Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I am starting to see some degradation. Just completed a 5500 mile trip from Fl to Ma and back over 1 1/2 months. We now have about 38k miles on the car. Cant get 90% over 176 and 100% is now at 198 at best. Some other interesting facts, if I can keep my Wh/mi between 290-300 I get just about 1-1 miles vs rated. For most of my trip that was no problem. Most of the time I was able to travel highway speed 70 mph. In South Florida 70 mph generally uses 310-330 wh/mi but up north we were easily getting 70mph at or under 300. The temps were lower but we had to deal with mountains and hills. Just thought it strange as the last leg of the trip used 333 at 70mph from Tampa to Coral Springs. That is a problem when you are only charging about 110% of what you need to get to the next stop. BTW, be sure to check Google Maps for your route. We charged the car to 165 for a 143 Mile trip to PSL across Rt 60 to the Fl Turnpike. 22 miles out, we ran into a 13 mile detour that required that I go back to the SC, recharge the car and go a different route. That could have been a disaster going the other way with little charging options around.

yep, I get exactly the same Rated Range as you. 176mi at 90% and 198mi at 100%. I just turned 40k mi on ODO.

Well considering I was at 183 at 90% and 203 at 100% when new then it is about 3% loss over the time and miles. If it was a static number then I would expect around 171 at 90% and 193 at 100% in the next 18 months. But it is probably a compound factor so then the numbers would be around 168 at 90% and 190 at 100%. Continuing from there at around 100k miles compounding the numbers may be 160 at 90% and 182 at 100% if there is a linear 4% compound loss over time. That would be an acceptable situation to drive the car for 4 years at 25000 per year and only lose 20 miles of maximum range. I could live with that. If someone wants to check my math it would be appreciated.

Your math is ok but your assumptions are off. If you listen to what roadster owners and early S owners are saying, loss is not linear - much less compound! There's some loss in first year for most, but it slows after that. Read up! If your assumptions were correct, the roadsters would be leafs by now.

What leads you to this conclusion?

Just guess, that as something degrades or depreciates, it would do so as a factor of the current state (compounding) vs a linear reduction based on the original state. Again, it is just a guess as to how things typically happen in nature. But if at 100,000 miles I have only lost about 15 miles of range, it is not a big deal the car will still have a lot of value to me.

Compound factors are an accelerant for growth and and a restraint on contraction. So, if something declines 10% annually from a starting point of 100 then it's reduced by 10. A 10% decline from there (90) is a reduction 9, etc.

This is assuming a constant percentage of contraction which has been demonstrated to be inaccurate when applied to the battery pack (i.e., past degradation rate does not indicate future degradation rate).

Okay, so here's what I'm seeing:

First off, I have resumed charging to 90% daily (from 70%) and am seeing 1 Rated mile per week increase. I've gone from 215 to 218 over the past 3 weeks or so.

Thought I would try this out as well and am seeing similar results on my S85 with a B pack. Originally charged to 90% as Tesla advised, then backed down to operate in the 60~75% range as well as hold charge level at 60% during my 1 and 2-week business trips. Using this approach, I saw the rated range begin to drop, but didn't do any 100% charges to check max full. After reading the posts here, I went back to 90% charges and saw rated range increase from 225 to 228 today (also over 3 week period). Not very scientific without the max charge and ideal range data as well, but some change observed.

This is a really, really large thread with a HUGE amount of information. Would it not be beneficial to have a Googly Document to record everyone's mileage/current range/last time range charged/how often rang charged/climate/etc???

I think this is a fabulous idea (maybe one that's been brought up before) but I loved that document in the thread about deliveries, really gives you an appreciation of all the aggregate information. Tesla has all our numbers, but it would be nice to take a step back and see everyone's numbers that aren't buried in piles of pages of threads. I can figure out how to start this Doc if you guys like. I would or someone could also add a section to update their current range, going forward.

This is a really, really large thread with a HUGE amount of information. Would it not be beneficial to have a Googly Document to record everyone's mileage/current range/last time range charged/how often rang charged/climate/etc???

I think this is a fabulous idea (maybe one that's been brought up before) but I loved that document in the thread about deliveries, really gives you an appreciation of all the aggregate information. Tesla has all our numbers, but it would be nice to take a step back and see everyone's numbers that aren't buried in piles of pages of threads. I can figure out how to start this Doc if you guys like. I would or someone could also add a section to update their current range, going forward.
This exists but never got traction. Requires a curator- someone who harvests the posts here and updates table. Kind of like the lifetime wh/mi thread.

yep, I get exactly the same Rated Range as you. 176mi at 90% and 198mi at 100%. I just turned 40k mi on ODO.

Did you guys see this decrease early on? I have a 6/2014 build, 60kWh, which started at 213 @100% and 191 @90%, but now I am getting consistently 177-179 @90% and 197-199 @100%. I just crossed 8K miles. If I still get this same range 2 years from now when I am at 40,000 miles I will be happy - but I am kind of worried as it has decelerated pretty fast.

I get the same numbers as you. A full charge on 120V overnight at a hotel a few months ago got me 200 mi.

90% gets me 179 right after charge is finished, 177 by the time I drive in the morning.

18k miles. When it was new I saw 206 once ...