Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. You can pay at time of pickup. And depending on the service delivery center and/or the delivery rep, you could do it after you've inspected the vehicle.
2. To the delivery rep, all gaps are always "within spec" lol
3. You'll want to contact FedChoice to see how they want it handled. They may ask you to request Tesla refund the loan payment to them while you wait for another VIN as you may need to sign new documents with the actual VIN that you end up accepting (plus it may take X more months until you get another VIN and you don't want to pay interest on a loan that you don't have a vehicle to). I had to go through this myself with my credit union.

However, if you have a good rate already with FedChoice, you may want to consider your options to try to keep that rate instead of FedChoice redoing the loan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinoth
Few questions I have the delivery scheduled for 11/17.
1. Do we have to pay the down payment before taking the car delivery or we can do it during delivery as well ?
The reason for the question is, if the panel gap is too large / the quality of the vehicle really not good. I would like to skip taking delivery to the next VIN.
2. How much approx gap is norm for Model X. I know this is objective question but just wanted a rough idea.
3. Fedchoice already made the payment and it is now reflecting in their loan statement. How does this work when I reject the VIN will they return that payment back to Fedchoice or keep it for the next VIN, in that case I may need to start the payment of the loan even before taking the next delivery. How does that work when the loan is actually tied to a VIN.
I believe FedChoice just increased their rates so bear that in mind. In the event you do reject your existing offer may expire before you take delivery again. I think they’ve got a 60 day period.

Few questions I have the delivery scheduled for 11/17.
1. Do we have to pay the down payment before taking the car delivery or we can do it during delivery as well ?
The reason for the question is, if the panel gap is too large / the quality of the vehicle really not good. I would like to skip taking delivery to the next VIN.
2. How much approx gap is norm for Model X. I know this is objective question but just wanted a rough idea.
3. Fedchoice already made the payment and it is now reflecting in their loan statement. How does this work when I reject the VIN will they return that payment back to Fedchoice or keep it for the next VIN, in that case I may need to start the payment of the loan even before taking the next delivery. How does that work when the loan is actually tied to a VIN.

Severel things to keep in mind.
1. You should be able to pay the down payment during delivery as long as it was a certified check or wired. The money has to be paid in full before you can drive the car off the lot.

2. Expect to find panel gaps in every Model X. That's a given. When I went to inspect my vehicle today, there were other slight panel gaps but nothing that was really crazy that would affect the usability of the vehicle. The widest gap is what I showed in my picture a couple posts above. Tesla allowed me to inspect the car a week prior to my actual delivery date even when FedChoice did not pay yet due to Veteran's Day. I was not allowed to drive the vehicle off the lot (I rescheduled the delivery date to the 17th.) Also, keep in mind if you do reject the VIN, there's a chance you will not get another car by the end of this year if you're looking for the tax credit.

3. If FedChoice already made the payment and you reject the VIN, you basically have to reapply for a new loan, as they've fulfilled their obligation to the loan by paying it. It is likely you have to start over again. Also, you carry that balance until Tesla refunds that car payment, which they told me would take weeks to months. This means that you will carry a loan balance while waiting for Tesla to refund you. (This is based on what Tesla told me today when I inspected the vehicle.)

If you're using a third party financing, I would inspect the vehicle before having any bank hand over payment, as things get REALLY sticky once it's paid and then you reject the VIN.

Last edited:
1. You can pay at time of pickup. And depending on the service delivery center and/or the delivery rep, you could do it after you've inspected the vehicle.
2. To the delivery rep, all gaps are always "within spec" lol
3. You'll want to contact FedChoice to see how they want it handled. They may ask you to request Tesla refund the loan payment to them while you wait for another VIN as you may need to sign new documents with the actual VIN that you end up accepting (plus it may take X more months until you get another VIN and you don't want to pay interest on a loan that you don't have a vehicle to). I had to go through this myself with my credit union.

However, if you have a good rate already with FedChoice, you may want to consider your options to try to keep that rate instead of FedChoice redoing the loan.
Thanks for your insight, really helpful. Yes I have a good rate @3.99% and from what you are saying I foresee a cumbersome process if I skip to next VIN.
I am just looking for an acceptable quality control so fingers crossed.

Severel things to keep in mind.
1. You should be able to pay the down payment during delivery as long as it was a certified check or wired. The money has to be paid in full before you can drive the car off the lot.

