Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Since there is not any way yet to get a CAC value for a Model S, you might as well use a ouija board to see what your degredation is.

I have noticed that the percentage bar and rated range vary a bit(sometimes by as many as 10 miles of rated range at a certain percent value), for each charge. Point being that rated range is a complex calculation taking many variables into account. Unless the rated range drops substantially, deriving a degredation amount from it is impossible.

I use the API and range charge for my data collection. Your statement notwithstanding, I see absolutely no variation (to the hundredth of a kWh) from one day to the next, until the days when degradation occurs. I never see any variance in an upwards direction. For my last readings, charging completed at 257.38 for two days in a row, down from 272.80. Unsurprisingly, Tesla's techs' reading of my logs yield the same numbers as my data collection.

I gained 3 miles back on a standard charge! Yippie.

To battery balance my car, I did a full range charge last night on 110v and i got back a 3 mile increase on a subsequent standard charge of my 60kwh car. It has 9700 mi on the odo. I'm now at 185 mi instead of 182 mi on a standard charge using firmware 4.4

Interesting observations during the full range charge using 110v:

- the car topped off showing 199mi

- the car's charge port ring stopped blinking/pulsing when it reached 199mi but the car proceeded to continue to charge for over an hour. I presume the battery balancing was occurring during this time.

I'm absolutely thrilled that I now know how to rebalance my battery when std range starts declining over time.

Note that in order to more quickly do the full range charge I first did a standard charge on 40a 240v. Then, did a slow range charge using 110v plug

Curious. Is there a difference in lowering the AMPs to say 12 vs using a 110V plug?

I see absolutely no variation (to the hundredth of a kWh) from one day to the next, until the days when degradation occurs. I never see any variance in an upwards direction. For my last readings, charging completed at 257.38 for two days in a row, down from 272.80.

So, once your "full" charge drops by some amount, you NEVER achieve a charge that's greater than the low water mark... even if only slightly?

Well, at 4,300 miles last night, I ran my battery down to 0 rated range (purposely, as my YouTube viewers wanted to see what happens when you get low).
Since I got my car, my Standard charge has never gone over 190 miles. Well, today, after charging at 40 amps all night to replenish my battery for a long drive today, I came out to my car, about 4 hours AFTER it finished charging.
Low and behold, my Rated Range, even after 4 hours of Vampire losses, was 192!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems the car decided to balance the battery pack last night. All I can say is, awesomeness! My range is GOING UP over time instead of down! WOOO HOOOO!

I use the API and range charge for my data collection. Your statement notwithstanding, I see absolutely no variation (to the hundredth of a kWh) from one day to the next, until the days when degradation occurs. I never see any variance in an upwards direction. For my last readings, charging completed at 257.38 for two days in a row, down from 272.80. Unsurprisingly, Tesla's techs' reading of my logs yield the same numbers as my data collection.

While what you are doing is more accurate, correlating rated range(especially a loss that small) to capacity loss is probably not too accurate. While Tesla let's the techs download and read logs, they are mostly part swappers, and every single complex issue(all battery issues) are dealt with by engineering. Getting a concrete answer from Tesla about battery performance and functionality is about impossible. A good example of this is the battery balancing issue, and the multiple answers and silence.

How many rated miles did you start with when doing the 110v charge.

Odd that you topped off at 199 mi doing a full range charge. That's a number I've never seen or heard of before on a 60. On 4.4, I thought the bug in the firmware was that 197 would be the max rated miles displayed even when the battery was fully charged. The two or three times I range charged before installing 4.5, the car continued to charge for some period of time after hitting 197 rated miles, and then when I began driving I would normally drive for 10 or so miles before the rated miles would decline. I haven't done a range charge since installing 4.5 so don't know what the max rated miles will show, although I've read others getting numbers around 203-05.

I started this battery balance exercise by doing a std charge. I had 182 mi rated range after a standard charge on v4.4 using nema 14-50 @ 40a. In other words, in was a completely normal standard charge.

Then, I immediately began a "range" charge using 110v outlet (I unplugged nema and switched to 110v). During the range charge, it took many hours to get to 199mi from 182 starting point. It was charging at 3mi per hour. Yes, I was completely shocked to see 199 because previously I've only ever seen 197.

Once the range reached 199mi, the car continued to charge for over an hour and the charge port ring was solid green during this time. I concluded the battery was balancing during this time.

Once the range charge was done, I immediately took the car for a drive. Upon returning home, I had 172 rated range. Now it was time for the real test. I set the car to do a standard charge and plugged in using nema. To my amazement the car finished at 185mi. I'll do another standard charge today and see if I still get 185 instead of 182. I assume so.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious. Is there a difference in lowering the AMPs to say 12 vs using a 110V plug?

