parked in an EV charging only bay (not EV ‘parking’, it’s EV ‘charging’) and not even plugged in. I really hope this doesn’t become a ‘thing’. This kind of behaviour will quickly give Tesla owners a bad name in the EV owners community.

• Like x 6
  2. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

What a total DICK!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Hold on, hold on... That's a bit harsh to assume.

Maybe he's just a visiting American...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. houdini

houdini Member

Let’s not forget about the Porsche DICK Icing the other bay either.

• Disagree x 3
  5. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Huh? It’s plugged in.

• Like x 3
  6. houdini

houdini Member

Holy crap! Apologies it is. How the hell did i miss the fact Porsche had a plug in hybrid Cayenne in Australia.

• Like x 1
  7. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

It's already a thing. Just search for #T_HOLE and you'll see plenty of examples.

8. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Ha! Been available here since 2015. Also a PHEV Panamera.

9. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

Not in Australia it isn’t.

10. The Lorax

The Lorax Member

Yes...it’s auxiliary power for it’s onboard cigar lighter...

• Funny x 5
  11. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Everyone will recognize the Tesla by his license plate. Really bad form and honestly I think the motor vehicle laws should be changed so that cars should be subject to immediate towing for parking in EV charging spots and not charging. I see it as either laziness, feeling entitled or not giving a **** on the driver's part. Ticketing simply doesn't matter to those that have a lot of money or feel they can pass it off to their company to pay if they are in a hurry and can't find a parking spot.

Although how would you go about towing a Telsa pulled in like that?

12. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Four little wheel dollies that they use to get cars out of our carpark.

13. Vostok

Vostok Member

That seems a little... harsh. How could this be enforced in any kind of reasonable way?

If this was the law, plug-in owners would just plug in whether they needed to or not in order to avoid towing. And if they needed to actually be charging, what's the lowest threshold of charging time to avoid the full force of the law? 1 hour? 15 minutes? 1 minute? How much grace time does the owner get to return to their car after plugging in and charging is completed before they can be towed?

Everyone's charging circumstances and needs are different. If you feel offended seeing a situation like this, leave a gentle note on the windscreen as to what you don't like about it, and hope education and consideration for others will reduce the instances.

• Like x 1
  14. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I assume the towing company would take a photo of the Tesla above in a clearly marked EV charging stall and showing it's parked there and not charging. Any EV owner knows better than to block a charging spot. And signage should be clearer for non-EV drivers about parking there too.

Really treat the same way as someone parking in a handicap spot without a handicap plate or sign or parked in an emergency vehicle designated spot. Towing a car will get their attention and doubtful they will do again.

• Like x 1
  15. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

A very low percentage of Australian cars are BEV or PHEV at this time in history, the sort of "forgetfulness" as shown in the photo needs to be stamped out ASAP before the plug in vehicle numbers increase rapidly.

• Like x 1
  16. Puggle

Puggle Member

Come on man, at least plug in your Tesla and PRETEND to be charging. Poor form EASIL.

17. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Absolutely right! “I forgot to plug it in” won’t wash. I think it’s now established that being EASIL’d is even worse than being ICE’d.

• Like x 1
  18. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

19. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

I obviously need new glasses yes sorry Blue heaven ! BTW I don’t know about polite but certainly spot on with your description Ray :)

20. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I was at Balgowlah shopping centre the other day.
    They have two EV spots, with one Tesla charger.
    There was already a Tesla parked and charging. I didn't park in the other EV spot, because there was a J1772 charger and I didn't want to be an inconsiderate a**hole like the OP mentioned.
    I found a park and when I walked past the EV spots there was a second Model S parked in the other EV spot, not plugged in, and no one in the car.
    Imagine being a Leaf or i3 or Outlander PHEV driver and seeing that? We have to educate our Tesla brethren...

• Like x 1