Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You never know....Tesla might introduce a feature for the 2024 models...they have a habit of introducing new stuff unannounced.

Also, once I get my VIN and if it's a 2023, would you be willing to trade places with me so I can get a 2024 VIN if you didn't have it yet?
Why? You’ll never be happy if you’re always chasing the next model year. Highly doubt any changes to the 2024 will be impactful as it just had a refresh in 2021. People say “resale value”, unless you plan to sell it next year 23/24 has very little baring on resale value in 4+ years. Mileage and time left on warranty matters most if in a few years.

Why? You’ll never be happy if you’re always chasing the next model year. Highly doubt any changes to the 2024 will be impactful as it just had a refresh in 2021. People say “resale value”, unless you plan to sell it next year 23/24 has very little baring on resale value in 4+ years. Mileage and time left on warranty matters most if in a few years.
I don't tend to keep cars for long myself. I'm not planning on keeping the Model X for more than 3 years, so the model year does matter somewhat to me. Everyone else might have a different perspective.

Based on my reading, the 2024 (maybe in a couple months) might have the LED strip ambient lighting, given that it's already on the Model 3 Highland. The connectors for the ambient lighting are already wired in the Model X, but not used.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Can’t believe I had to block someone on a forum like this. That Mathnerd guy has to be right and is annoying to a special level. Don’t feed the troll.

I've never said I was right. I've even admitted instances where I was wrong regarding the tax credit. I'm offering my perspective and you're free to ignore me. I don't mind.

If you're that triggered about my responses, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe grow thicker skin? Or realize not everyone has to have the same perspective as you?

Last edited:
You never know....Tesla might introduce a feature for the 2024 models...they have a habit of introducing new stuff unannounced.

Also, once I get my VIN and if it's a 2023, would you be willing to trade places with me so I can get a 2024 VIN if you didn't have it yet?

Tesla doesn't tend to align new features to new years as reflected in the VIN. As you said - they introduce new stuff unannounced - on a regular rolling basis. Getting a 2024 VIN is not any sort of indicator the car will have any new or changed feature. Will Tesla add new features and make changes in the future? Absolutely! Will those features be tied to a model year? Almost never.

Tesla is not like other car manufacturers. Traditional manufacturers use model year cut over points as place to make changes and introduce features - they retool lines and such. Tesla does not do this, they continuously make changes.

On the value side, it's funny because pre-Raven Model X's - 2018s are actually worth slightly less than 2017s with the same mileage (according to KBB...which, take with a grain of salt) but honestly, just don't worry. There will always be new features, a 2024 VIN is not going to mean you get new features, nor will it mean you have a higher resale value.

Yes, I would trade places with you - because it literally doesn't matter at all.

Tesla doesn't tend to align new features to new years as reflected in the VIN. As you said - they introduce new stuff unannounced - on a regular rolling basis. Getting a 2024 VIN is not any sort of indicator the car will have any new or changed feature. Will Tesla add new features and make changes in the future? Absolutely! Will those features be tied to a model year? Almost never.

Tesla is not like other car manufacturers. Traditional manufacturers use model year cut over points as place to make changes and introduce features - they retool lines and such. Tesla does not do this, they continuously make changes.

On the value side, it's funny because pre-Raven Model X's - 2018s are actually worth slightly less than 2017s with the same mileage (according to KBB...which, take with a grain of salt) but honestly, just don't worry. There will always be new features, a 2024 VIN is not going to mean you get new features, nor will it mean you have a higher resale value.

Yes, I would trade places with you - because it literally doesn't matter at all.
Facts. People are so hung up on new model year but have no idea why it would be better. Once you get that MX all of it doesn’t matter and it’s amazing.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Exactly. I'd like one person that is hoping for a 2024 to explain *why* they want a 2024? The tangible benefit it provides would be great to hear. Maybe I'm missing something!

Maybe there’s no tangible benefit but it makes me mentally feel better about it lol. I’m sure for some others they’ll feel the same way as well. I’m not the only one hoping for a 2024 model.

