Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my wife, Tesla insurance was cheaper than our ICE car insurance and after the first year, the rate dropped more. I have to shop around again when we receive the X but I think our regular insurance rates are nuts in general because we have kids on the policy.
The insurance agent said they rate kids similar to adults convicted of drunk driving until they are 25 years old even if they never had a ticket or accident for those nine years (16-25 years old).

Let me know how much your X costs per month, because I was quoted way higher than my ICE car insurance. Other people are reporting high rates as well above $200 a month.

Will the buyer in the future really care about the VIN? If it is me, all I care is what is on the paper or the title, is it 2023 MX or 2024 MX?

The argument of "oh although this is a 2023 MX on the title but the VIN is 2024" seems to be pale to me.
I'm not sure I follow, the VIN and the title will match, so if it is a 2024 VIN the title will also say 2024, and same for 2023. You can't have a 2023 title with a 2024 VIN.

Reactions: WiseShepherd
Will the buyer in the future really care about the VIN? If it is me, all I care is what is on the paper or the title, is it 2023 MX or 2024 MX?

The argument of "oh although this is a 2023 MX on the title but the VIN is 2024" seems to be pale to me.
I don't believe that was his point. At some point the VIN will reflect that it is a "2024" model. At that point ALL new VIN's will be 2024 models. No one knows if that will start today, tomorrow, next week or next month (Certainly by 1/1/24) Thus, a "later" VIN has a greater chance of being a 2024 model.

Longer it takes to get Vin means better chance of getting a 2024 MX and not getting hit with massive depreciation hit.
But I certainly understand wanting to get it soon!!

I agree, I would've loved to get a 2024 VIN but the issue is there's a chance I wouldn't get it before December 31 seeing how things are right now if I decided to put the order on hold. Holidays are coming up which possibly means even longer delays.

I don't believe there will be a massive depreciation hit just because of a 2023 vs 2024 unless there were feature changes. There will be a difference, sure, but it'll only be a couple hundred if they're the same vehicle. People look more towards mileage, not really the year. The massive depreciation hit will only happen if Tesla decides to drop the price further, which would affect 2023 and 2024 anyways.

Anyone reading the news that Tesla workers are now going on strike in other countries? Given UAW's recent strike, I'm not going to risk it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Visvism and gsxdsm
My MXP with Tesla insurance is $173/mo; with $500/$500k liability, $100k property and $250/$500k uninsured. $1,000 deductible.

Yeah my MXLR is $167/mo; with $250/$500k liability, $100k property, $250/$500k uninsured, $15k PIP, $250 deductible Comp with $50 glass, $250 deductible Collision, Premier Responsible Driver Plan with Accident/Violation Forgiveness w/ Decreasing Deductible and Premier Roadside Assistance, $50/day transportation.

Tesla was charging me $240 a month for not as good coverage.

Does Tesla Insurance have nondeductible for glass?

Yeah my MXLR is $167/mo; with $250/$500k liability, $100k property, $250/$500k uninsured, $15k PIP, $250 deductible Comp with $50 glass, $250 deductible collision, Premier Responsible Driver Plan with Accident/Violation Forgiveness w/ Decreasing Deductible and Premier Roadside Assistance, $50/day transportation.

Tesla was charging me $240 a month for not as good coverage.
Yeah, your Traveler's is the better option in your case, especially with only $250 deductible and only $50 for glass replacement considering the huge windshield.

Yeah I agree, there's not going to be a massive depreciation hit. At most it would be a couple hundred between 2023 and 2024 models unless 2024 has some exciting new feature that the 2023 doesn't have.
Someone recently posted about their experience with selling a used Model Y. There was a few thousand difference in trade-in value for 1 year difference between cars. This was about 4 years after purchase. Obviously the longer you hold onto the car, the less difference there would be a for a 1 year VIN difference.

Reactions: Operator
Model X Saga:
My order date: 9/6
Tesla app order date: 9/7
MXLR Ultra Red poverty edition

EDD1: Oct- Nov
EDD2: Oct 10- Nov 21
EDD3: Oct 10- Nov 14
EDD4: Oct 24- Nov 28
EDD5: Oct 30- Nov 20
EDD6: Oct 31- Nov 21
EDD7: Nov 1- Nov 21
EDD8: Nov 2- Nov 21
EDD9: Nov 3- Nov 21
EDD10: Nov 4- Nov 21
EDD11: Nov 5- Nov 21
EDD12: Nov 6-Nov 22
EDD13: Nov 7-Nov 23

RECEIVED A VIN! Nov 8
PF423XXX
Congrats, and dang you got my car! Ordered the same but on Sept 10.

Someone recently posted about their experience with selling a used Model Y. There was a few thousand difference in trade-in value for 1 year difference
between cars. This was about 4 years after purchase. Obviously the longer you hold onto the car, the less difference there would be a for a 1 year VIN difference.

Below:

I’ll share my experience regarding resale/ trade-in value. I bought a new Tesla MYP at the end of 2021 and got a 2022 model. Last week I was looking to get rid of it to make room for a MX. KBB said the car’s trade in value was $41,850. I sold to a local dealer for $41,700. Now if I input the same car mileage, condition, etc but make the model year 2021. KBB says $36,500.

So there you go, the difference between a 2021 and 2022 MYP that’s a week apart is about $5k after 2 years. But if you plan to keep your car 5+ years, I would imagine that number would be significantly less.