Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been pushing off the trade in thing in the app (finally did it), and making my 'final payment' because the EDD is so far off (60 days).

I still have no VIN. Does offering them money increase my chances of getting a VIN?

81 days until 12/31/23. then tax credit goes... POOF. Or stays the same, or changes!

something might go down sometime, somewhere, somehow. SO LOOK SHARP.
It looks like the tax credit might change to the time of delivery, rather than having to file the paperwork and wait.

I know what you mean. Sometimes when you sell it too easily, you get seller’s regret/doubt. Haha
Whenever I'm already on the fence about selling a car, boat, jet ski, etc.
Then someone offers what I'm asking... I think... damn... I wish I'd have kept that car/boat/etc.

Which, would have resulted in me not selling like 8 sea-doos, a 1990 Chris Craft 245 that I LOVED, even my 1995 rare 2 door Tahoe. Or my 2009 that worked just fine. Or any of my 3 wranglers. Well, no, I'd have preferred not to have bought that first one with the 4 banger. that was crap.

Model taX LR, Ultra Red, Houston
Ordered 9/4
EDD 1: Sep-Oct
EDD2: Oct-Nov
EDD3: October 3 - Nov 7th
EDD4: October 12-Nov 23 (9/20)
EDD5: October 8-29 (10/2)
Vin Assigned 10/4, 2023 4175xx
Estimated Delivery Oct 16-23

Horrible timing since I’m out of town for work all but two of those days. Hopefully can take delivery in my narrow window.

Ready for Delivery Text: 10/12
Delivery window: The exact days when I'm out of town for work. Starting the day after I leave and ending the day I get back (can't get home any earlier)

I assume they are around the same price, how did the payment get down to half —just extra lease incentives from Audi? Might need to take a look while I’m idly waiting VIN assignment 😂

Were you shopping any alternatives? I see various ads for $799/mo BMW iX

I had already placed the order for the MXP (I don't qualify for the tax credits), but then started re-thinking it because we anyways are going to buy a large/barge, 3-row SUV in the next 18 months. So, started targeting vehicles that had good lease structures. We shopped the iX, Q8 and EQS. I already had hacked a lease an EQS SUV in April (~$600/mo, $0 due at signing) so familiar w/that car and wasn't interested unless it was a sick deal. I gifted that EQS to my parents in the summer.

Q8 etron landed at $675/mo, $0 down, 24 months/10k mi/yr. $82k sticker.
My MXP balloon would be around $1200 at a 5.25% rate. I don't believe in buying EVs, too much risk in landing upside down as we've seen.

iX is hackable at around $900/mo. It's a better car than the etron, but at that point, I'd rather have an MXP for a few hundred more.

I can't find a ton of info, but it looks like the 2024 Q8 E-tron lease payment is $962/mon with $2k due at signing (probably doesn't include all fees) for 36 mon @ 12k mi/yr. Assuming you buy poverty spec MX, the out the door price (assuming MD sales tax of 6% and $7500 credit) is $77,194. Putting the same $2k down and going with a 60 month loan at 5.04% APR (Navy Fed CU) would give you a payment of $1420 a month for the MX, and you'd owe $32.3k on the loan at the end of 3 years.

Given that you're paying an additional $458/month with the MX loan, you've sunk an additional $16.5k into the purchase over the same 3 years compared to the lease, leaving you with an apples-to-apples balance on the MX of $48.8k. As long as you can sell it after 3 years for more than that (which shouldn't be difficult given it'd still be under warranty and have <36k miles), you're coming out ahead of the Q8 lease in every way other than time value of money. A loan also gives you much more freedom if you decide you need to move on. I've read about similar deals with BMW and Lucid, offering $799/mo leases, but those are typically with much more money down, so overall I think the equation would be about the same.

It's comparisons like the above that have always steered me away from leases, even when the deals do seem very tempting.
iX/EQS/Q8 are selling so poorly recently that dealers are willing to do 10% off MSRP easily, plus the captives are passing on the $7500 credit which benefits folks like me who don't qualify otherwise. Plus, there's add'l mfr cash, Costco, Penfed etc. On the Q8, for example, $14750 is easily off as incentives. Then, you couple that with the dealer's starting to get desparate, and they land as good deals for leasing.

I don't want to purchase an EV ever again until the market/tech matures futher.

• Informative
Reactions: Neon001
Sorry, 3 posts in a row...
Got delivery scheduling text today. Does Tesla allow transfering the "order" to another person? I got in at $1k referral discount + $250 yoke...wondering if anyone would want to take it over. Wouldn't want anything out of it, but might help someone out if they've got a time crunch.