Although I won’t be upset if I got a 2023, but I would prefer a 2024 just for newness sake, especially if they cost the same.

Last edited:
Maybe there’s no tangible benefit but it makes me mentally feel better about it lol. I’m sure for some others they’ll feel the same way as well. I’m not the only one hoping for a 2024 model.

Although I won’t be upset if I got a 2023, but I would prefer a 2024 just for newness sake.
I see. Is it because a later model year in traditional cars usually means better?

I don't think either side will really convince the other side on this. It's one of those things that's probably more emotional.

The way I look at it for myself is that if you get a late 2023, then when it comes to resale, your vehicle will probably be on the the side of lower mileage for that year compared to another 2023 Tesla that was delivered in Nov 2022

If you get a Nov 2024, well then it's 2024.

I know for myself, when I look at purchasing a used vehicle, I consider both year and mileage together (assuming same design/build).

Reactions: MXSD and Solidred
I see. Is it because a later model year in traditional cars usually means better?

Quite possibly so. However, even in other non-Tesla manufacturers, they carry over model years without any changes at all. It's really just preference. If there were absolutely no changes to any features or design, and no difference in cost, I would prefer a newer model year regardless.

That's why in non-Tesla manufacturers, even with 2023 carryover into 2024 like the Lexus RX, or the Acura MDX, there's a huge discount on the 2023 models to 'clear them out' for the new models even if there weren't any changes made in those model years.

I think part of me also has some fear that in 2024, Tesla will drop the price of the Model X some more, and I would somehow feel better having a 2024 Model X over the 2023 Model X for perception sake because I feel better that at least I got a 2024 model year, even if it wasn't anything really tangible.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Quite possibly so. However, even in other non-Tesla manufacturers, they carry over model years without any changes at all. It's really just preference. If there were absolutely no changes to any features or design, and no difference in cost, I would prefer a newer model year regardless.

That's why in non-Tesla manufacturers, even with 2023 carryover into 2024 like the Lexus RX, or the Acura MDX, there's a huge discount on the 2023 models to 'clear them out' for the new models even if there weren't any changes made in those model years.

I think part of me also has some fear that in 2024, Tesla will drop the price of the Model X some more, and I would somehow feel better having a 2024 Model X over the 2023 Model X.
The perception of older vs newer even though both vehicles are new

I agree. Don’t get too hung up with the Model year or little upgrade if you are ordering a Tesla. First, it will drive you crazy. Second, you can actually come up short if you wait. Tesla is very well known for adding little upgrade at anytime. But, sometimes, they also downgraded/subtracted features and hardware. So, instead of getting 2024 build with more features, you may actually get one with less features. Active spoiler, USS, key fobs, charging cable are some of the things that they already took out from X. There might be more that I couldn’t remember. Heck, they don’t even give floor mats anymore for 3 and Y. And the same person who keep saying they want to wait maybe the same one who complains later. The point is, pick up your X when you get it and enjoy it.

I think part of me also has some fear that in 2024, Tesla will drop the price of the Model X some more, and I would somehow feel better having a 2024 Model X over the 2023 Model X for perception sake because I feel better that at least I got a 2024 model year, even if it wasn't anything really tangible.
Is this your first Tesla? People who never own Tesla usually think like this. The longer you own one and the more Tesla you have, I think you will realize that Tesla is NOT like the other car manufacturers (for better or worse)

Is this your first Tesla? People who never own Tesla usually think like this. The longer you own one and the more Tesla you have, I think you will realize that Tesla is NOT like the other car manufacturers (for better or worse)

It's the first Tesla for me, but not for my family (my dad owns a Model Y.) I've driven the Model Y quite a few times when I visited. It's NOT my first EV, as I've owned a Mach E GT that my wife totaled last year.

I was a little wary about Tesla because he bought it in January of this year during the first big price drop on the Model Y, and now it has decreased $5500 in MSRP since then. I took the plunge this time because of a huge price drop on the Model X and I wanted to take advantage of the tax credit before year's end.