Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my first 90% charge on 4.5, and its 239 rated miles right after is stopped charging. On 4.4, my car would charge to 242 rated miles for a standard charge most of the time. I baby my battery, and live in a climate with 85 F for the highs. Just thought I would share a reference point of going from 4.4 to 4.5.
ok, definitely something weird is going on, I'm down to 227 on a standard charge. This is happened just over the last few days. Anyone have any ideas? Should I call Tesla about this?

ok, definitely something weird is going on, I'm down to 227 on a standard charge. This is happened just over the last few days. Anyone have any ideas? Should I call Tesla about this?

From my survey data so far, your number is consistent with several other people, so I wouldn't worry about it. Please fill out my survey if you have not yet already done so.

Rated Range and Average Energy Tesla Model S Survey

Maybe with enough pressure on Tesla we can get a real answer to this question. And also what I would really like is a xx kWh readout.

1. Go for a joy ride of 100+ miles with the AC on full comfort (i.e. no venting, etc. to save juice).
2. Return home and park in your garage.
3. Plug in.
4. Wait 90 minutes.
5. In the car, reduce your amperage to 5A (if you're on 208+V) or 10A (if you're on 110V).
6. Let it finish charging.
7. Check every 7 minutes on your phone or in car until it says "Charge complete".
Sounds like a PITA, but I bet you'll see 230+ after doing this.

1. Go for a joy ride of 100+ miles with the AC on full comfort (i.e. no venting, etc. to save juice).
3. Plug in.
4. Wait 90 minutes.
5. In the car, reduce your amperage to 5A (if you're on 208+V) or 10A (if you're on 110V).
7. Check every 7 minutes on your phone or in car until it says "Charge complete".
Yes.

And, if you keep on charging using a 120V outlet(or 240V @ 6A), your battery will keep balancing itself better.

Bear in mind that the SOC display is an estimate, not a definitive measurement. SOC is actually quite difficult to measure. As I understand it (don't have inside knowledge of Tesla's algorithm), SOC is estimated in part by the response of the battery to charging. So the voltage and current supplied to the charger definitely matter. Temperature matters. There may be other variables. I have seen this with my Roadster. Sometimes the number is exactly the same charge after charge; sometimes it goes down; sometimes it goes up.

Also, bear in mind that true maximum capacity, and the point at which charging stops, are not the same thing. I suspect that Tesla messed with the latter under the covers when the new variable slider came out with 4.5. I do not just mean that the old Standard charge is not the same as the "detent" in the slider, but the details of the algorithm that tells the charger to shut down may have changed.

Like everyone else here, I sure wish JB would publish an updated blog on this, with clear details and unambiguous user guidance. I suspect Tesla is getting more protective about this stuff though, now that they know the majors are paying attention to the competitive threat they now represent.

In the end though, Tom Saxton's work has borne out Elon's repeated assurances that people will be pleasantly surprised at the longevity of the batteries in the long term.

Interesting. When I first got my car (april of this year), I did a Max Range charge on my car at 208V/30a for a PS trip. It got to 211 rated miles (SW v4.1). The trip back i did a Max charge on 110V/12A and got 211. This past Friday night, I did a Max charge on 240V/40amp (SW v 4.5) and it went to 208. I also noted a change in the standard charge, going from 190 (v4.1) down to 187 (v.4.5) to 185.

Ok looking forward to trying this tomorrow once I get the available range down a bit. Thanks for your help hopefully this will do the trick.
Overall though this is very odd behavior, it dropped very fast about 16 full miles now from what I'm used to getting in about a week I'd say. I've been gone for 10 days or so and the car was just standing. The milage started disappearing after I came back. Feels like it's all related somehow

3. Plug in.
4. Wait 90 minutes.

Interesting. When I first got my car (april of this year), I did a Max Range charge on my car at 208V/30a for a PS trip. It got to 211 rated miles (SW v4.1). The trip back i did a Max charge on 110V/12A and got 211. This past Friday night, I did a Max charge on 240V/40amp (SW v 4.5) and it went to 208. I also noted a change in the standard charge, going from 190 (v4.1) down to 187 (v.4.5) to 185.

A small variation like that does not imply that your battery capacity has actually dropped; it can vary significantly due to pack balance. The lowest string limits how far you can discharge the whole pack, and the strongest string limits how much you can charge the whole pack. Your pack tends to slowly get out of balance, and your battery management system is constantly trying to rebalance it.

Also, as Vger pointed out, the measurement of pack capacity is an estimate, and a lot of complexity goes into making that estimate. Having a highly accurate range estimate is part of Tesla's "secret sauce". But it isn't perfectly accurate, so "mileage may vary".

I just did my first 90% charge on 4.5, and its 239 rated miles right after is stopped charging. On 4.4, my car would charge to 242 rated miles for a standard charge most of the time. I baby my battery, and live in a climate with 85 F for the highs. Just thought I would share a reference point of going from 4.4 to 4.5.

qwk -

Are you sure your first charge on 4.5 was actually 90% and not more? Pre 4.5 my "standard mode" charge - which is actually 92-93% (not 90%) yielded 239 rated miles (242 rated miles pre 4.4 - they changed something there!!)...

I now keep the slider at the 90% tick mark and consistently get 232-233 miles at the end of the charge...

Aaron

qwk -

Are you sure your first charge on 4.5 was actually 90% and not more? Pre 4.5 my "standard mode" charge - which is actually 92-93% (not 90%) yielded 239 rated miles (242 rated miles pre 4.4 - they changed something there!!)...

I now keep the slider at the 90% tick mark and consistently get 232-233 miles at the end of the charge...

Aaron
Yes. 100% sure. When setting the sliding bar, it easily falls into place at the 90% daily setting. It doesn't do that at any other interval(so it's harder to get right on a certain percentage, except 50 and 100% of course). I knew I should have taken a pic. Next time...

Ok. The car just finished charging on my HPWC at 6amps. It took the whole night plus most of the afternoon today. However, my available range when fully charged now says 224! I'm now a full 20 miles down from what it used to display on a standard charge 10 days ago. Not sure what to do from here.

Ok. The car just finished charging on my HPWC at 6amps. It took the whole night plus most of the afternoon today. However, my available range when fully charged now says 224! I'm now a full 20 miles down from what it used to display on a standard charge 10 days ago. Not sure what to do from here.

Something is not adding up here. If you really were at 130 rated miles, and plugged it in last night(240V @ 6A) you wouldn't be done charging yet.

correct, I started with 113 in the "tank". Started charging at 60amps, then when there was about 1hr and 30mins left, i went and switched the display to 6amps.

From my understanding for it to make any difference you need to charge at 6 amps the entire time. You can't charge at 60 then drop it down for the last part of the charge.

The car was not plugged in while I was away but when I came back it still had over 150miles of available range showing. I have not called Tesla yet.

Akula, what was the soc while your car sat idle for 10 days? Also, have you called tesla for their input?

- - - Updated - - -

So I should drive it again, get it down to 130 or so and then plug it in for a few days essentially?

From my understanding for it to make any difference you need to charge at 6 amps the entire time. You can't charge at 60 then drop it down for the last part of the charge.