Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Australian Tesla owners: Please don’t do this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LGGD

May 29, 2014
Gold Coast
Sent to me by another (understandably) upset EV owner.

2AFCACE8-10B9-4DC8-BEB7-D1EFEB68D2F1.jpeg

Tesla parked in an EV charging only bay (not EV ‘parking’, it’s EV ‘charging’) and not even plugged in. I really hope this doesn’t become a ‘thing’. This kind of behaviour will quickly give Tesla owners a bad name in the EV owners community.

View attachment 274513

Tesla parked in an EV charging only bay (not EV ‘parking’, it’s EV ‘charging’) and not even plugged in. I really hope this doesn’t become a ‘thing’. This kind of behaviour will quickly give Tesla owners a bad name in the EV owners community.
What a total DICK!

View attachment 274513

It's already a thing. Just search for #T_HOLE and you'll see plenty of examples.

Everyone will recognize the Tesla by his license plate. Really bad form and honestly I think the motor vehicle laws should be changed so that cars should be subject to immediate towing for parking in EV charging spots and not charging. I see it as either laziness, feeling entitled or not giving a **** on the driver's part. Ticketing simply doesn't matter to those that have a lot of money or feel they can pass it off to their company to pay if they are in a hurry and can't find a parking spot.

Although how would you go about towing a Telsa pulled in like that?

I think the motor vehicle laws should be changed so that cars should be subject to immediate towing for parking in EV charging spots and not charging
That seems a little... harsh. How could this be enforced in any kind of reasonable way?

If this was the law, plug-in owners would just plug in whether they needed to or not in order to avoid towing. And if they needed to actually be charging, what's the lowest threshold of charging time to avoid the full force of the law? 1 hour? 15 minutes? 1 minute? How much grace time does the owner get to return to their car after plugging in and charging is completed before they can be towed?

Everyone's charging circumstances and needs are different. If you feel offended seeing a situation like this, leave a gentle note on the windscreen as to what you don't like about it, and hope education and consideration for others will reduce the instances.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I assume the towing company would take a photo of the Tesla above in a clearly marked EV charging stall and showing it's parked there and not charging. Any EV owner knows better than to block a charging spot. And signage should be clearer for non-EV drivers about parking there too.

Really treat the same way as someone parking in a handicap spot without a handicap plate or sign or parked in an emergency vehicle designated spot. Towing a car will get their attention and doubtful they will do again.

Reactions: PeterK

View attachment 274513

Come on man, at least plug in your Tesla and PRETEND to be charging. Poor form EASIL.

I was at Balgowlah shopping centre the other day.
They have two EV spots, with one Tesla charger.
There was already a Tesla parked and charging. I didn't park in the other EV spot, because there was a J1772 charger and I didn't want to be an inconsiderate a**hole like the OP mentioned.
I found a park and when I walked past the EV spots there was a second Model S parked in the other EV spot, not plugged in, and no one in the car.
Imagine being a Leaf or i3 or Outlander PHEV driver and seeing that? We have to educate our Tesla brethren...

Reactions: powerfactor