Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IME whenever you order any brand new model that has thousands of people desperately waiting for it, delivery is always a bit uncertain. I gather that iPace deliveries didn't exactly go smoothly and that was on a much smaller scale.

This was not a case of getting the numbers wrong, Tesla has and still continues to give estimated delivery dates which they know are out by months and have left the impression that their staff are making things up as they go to appease customers.

Reactions: RjbT3 and goRt
they have already sent out a text and email correcting an error in the way they present the invoice to all customers with delivery pending.

Although ... I and others didn't get it, so it wasn't "Send this to everyone we have credited and caused confusion with". They just don't have systems to do this (properly). So when it is done it is almost certainly done manually - for which they don't really have the resource (or competence ...) either

People keep on wanting it to be different. It would be great if it was ... but it aint.

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3
Although ... I and others didn't get it, so it wasn't "Send this to everyone we have credited and caused confusion with". They just don't have systems to do this (properly). So when it is done it is almost certainly done manually - for which they don't really have the resource (or competence ...) either

People keep on wanting it to be different. It would be great if it was ... but it aint.

I did not make it clear, the text and email were only sent to those who had not received their cars. You already had yours, so you did not get the text or email.

They have the capability, just not the will to do the right thing. I agree we just have to accept this is the way Tesla operates and if we want their great car, we have to accept this fact, but it does cause other concerns and is costing people money as they assumed wrongly that Tesla would deliver a reasonable level of customer service.

This was not a case of getting the numbers wrong, Tesla has and still continues to give estimated delivery dates which they know are out by months and have left the impression that their staff are making things up as they go to appease customers.

Are you just going off the website estimated delivery date or are Tesla sales people actually telling you this too? I get the impression uk Tesla sales people don't really know when cars are arriving so anything they say will be likely a guess.

Cars will arrive whenever and get matched to orders asap. If you are desperate for a new car immediately then ordering an M3 was always going to be a massive risk. Otherwise chill out and your car will probably get delivered within the next couple of months. It was never going to be easy delivering 5000 or so cars in such a short time frame. It was always going to be spread out over a number of months. I've been expecting my car to arrive sometime in September for a while now. It was pretty obvious to me that only a few lucky people would get a delivery in June. Maybe you thought it would be all done and dusted by now with 5000 cars delivered? Or are you just wanting someone at Tesla to state the obvious, that your car may be arriving later than their website suggested? How upset do you really want to get about it? Who else is making an effort to provide similar EVs today? Maybe sign up for a VW ID and wait another couple of years?

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3 and LEE3
Are you just going off the website estimated delivery date or are Tesla sales people actually telling you this too? I get the impression uk Tesla sales people don't really know when cars are arriving so anything they say will be likely a guess.

Cars will arrive whenever and get matched to orders asap. If you are desperate for a new car immediately then ordering an M3 was always going to be a massive risk. Otherwise chill out and your car will probably get delivered within the next couple of months. It was never going to be easy delivering 5000 or so cars in such a short time frame. It was always going to be spread out over a number of months. I've been expecting my car to arrive sometime in September for a while now. It was pretty obvious to me that only a few lucky people would get a delivery in June. Maybe you thought it would be all done and dusted by now with 5000 cars delivered? Or are you just wanting someone at Tesla to state the obvious, that your car may be arriving later than their website suggested? How upset do you really want to get about it? Who else is making an effort to provide similar EVs today? Maybe sign up for a VW ID and wait another couple of years?

I thought that we would see a serious number of cars delivered in July followed up with a regular supply. The vessel carriers can take 4000+ cars, albeit it would take longer several weeks to deliver this many. This is not their first launch of the Model 3 in a new country.

They called me on 4 June and asked if I could take delivery w/c 8 July, but was never given any updates and obviously no text. Since then all the communications from Tesla are obviously their best guess with more accurate guesses on social media. Last week I was told they were loading cars on a boat - this is just not factually correct, there are no boats at the dock, nor have there been for a couple of weeks. Next boat is at best several days away from departing. At least it could get here by early August, but not the end of July which is what Tesla was quoting.

It would seem they have only delivered something like 5% of the cars ordered in the first few days of orders over the last 2 months.