2. Expect to find panel gaps in every Model X. That's a given. When I went to inspect my vehicle today, there were other slight panel gaps but nothing that was really crazy that would affect the usability of the vehicle. The widest gap is what I showed in my picture a couple posts above. Tesla allowed me to inspect the car a week prior to my actual delivery date even when FedChoice did not pay yet due to Veteran's Day. I was not allowed to drive the vehicle off the lot (I rescheduled the delivery date to the 17th.) Also, keep in mind if you do reject the VIN, there's a chance you will not get another car by the end of this year if you're looking for the tax credit.

3. If FedChoice already made the payment and you reject the VIN, you basically have to reapply for a new loan, as they've fulfilled their obligation to the loan by paying it. It is likely you have to start over again. Also, you carry that balance until Tesla refunds that car payment, which they told me would take weeks to months. This means that you will carry a loan balance while waiting for Tesla to refund you. (This is based on what Tesla told me today when I inspected the vehicle.)

If you're using a third party financing, I would inspect the vehicle before having any bank hand over payment, as things get REALLY sticky once it's paid and then you reject the VIN.
Thanks for the insight, very brief and useful.
I am thinking wiring their payment at the time of delivery using their app.
I am just looking for acceptable panel gap not to have too much deviation. I saw a recent Tesla painting quality inspection video where a rubber sealant in the top of the door causes the glass in the top of the door to shatter so looking for such kind of disaster.
I saw your picture and I am ok if the gap is that close.
I am not looking for tax credit as I am not eligible.
I have a good rate 3.99% and doesn't want to skip the VIN, from what you are saying if I have to skip then it would be a daunting task and I may not get that rate again.
Lets see how things goes and thanks though.

Thanks for the insight, very brief and useful.
I am thinking wiring their payment at the time of delivery using their app.
I am just looking for acceptable panel gap not to have too much deviation. I saw a recent Tesla painting quality inspection video where a rubber sealant in the top of the door causes the glass in the top of the door to shatter so looking for such kind of disaster.
I saw your picture and I am ok if the gap is that close.
I am not looking for tax credit as I am not eligible.
I have a good rate 3.99% and doesn't want to skip the VIN, from what you are saying if I have to skip then it would be a daunting task and I may not get that rate again.
Lets see how things goes and thanks though.
It took Tesla about 6 days to refund my loan payment from time of request to when the bank received the check. You just have to stay on top of it to make sure they process it instead of letting them drag their feet and delaying it.

And then took another month for me to get my second VIN. This may vary for you

Reactions: Vinoth and Visvism
It took Tesla about 6 days to refund my loan payment from time of request to when the bank received the check. You just have to stay on top of it to make sure they process it instead of letting them drag their feet and delaying it.

And then took another month for me to get my second VIN. This may vary for you
Only 6 days? The Tesla manager told me that it could take weeks to months! She told me she's seen a lot of horror stories while being a Tesla manager. I guess YMMV.

Here are more pics of the car. The day was cloudy, so you don't get to appreciate how nice the ultra red pops in the sun. And no, there's no front bumper camera, or a latch there.

IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_5909.jpg

Only 6 days? The Tesla manager told me that it could take weeks to months! She told me she's seen a lot of horror stories while being a Tesla manager. I guess YMMV.
Scare tactic maybe? 🤔 But I don't doubt it's possible, especially if it's a deposit payment. However, for such a large amount and being that a bank would be asking for it back, I think they're more inclined to do it in a reasonable timeframe.

Great looking car! Congrats. How far do the self presenting doors open now?
They only open like a couple inches. Same with the Model S. It’s fine I never even had self presenting doors on any car before lol.

Apparently you can pick your car up after hours since I’ve already signed the paperwork. I am just waiting on FedChoice to send payment. Tesla told me they can leave the keycards inside and all I have to do is hit accept delivery on my phone and I can set up phone as a key right then and there at the parking lot to unlock and drive the car off the lot. Manager gave me her phone number and said if I run into problems she can come and help since she lives close by. Not bad!

Reactions: Saxman and Pricedm
I overpaid my deposit (took a larger loan when I found a lower rate). Will Tesla refund me on purchase day, with a check, or I assume it's electronic, but days later, back to original funding source?

I KNOW, I KNOW. I'm stupid for paying for a car I can't see/touch yet, but I thought maybe it would go faster if I was all done in advance. (it doesn't).

So, my "amount due" is a negative number, not an insignificant one either, so I wouldn't mind the cash back sooner than later...

I will also have to make a payment on my current car loan, before they send they payoff amount to my bank, which means they will be paying more than is owed. I assume my bank puts the rest in my accounts then, and does not return it to Tesla..?

2 weeks and 3 daysish to go!