I assume that works also. Yes, I'd rather use this method to balance. Nothing to unplug from wall. However, for this first experiment, I figured a real 110v outlet was the best approach.

Originally Posted by mdh

I assume that works also. Yes, I'd rather use this method to balance. Nothing to unplug from wall. However, for this first experiment, I figured a real 110v outlet was the best approach.

Except that you would have to lower it to 6 amps to be the same! 12 A @120 = 6 A @ 240

Wondering... when does the S balance the batteries if you only do a "standard" charge and go with 40AMPs? Big mystery :)

I'm starting to question the collective wisdom that the Roadster never balances below a Standard charge.

Last night I charged to 54% (about 176km). The highest brick voltage was 3.84V and lowest brick voltage was 3.81V. After sitting overnight the SOC dropped to 51% (about 164km). The highest brick voltage dropped to 3.82V but the lowest brick voltage stayed at 3.81V.

The car seems to have bled off the highest bricks, even at 54% SOC. Also my balancing matrix has always been zeros despite regularly doing partial charges.

What does Tesla say about balancing batteries to "Restore" the loss of rated range on a charge?

On the Model S, nothing. :smile:

An unbalanced pack might show lower capacity but it's not actually degraded, rebalancing it will bring the miles back.

I'd avoid doing regular Range charges at 120V just to get the displayed miles up. Li-Ion batteries don't like to be at high SOC and high temperatures. The BMS aggressively cools the pack when doing a Range charge at 240V, but at 120V there isn't enough power to run the cooling so it lets the battery get hotter. This is the worst possible combination and probably not worth it just to get a higher number on your display.

I'd do a Range charge whenever you need one for a road trip and let the battery balance naturally. From what I can tell the Roadster continuously balances the pack and the Model S probably does the same.

While what you are doing is more accurate, correlating rated range(especially a loss that small) to capacity loss is probably not too accurate. While Tesla let's the techs download and read logs, they are mostly part swappers, and every single complex issue(all battery issues) are dealt with by engineering. Getting a concrete answer from Tesla about battery performance and functionality is about impossible. A good example of this is the battery balancing issue, and the multiple answers and silence.

Sorry, I meant "engineering" when I said "techs".

I agree with djp. Charging really slowly to a full range charge probably does more harm than good. And remember, you're not improving the capacity of your batteries--just the apparent capacity by having balanced cells. Overall, you're probably accelerating degredation by doing this.

Personally, I'm going to wait until we have clear official word from Tesla on pack balancing before doing anything. It's not like the few miles + or - of range here and there really makes a difference. You can make up for that just by driving more efficiently for a little bit if you're going to go near the limits of your pack.

Since Tesla hasn't said a word about this, I suspect the pack will automatically balance itself continuously over time--we just don't know when. But either way, slow range charges to get a few miles higher on the display is probably counterproductive.

What does Tesla say about balancing batteries to "Restore" the loss of rated range on a charge?

I'm relatively new to the forums, thanks in advance for sharing your institutional knowledge :)
It depends on who at Tesla you ask! The consensus is that for roadsters you charge the car in range mode, and let it sit plugged in for a few hours after the charge completes. Depending on how out of balance the pack is, it might require this to be done a few times. 120v charging seems to balance the pack a bit quicker.

As for the model S, the same might be true(too early to tell), but I have found that charging on 120V to a full standard charge(firmware 4.4 and earlier), helps to balance the pack.

To echo what everyone has been saying here, I've had my normal charge range reduced by 12 miles in the last 2 weeks. The car stops charging now once it hits 230miles, it used to stop at 242 or 243. Any idea what this is related to? I don't think it's mileage related, I only have 4300 miles on the car. This also happened rather fast so I don't think it is battery wear related. Maybe it's the heat we have been having in Chicago, it's been 100 almost every day for the past week. I'm still running 4.4 btw

To echo what everyone has been saying here, I've had my normal charge range reduced by 12 miles in the last 2 weeks. The car stops charging now once it hits 230miles, it used to stop at 242 or 243. Any idea what this is related to? I don't think it's mileage related, I only have 4300 miles on the car. This also happened rather fast so I don't think it is battery wear related. Maybe it's the heat we have been having in Chicago, it's been 100 almost every day for the past week. I'm still running 4.4 btw
My theory is that you ninja-updated to 4.5 (maybe during service?). Check your about box. Or maybe you updated the phone app and set it to 90% directly or indirectly that way.

I just did my first 90% charge on 4.5, and its 239 rated miles right after is stopped charging. On 4.4, my car would charge to 242 rated miles for a standard charge most of the time. I baby my battery, and live in a climate with 85 F for the highs. Just thought I would share a reference point of going from 4.4 to 4.5.