Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reporting my stats:

1 year and 6 months, 60 kWh A pack
80% (150 miles vs 166 miles original)...

Need the odometer reading too for this to mean anything.

- - - Updated - - -

My stats:
1 yr 8 months, 60 kWh A pack
90% 176 rated miles, range mode on

Odometer reading? Need to include that also.

[edit]
Here's some of y'alls reported data in a quick chart, someone can keep this on a spreadsheet and make pretty graphs if it helps.

It seems that there is a steeper decline at first that then levels out over time or over total distance travelled. Islands two packs have nearly equal ranges even though the odometer varies widely. The slopes seem to be the same no matter whether 100% or 90% charged. It's still more than twice the miles of any other electric car, OEM or DIY.
60kwh_charging.jpeg

Last edited:
And I am seeing 252 rated miles and 285 ideal miles. Any explanation for the discrepancy?

I really don't know, but we've had many threads and posts here confirming that ideal miles are the preferred metric for determining whether any degradation has occurred. I believe Tesla confirmed via email - someone posted it a long time ago - that while rated range has gone through several algorithm changes, ideal miles remain unchanged and is a simple straight line calculation of your battery's capacity divided by a fixed Wh/mi figure. I'm certainly not the expert on this, I'm simply reiterating what I've read here at TMC over the last year and how most have settled on ideal miles being the preferred metric.

- - - Updated - - -

Gear and Brianman, I do apologize for the tone of my post from a couple of days ago. I didn't realize how it came off until I just re-read it. I was in a frazzled state of mind over several transactions that day and I'm sorry that it carried over into my post. I'm just trying to help and we are all here to share and absorb information. I didn't mean for my response to be aggressive like it was. My Tesla cap is in my hand.

Mike: See what numbers you get with rated and ideal when you turn range on and off. I'm curious how linear the relationship between rated and ideal is. I always thought ideal was just the rated figure multiplied by a constant, that is, until I read Amped's note.

Okay, so here's what I'm seeing:

First off, I have resumed charging to 90% daily (from 70%) and am seeing 1 Rated mile per week increase. I've gone from 215 to 218 over the past 3 weeks or so.

I tried the Range Mode trick and saw 222 Rated Miles in Range and 218 Rated Miles in Normal mode at 90% SOC. I flipped over to Ideal and saw 251 Ideal Miles in Range mode and 248 Ideal Miles in Normal mode at 90% SOC.

Okay, so here's what I'm seeing:

First off, I have resumed charging to 90% daily (from 70%) and am seeing 1 Rated mile per week increase. I've gone from 215 to 218 over the past 3 weeks or so.

I tried the Range Mode trick and saw 222 Rated Miles in Range and 218 Rated Miles in Normal mode at 90% SOC. I flipped over to Ideal and saw 251 Ideal Miles in Range mode and 248 Ideal Miles in Normal mode at 90% SOC.

I think you might see a big change with 1.67.28 version of 6.0. I did. I went from 208-210 rated miles @ 90% to 237.

I think you might see a big change with 1.67.28 version of 6.0. I did. I went from 208-210 rated miles @ 90% to 237.
I wouldn't get too excited re jump. I experienced that with an update recently, rated went to about 272. Then it settled down to about 262. All @ 100% on p85 a pack. Also saw it go to 274 with .28 downloaded this am. I expect it will ebb like last time to 260s which is fine. Best hypothesis is that algorithm was reset to factory values and relearns you battery over a few charges.

i picked up my car at the end of august - it is an inventory car with 6500 miles. In the DC it showed 90% charge and 240 rated miles. When I got home the next day and charged it to 90%, it showed 237. It has slowly dropped and now at almost 11k miles and 1.5 months later, it shows 231. For an 80% charge (which is what I usually do) it shows 207. Is this normal?

i picked up my car at the end of august - it is an inventory car with 6500 miles. In the DC it showed 90% charge and 240 rated miles. When I got home the next day and charged it to 90%, it showed 237. It has slowly dropped and now at almost 11k miles and 1.5 months later, it shows 231. For an 80% charge (which is what I usually do) it shows 207. Is this normal?

1) Welcome!
2) This forum is a treasure. If you take the time to read back a few pages, you will see the answers to your question. If you've read perhaps 100 posts back and still have questions/concerns, I'd be happy to do chapter and verse if you send me PM.

So, the range mystery continues. On 5.9/6.0, I had 252 rated miles at full charge on my refurbished A. The new 6.0 update got pushed last night and my overnight charging range charged even though my slider was at 90%. I got 260 miles at 99%. I drove for 2 miles and came back in. My 99% rated range went down to 240 while parked. I drove 2 miles and rebooted. 238. My degradation in rated range has gone from 3% per year to 5%. Note my car only has 9k miles so over 1% range loss per 1000 miles. At 100k miles, I'll be flintstoning this car. Love the car but not loving this decay rate if it is real.

Tesla really needs to tell customers about software changes that affect range and provide us direct access to SOC/battery data for our cars. I will have to call service about this new loss. It's 12 miles of loss in 1 day.

Last edited:
I saw the same thing as badgerlake at first (rated miles shot up @ 90% SoC after new 6.0 upgrade), and now I see the same thing as mknox (rated miles slightly lower than previously @ 90% SoC)
I really don't think you can consider @mknox change as even slightly lower. 1 mi is right on. I often vary 1 or 2 miles at charge completion.

I guess I am starting to see some degradation. Just completed a 5500 mile trip from Fl to Ma and back over 1 1/2 months. We now have about 38k miles on the car. Cant get 90% over 176 and 100% is now at 198 at best. Some other interesting facts, if I can keep my Wh/mi between 290-300 I get just about 1-1 miles vs rated. For most of my trip that was no problem. Most of the time I was able to travel highway speed 70 mph. In South Florida 70 mph generally uses 310-330 wh/mi but up north we were easily getting 70mph at or under 300. The temps were lower but we had to deal with mountains and hills. Just thought it strange as the last leg of the trip used 333 at 70mph from Tampa to Coral Springs. That is a problem when you are only charging about 110% of what you need to get to the next stop. BTW, be sure to check Google Maps for your route. We charged the car to 165 for a 143 Mile trip to PSL across Rt 60 to the Fl Turnpike. 22 miles out, we ran into a 13 mile detour that required that I go back to the SC, recharge the car and go a different route. That could have been a disaster going the other way with little charging options around.