Sorry, 3 posts in a row...
Got delivery scheduling text today. Does Tesla allow transfering the "order" to another person? I got in at $1k referral discount + $250 yoke...wondering if anyone would want to take it over. Wouldn't want anything out of it, but might help someone out if they've got a time crunch.
I just realized we ordered same day, VIN at the same time, mine is also a PF418 and our EDD was the same after VIN. Maybe I will also get a delivery text today. I hope so at least. lol. Although I switched to a different finance company so I need my updated MVPA.

Reactions: Melteye
*UPDATED TODAY 10/12 👁️

IMG_9737.jpeg

EDD #6 - 9/4 NJ “Plain” X 5-Seater ordered… No VIN Yet :(

Delivery window pushed back 9-days from EDD #5 (10/11 to 11/1).

Last edited:
Reactions: theslimshadyist

Horrible timing since I’m out of town for work all but two of those days. Hopefully can take delivery in my narrow window.

Delivery window: The exact days when I'm out of town for work. Starting the day after I leave and ending the day I get back (can't get home any earlier)
My suggestion would be to try to schedule it for the tail end of your trip window if you have to, then as it gets closer like a few days out, call/text Tesla and ask them to move it back a day when you'll be back in town. I'm pretty sure Tesla would rather do that, then try to match your exact config with someone local since it would already be at your local delivery center.

Last edited:
Based on recent examples, regardless of trim, how soon were people getting to schedule delivery dates after getting VIN? I received my VIN 6 days ago but have not received a notification to schedule my delivery. EDD is 10/18 - 10/25.
I got mine almost instantly and it gave me a delivery timeframe of 3 days, starting 4 days after I got my vin

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Model X Blue Plaid, 20" wheels, Black interior.
Price including delivery and order fee: $91,630
Order date: 9/4
New EDD: 10/27 - 12/8
No VIN yet

Any fire sale non-stock MXPs delivered yet?

Update:

Model X Blue Plaid, 20" wheels, Black interior.
Price including delivery and order fee: $91,630
Order date: 9/4
New EDD: 10/23 - 10/30
VIN: Assigned

I had already placed the order for the MXP (I don't qualify for the tax credits), but then started re-thinking it because we anyways are going to buy a large/barge, 3-row SUV in the next 18 months. So, started targeting vehicles that had good lease structures. We shopped the iX, Q8 and EQS. I already had hacked a lease an EQS SUV in April (~$600/mo, $0 due at signing) so familiar w/that car and wasn't interested unless it was a sick deal. I gifted that EQS to my parents in the summer.

Q8 etron landed at $675/mo, $0 down, 24 months/10k mi/yr. $82k sticker.
My MXP balloon would be around $1200 at a 5.25% rate. I don't believe in buying EVs, too much risk in landing upside down as we've seen.

iX is hackable at around $900/mo. It's a better car than the etron, but at that point, I'd rather have an MXP for a few hundred more.

How did you get the EQS SUV to $600 per month? It looks like the incentives are $10,000 ($7,500 lease cash re tax credit and $2,500 dealer buy down), .00078 - .00192 and the best residual is 52% at 36/7.5k. With those numbers and $0 down, the best lease price is about $1,400 (at $107,000 MSRP, .00078 MF, 52% residual). I can't see any way to get that $1400 down to $600.

How did you get the EQS SUV to $600 per month? It looks like the incentives are $10,000 ($7,500 lease cash re tax credit and $2,500 dealer buy down), .00078 - .00192 and the best residual is 52% at 36/7.5k. With those numbers and $0 down, the best lease price is about $1,400 (at $107,000 MSRP, .00078 MF, 52% residual). I can't see any way to get that $1400 down to $600.
I too would like to know. I’d grab that in a microsecond.

I was in a similar boat, out of the country and delivery slots were all before I got home. Texted the SA and they called me and pushed delivery out to next week. 😀

Reactions: NJturtlePower
This was back in March/April when the EQS deals were the strongest. A bit of a unicorn deal tbh. Residual was high IIRC on the 24/7.5k term which at the time was the most favorable. Residual was 66-67%, but the MF was higher than what you've shown. End of day, the dealer was doing 16-18% off MSRP plus incents which were the $7500 tax pass thru and then EV conquest. Did it in my LLC, so no sales tax.

In 2023, minimally on these high MSRP EVs, 10% off sticker (pre-incents) is a given then depends on how the negotiations go. There's a guy who got a EQS demo at the same dealer for $500/mo lol. But the EQS party is over at the moment. Still decent for the 580, but nothing good on the 450.