Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know everyone has their own needs and preferences. 0-60 is less important to me at 45 then ride quality and comfort. The X is a fantastic car but after testing both cars the Q8 just felt like a better option for my personal needs.
Agreed. As nicely featured Tesla Model X has, it does have quite a bit of shortcomings which can sour the ownership experience. The squeaks/creaks/rattles, highway noise , service appointment delays, trim issues, panel gaps, etc does not put it in the same tier as the other luxury brands, at least in terms of quietness of the cabin, luxury, and build quality. Some people prefer quietness of the cabin over other things.

Also, with the Tesla Model X, be prepared to change tires quite more often than the other luxury brands, often costing at least $1200 per set.

Some people don't need blistering fast speeds, or crazy amounts of hp. After all, there are speed limits on there, and even 185hp vehicles can still go past 90 mph.

Agreed. As nicely featured Tesla Model X has, it does have quite a bit of shortcomings which can sour the ownership experience. The squeaks/creaks/rattles, highway noise , service appointment delays, trim issues, panel gaps, etc does not put it in the same tier as the other luxury brands, at least in terms of quietness of the cabin, luxury, and build quality. Some people prefer quietness of the cabin over other things.

Also, with the Tesla Model X, be prepared to change tires quite more often than the other luxury brands, often costing at least $1200 per set.

Some people don't need blistering fast speeds, or crazy amounts of hp. After all, there are speed limits on there, and even 185hp vehicles can still go past 90 mph.
Please share where you’re finding tires for $1200 a set.

If that’s installed price I can drive like a banshee again and take it off “chill”. 😅

When I can find them in stock, I’m paying $1800-2000 a set, once a year. 😬

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I got a schedule delivery notification today. Original ETA was 10/3-10/9 in NJ. Signed in the account to schedule and the only date available is 9/30… last day of September. No other day offered. I don’t mind bc the timing works out as long as my Y is sold this week, and my loan is approved…. but c’mon give me some options. I don’t care about your quarterly sales figures. What if there is a hiccup somewhere???

I got a schedule delivery notification today. Original ETA was 10/3-10/9 in NJ. Signed in the account to schedule and the only date available is 9/30… last day of September. No other day offered. I don’t mind bc the timing works out as long as my Y is sold this week, and my loan is approved…. but c’mon give me some options. I don’t care about your quarterly sales figures. What if there is a hiccup somewhere???
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Delivery window was 10/2-10/9 but then got the schedule your delivery and 9/30 was the only option.

But to be fair, issues with Tesla's are often continuously perpetuated and over exaggerated based on years old builds that are not the same as newer builds. Model 3 panel gaps of 2017/2018 are not the same as 2023 builds. Nobody looks harder at their vehicles than prospective Tesla owners and I would argue they NEVER looked at their previous vehicle this way becuase there wasn't exaggerated headlines burned in their brains.

Not saying there aren't any issues, just that they aren't as rampant as forums may suggest....Internet 101, users go out of their way to bitch much more frequently than they'll ever praise. Ever look at Amazon reviews? This is why you don't see the bulk of users with ZERO issues and just don't bother to report their flawless vehicles.

I have never been an older S/X fan becuase at their price point then I didn't find the interior, options and materials on par, but much has changed in 2023, and ordered one after a single test drive after the price drops.

But show me an EV SUV competitor with a current overall better package at effectively the low $70k range as offered in the base 5-seater X of 2023.... I recently drove the Cadillac Lyriq, Fisker Ocean, Polestar 2 (and checked out the PS3), none come close as a full package of tech, performance, range, charging, OTA updates, driver aids, etc.

What I do agree with and have learned in my years (5+) as a Tesla owner is that there is ZERO advantage to be an early model adopter becuase they all only get better and cheaper years down the road. To be salty NOW over a price you felt was competitive and fair at the time of purchase is just silly IMO.

But to be fair, issues with Tesla's are often continuously perpetuated and over exaggerated based on years old builds that are not the same as newer builds. Model 3 panel gaps of 2017/2018 are not the same as 2023 builds. Nobody looks harder at their vehicles than prospective Tesla owners and I would argue they NEVER looked at their previous vehicle this way becuase there wasn't exaggerated headlines burned in their brains.

Not saying there aren't any issues, just that they aren't as rampant as forums may suggest....Internet 101, users go out of their way to bitch much more frequently than they'll ever praise. Ever look at Amazon reviews? This is why you don't see the bulk of users with ZERO issues and just don't bother to report their flawless vehicles.

I have never been an older S/X fan becuase at their price point then I didn't find the interior, options and materials on par, but much has changed in 2023, and ordered one after a single test drive after the price drops.

But show me an EV SUV competitor with a current overall better package at effectively the low $70k range as offered in the base 5-seater X of 2023.... I recently drove the Cadillac Lyriq, Fisker Ocean, Polestar 2 (and checked out the PS3), none come close as a full package of tech, performance, range, charging, OTA updates, driver aids, etc.

