Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '23 Plaid will be $12 cheaper than my '22 PY with the same options. This is what Progressive quoted me online when I used a '23 Plaid VIN I found online. FWIW, I'm 70 y.o. and a clean record.

Again, context. I believe EVs cost more to insure than ICE counterparts. I was making the comparison between ICE and EV, and how Tesla makes it a huge deal on their website in terms of 'gas savings' but then forgets to mention how much more it costs to insure an EV over another ICE vehicle of the same price, which negates gas savings in the first place, at least in my experience.

I have yet to see anyone say their EV costs less or equal to a comparable ICE vehicle to insure (with the exception of that 15 year old BMW, but that just sounds wrong in general.)

It's also extremely hard to find a population of people who own multiple new cars of around the same price and compare prices on their insurance premiums as well, but this is my experience, and I'm trying to let people be aware that going Tesla may not necessarily save you money for those wanting to know that answer.

Last edited:
for all of the folks who decided to wait or cancel orders back in November for a "2024" vin..........Y'all hanging in there ok 👀👀? Trust me i'm just as shocked to still see 2023's pumping out like no tomorrow and to add sugar on top, no POS credit. Someone wake Elon up and tell him its 2024! 😄😄😄
Yup, I canceled my order in December and placed another order 12/31/23 to keep my Cybertruck discount. They assigned the same VIN the same day but after speaking with the advisor, my new order is on hold till end of Jan...if they offer discount on 2023, I will certainly consider taking delivery...

Reactions: SunnySideUp
My delivery advisor said they didn’t hear anything. He recommended me wait at least until mid next week. I pushed my appointment to next Saturday afternoon for now.
I will do the same despite what my delivery advisor tells me. Thanks for sharing info!

I also called delivery centers in LA and in Brea. Both of them told me they are still working on it. Wish the Upland delivery center didn't just lie to my face... 😂

Reactions: Szzz
Again, context. I believe EVs cost more to insure than ICE counterparts. I was making the comparison between ICE and EV, and how Tesla makes it a huge deal on their website in terms of 'gas savings' but then forgets to mention how much more it costs to insure an EV over another ICE vehicle of the same price, which negates gas savings in the first place, at least in my experience.

I have yet to see anyone say their EV costs less or equal to a comparable ICE vehicle to insure (with the exception of that 15 year old BMW, but that just sounds wrong in general.)

It's also extremely hard to find a population of people who own multiple new cars of around the same price and compare prices on their insurance premiums as well, but this is my experience, and I'm trying to let people be aware that going Tesla may not necessarily save you money for those wanting to know that
To share your experience as representative of reality of all of us to the uninformed is presumptuous…and I would venture to say indicative of how you typically see yourself, “special”. Hate to break it to you, you like the rest of us are an “n” of precisely 1. You can kick and scream and it won’t change a darn thing.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Anyone else get an email from Tesla about their order? I got this from them a little while ago.

We are contacting you to let you know that we do not build the configuration you originally selected. To move forward with your order, please reconfigure your Model X at your earliest convenience.

We received updated EPA range estimates for Model X Long Range that are slightly lower than when you placed your order. This update is a result of several comfort and functionality improvements we’ve made across our vehicles, which require more energy from the battery pack. The EPA also updated their range testing guidance to ensure sticker estimates for all manufacturers more closely reflect real-world range, impacting previous range estimates for all manufacturers, not just Tesla.

To update your design, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select ‘Update Design’ by January 10, 2024.

If we do not hear from you by January 10, 2024, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order fee.

I’m guilty of inflaming and detracting thread by joking about Tesla’s new ranges framed as a new year resolution. The word “lie” seems to have stoked some negative emotions. They lie, but it was a joke and most oems lie these days (and unfortunately we’ve come to accept that as normal and defensible). Let’s get back to X deliveries.

Just got an email about the EPA range. Their reasoning is a little odd. They say it’s because the comfort and functionality improvements require more energy. I can either get a $250 order fee refund or “update design” by the 10th to keep the order. Is this the first time Tesla has been proactive about refunding due to design changes? Did they do this with the orders they had from before the current refresh?

IMG_0984.png

Is this the first time Tesla has been proactive about refunding due to design changes?
Nope.
Did they do this with the orders they had from before the current refresh?
Yep, only they weren't further because they totally changed the pricing as well when the Palladium refresh was released.

Assuming you accept, that should mean you will get a 2024 VIN.

To share your experience as representative of reality of all of us to the uninformed is presumptuous…and I would venture to say indicative of how you typically see yourself, “special”. Hate to break it to you, you like the rest of us are an “n” of precisely 1. You can kick and scream and it won’t change a darn thing.
Thanks for your input. Not sure how your input really adds any value either. Not saying I am any special either. So it is quite presumptuous of you to assume this as well. My guess is that quite a significant amount of people are experiencing higher premiums on a Tesla.

Yes, n=1 from me, but there are many others with exactly the same experiences as well. If you look at Reddit there are way more.

Here are couple examples.

There are even news articles about Tesla costing more to insure.

My main point was that Tesla tried to fluff up their feathers by touting ‘gas savings’ in their prices, but do not mention anything about increased insurance cost as well as a possibility. Not everyone will experience that amount of gas savings. No need to get your panties up in a bunch over it. If you can find evidence to the contrary for the average buyer/ car owner, I’m all ears and I’ll admit I was completely wrong. Anyways, I will not comment about this any further. There is no point in trying to argue this any more than I already have.

Last edited:
I logged in and got an error, refreshed, same error, then I went back in my browser to the "manage design" page (where I was last time) and I was logged in. I think everyone trying to update their order at the same time, is crashing the servers. You might try later.

Looks like everything is the same and the same price, just had to click "update design" to agree to changed terms. Stupid lawyers.

I was worried I'd have to give up something, but the only change seems to be the mileage.