Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, in drama news, I tried to add the new car to my eSurance, and the app says they don't do cars over $75k new...
But I went to the website, put in the VIN, and it seems they do.

So, I don't know the pickup date, and in case eSurance doesn't want my business, I did get the new car on the policy, effective 1st date of the estimated delivery (With my old car still insured). I figure I'll just drop my 2019 soon as I trade it in to them.

why is everything such a hassle? I was getting ready to research a dozen new car insurance companies, and move my homeowners, possibly the boat insurance, etc. you pay and pay and pay, and one day, save your pennies, get a new car, and they are like... well.. TOUGH. such a scam.

Tesla wants proof of insurance, but I'm not insuring a car that's 2 weeks away, so I can't print proof until 2 more weeks...

Tesla wants paid, but FedChoice says they want a "final price sheet". Tesla says they won't have that until 3-4 days before delivery.

I'd prefer delivery on a M-F, and NOT Saturday. I'm fine waiting to be less crowded.

Tesla wants the VIN and proof of at least 60 days coverage on the proof of insurance.
Weird. I picked mine up this week and didn’t add to my insurance until day after delivery. I just uploaded my other cars policy in the app and they didn’t say anything.

Weird. I picked mine up this week and didn’t add to my insurance until day after delivery. I just uploaded my other cars policy in the app and they didn’t say anything.
Maybe it’s a state thing. This is what mine shows

IMG_3803.jpeg

Though I have bought non teslas without needing anything other than proof of insurance on some car. So I figured Tesla was the party being strict here.

Picking my demo (13 mile) MXLR Ultra 🔴 next Saturday, applied for FedChoice but have to wait till Monday for them to open and approve the loan application. Was pleasantly surprised the tesla insurance quoted lower than my Travelers (about $60/mo lower), so just got it to start 3 days before delivery.

Now hoping the delivery goes smooth without issues, watching some of the videos on what to look far is quite nerve wracking, sometimes I feel ignorance is bliss!

Picking my demo (13 mile) MXLR Ultra 🔴 next Saturday, applied for FedChoice but have to wait till Monday for them to open and approve the loan application. Was pleasantly surprised the tesla insurance quoted lower than my Travelers (about $60/mo lower), so just got it to start 3 days before delivery.

Now hoping the delivery goes smooth without issues, watching some of the videos on what to look far is quite nerve wracking, sometimes I feel ignorance is bliss!
Tesla insurance is usually lower to start with, but unless you drive like a grandma, the monthly premium is going to increase when your safety score and annual estimated mileage get calculated in real-time after the first two months.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Tesla insurance is usually lower to start with, but unless you drive like a grandma, the monthly premium is going to increase when your safety score and annual estimated mileage get calculated in real-time after the first two months.
Good to know, it at least gives me some time to shop around if/ when that happens. I used to floor it when I got my Model S, but do not do that much now and I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit (oh no! I may be driving like a grandma now!)

Maybe it’s a state thing. This is what mine shows

View attachment 989868

Though I have bought non teslas without needing anything other than proof of insurance on some car. So I figured Tesla was the party being strict here.
Yeah must be. I didn’t wanna insure the car when I didn’t even have it in my possession yet (could have asked them to start the policy at a later date though).

Good to know, it at least gives me some time to shop around if/ when that happens. I used to floor it when I got my Model S, but do not do that much now and I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit (oh no! I may be driving like a grandma now!)
Actually the safety score is weird, I don’t think it cares how fast you go. If you drive in bumper to bumper traffic you’re far more likely to have a lower score than racing on an open freeway.

Reactions: explosive0
Actually the safety score is weird, I don’t think it cares how fast you go. If you drive in bumper to bumper traffic you’re far more likely to have a lower score than racing on an open freeway.
If you have version 2 of the Safety Score, it will penalize you for excessive speeding, which is above 85 mph. The factors that really kills your safety score are forward collision warning, driving after 10 pm and hard braking. Try to use autopilot as much as possible to avoid the collision warning and hard braking. It’s actually not that hard to keep safety score of 96+. You don’t really have to drive like a grandma

If you have version 2 of the Safety Score, it will penalize you for excessive speeding, which is above 85 mph. The factors that really kills your safety score are forward collision warning, driving after 10 pm and hard braking. Try to use autopilot as much as possible to avoid the collision warning and hard braking. It’s actually not that hard to keep safety score of 96+. You don’t really have to drive like a grandma
Yeah it knocks me for aggressive turning a lot, whatever that means. And the collision warning is impossible to avoid in SF traffic, people cutting off all the time. And the after 10pm one is just dumb.

If you drive in bumper to bumper traffic you’re far more likely to have a lower score than racing on an open freeway.
This is very helpful, I am almost always on TACC even on local roads, I live in a college town and do not have to drive in crazy traffic. What I like to do is sometimes floor it when I am at the lights just for fun.

Yeah it knocks me for aggressive turning a lot, whatever that means. And the collision warning is impossible to avoid in SF traffic, people cutting off all the time. And the after 10pm one is just dumb.
You just have to slow down enough before turning to avoid aggressive turning. It’s hard to do when you are in a hurry. I agree that after 10 pm driving deduction is stupid. And it deducts like 20% from your score for that driving session. In bumper to bumper situation, I usually let the autopilot drives. You won’t get deducted if you get the warning while on autopilot

Reactions: TallCoolOne
You add your current insurance policy. Most if not all insurance policies will cover your new vehicle for 30 days before adding it on to your current policy.
I thought that as well - the APP actually says "new VIN number" in the "must have" list.
I didn't screen shot it, but that makes it confusing, no?

BUT, the local tesla person, said 'any insurance card' - so I did that and it's good now.

One more stupid thing about the safety score. If you brake hard trying to stop when the light turns yellow, it counts as hard braking. I meant don’t you want me to stop for safety reason? Because of this, some people (not me of course 😉), accelerate to beat the red light instead of braking