What I do agree with and have learned in my years (5+) as a Tesla owner is that there is ZERO advantage to be an early model adopter becuase they all only get better and cheaper years down the road. To be salty NOW over a price you felt was competitive and fair at the time of purchase is just silly IMO.
I own a 2023 Model Y and there’s a lot of wind noise in the back rear passenger side. The interior quality felt that it were cheaper materials. The cupholders in the Model X felt very cheap and flimsy, at least compared to other brands. Even the carpets felt thin and cheap. The wind noise in my Model Y was way worse than any Acura/Lexus/Benz I've ever owned. I currently also own a 2022 Acura MDX and it felt way nicer interior wise than the Model X.

As a car, it's great and has a lot of features, but as a true luxury vehicle, I find that it falls short.

Again, I test drove the 2023 Model X, and it had more rattles and creaks while driving than my 2023 Model Y.

Nevertheless, I still put an order for a Model X since I want to get into the EV market, but I am contemplating cancelling and going for a BMW iX or a MB EQE/EQS SUV.

I got my schedule delivery notification today. Only option offered was 9/30.

Located in NY.
MXLR, White/Black “poverty” spec lol
My 3rd EDD was 10/3-10/11
Delivery scheduled for 9/30.
Yay!

It’s funny, I went to test drive a MX for a 2nd time yesterday just to go look at all the colors because I was freaking out about my white exterior color choice. I think it will look great esp after I put the bigger rims on and do a satin PPF over the paint.

I got my schedule delivery notification today. Only option offered was 9/30.

Located in NY.
MXLR, White/Black “poverty” spec lol
My 3rd EDD was 10/3-10/11
Delivery scheduled for 9/30.
Yay!

It’s funny, I went to test drive a MX for a 2nd time yesterday just to go look at all the colors because I was freaking out about my white exterior color choice. I think it will look great esp after I put the bigger rims on and do a satin PPF over the paint.
Q3 push to pad the numbers...good luck.

That's basically the only time I wouldn't want to take delivery of a Tesla.... Last week of any quarter the place will be a zoo and it would just make me nervous knowing they are paying even less attention to QC and service.🤞

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl

Exactly. I have a 2020 3 that has a sunken door handle, panel gaps,, the doors feel like tin cans, and her ball joints have been replaced once, and are squeaking again,, but 39,000 miles later, and it’s still going strong. My 2022 Y had perfect door handles, no squeaks, no panel gaps or misalignments, and a perfect paint job, but yet had a rear drive unit replaced,, had to have the ECU changed because the tow lighting just wouldn’t work, among other things.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but Tesla has the youtube trove who are going to pump out stupid ass videos with headlines of “My new $100k Tesla has this wrong??” and make you sit through. ten minutes of crap, just to say that a carpet mat was velcroed wrong when they did the delivery detail.

No car is going to be perfect,, even $200k luxury models get bought back as lemons all the time.

Exactly. I have a 2020 3 that has a sunken door handle, panel gaps,, the doors feel like tin cans, and her ball joints have been replaced once, and are squeaking again,, but 39,000 miles later, and it’s still going strong. My 2022 Y had perfect door handles, no squeaks, no panel gaps or misalignments, and a perfect paint job, but yet had a rear drive unit replaced,, had to have the ECU changed because the tow lighting just wouldn’t work, among other things.

Nothing is going to be perfect, but Tesla has the youtube trove who are going to pump out stupid ass videos with headlines of “My new $100k Tesla has this wrong??” and make you sit through. ten minutes of crap, just to say that a carpet mat was velcroed wrong when they did the delivery detail.

No car is going to be perfect,, even $200k luxury models get bought back as lemons all the time.
I bet that percentage wise, all these luxury brands experience less complaints and service calls regarding panel gaps, trim issues, and wind noise/highway noise, creaks/and rattles compared to Tesla though.

If I spent $80k on a vehicle, it better be great build quality, and have excellent QC.

I guess what's leaving a sour taste in the mouth is that it is clear that Tesla IMO is nickel and diming everything- it costs probably several extra dollars to make the cup holders not feel flimsy, or the carpets better, but yet, choose to make them as cheaply as possible. It doesn't cost much to add back USS, which was working well as parking sensors and for the FWD or a front bumper camera, but they choose not to because they want to cut costs, even if it only cost them a hundred or two.

Last edited:
The other luxury brands like BMW, MB do experience higher complaints regarding reliability issues with their engine, infotainment etc . The redesigned X7 has been plagued with drivetrain and brake booster issues.
Yes, well the engine and drivetrain issues will be pretty much gone once they convert all their lineup to EV.

However, we were discussing the build quality/materials quality and quality control of the cars at $80k+ price range, not reliability. They're not the same.

Tesla is rated by CR as lower than average reliability anyhow.

Last edited:
Update, I took delivery a few days ago. I’m very happy overal, the car is in very good condition. FSD transfer went smoothly and doesn’t even require a signature. I owned a 2022 model X for six months, and this one is much better built with several small improvements.
You owned a 2022 for 6 months and traded it in for another X? I’m curious how much you bought the 2022 for. Must have been a huge hit on loss of equities.

• Funny
Reactions: uberAsian