I am pretty chilled but have started to wonder what other surprises are in store as Tesla are different and customers are clearly not a priority.

Last week I was told they were loading cars on a boat......
There's a chance this was correct - Tesla Carriers

Not sure I believe it, but it would be great news......

edit - he meant to say *East* or South coast.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 18.44.22.png

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I see the Tesla Carriers spreadsheet has just been updated and a surprise new entry is the vehicle carrier Tysla (sic) which is due into Zeebrugge on Thursday 11th Jul. This is a surprise entry because the ship did not leave San Francisco port but left from the US east coast from a port near Baltimore called Dundalk. Someone obviously has knowledge that there are Tesla's on board to add them to the spreadsheet. Assuming a week from Zeebrugge to UK delivery, it means we could be looking at some deliveries from the 18th......

This would be great news and if Tesla can start delivering at the end of July, it would make a lot of people happy. I am hoping that those of us who have been told we will get our cars by end of July/early August will be allocated cars from that ship. But of course, Tesla is different and there is no guarantee that we will be allocated and Tesla has said we will be bumped if not available to collect within 7 days.

yes its a good point. To date Tesla have always given me a loaner when they had my car, but it has crossed my mind whether they are in a position to do that for the increase in case numbers that Model-3 will bring. I don't suppose many model-3 owners will mind being given a P100D loaner ...

When I pondered this I didn't remember reading threads from USA / EU about poor service (because insufficient engineers / workshop due to growth), but I don't have a lot of time to read those threads, and hopefully folk from USA / EU reading this UK forum could comment. But, yup, definitely a concern.

I like that one :)

It's a concern but one hopes it won't come to pass. It sounds like they have to date maintained only just enough service cover in terms of staff, parts, call centre waiting times, loan cars etc. This will have to increase massively for the transformational change M3 makes in the size of the fleet they're supporting. I wonder when they will open up to allow more independents to service their cars. Presumably a lot of SC resource is taken up with routine stuff others could do, and Tesla themselves don't (presumably) have to plug the car in by wire to a diagnostics machine.

Anyway, more on thread, I read very early on in my process, perhaps even before I pushed the button, that it takes about 3 months and the website date estimate is fanciful. Also the sales people estimated much later too. So, annoying as it is, I wonder what proportion of buyers are genuinely relying on a wildly unrealistic date. Some, sure, and it does represent a poor piece of customer service, but it's not an unknown issue. More annoying to me were the constant surprise price and spec changes, although they too are "classic Tesla".

I see the Tesla Carriers spreadsheet has just been updated and a surprise new entry is the vehicle carrier Tysla (sic) which is due into Zeebrugge on Thursday 11th Jul. This is a surprise entry because the ship did not leave San Francisco port but left from the US east coast from a port near Baltimore called Dundalk. Someone obviously has knowledge that there are Tesla's on board to add them to the spreadsheet. Assuming a week from Zeebrugge to UK delivery, it means we could be looking at some deliveries from the 18th......
WTF?
Where’s that just materialised from?
Any guesses how many RHD cars will on there? Somehow I have a suspicion this may be for the LHD European market...

Reactions: GreenT
In US to buy an imported European car, depending of the model, you have to custom ordered it and it might take three months or so.

Some people like to pick up their car at the factory, they can drive it for a month in Europe, and get it shipped. All included in the order.

The difference is when you buy a European, or I suspect even an American car, they give you a sensible date for delivery, even if Months away. This is updated as your car is built to order and in most cases, they deliver when they say. Does not always go right, but in 95% of cases it does, whereas Tesla has got this metric the other way round with only 5% getting their cars when Tesla stated.

I rather like Tesla's approach of only a few different variants to choose from. Makes great sense and innovative idea, which is what I like about Tesla. But it should have made it easy to deliver. They are now in a position where many of their customers no longer believe what they say.

Reactions: goRt and Watts_Up

Omitting the reassembly bit that applied only to S and X, sounds similar to the scenario I posted elsewhere.

The very knowledgeable guy at Tesla Heathrow said that Model 3's would be trained to east coast and shipped from there to Tilburn (?), just like S and X, the latter being reassembled in Europe as I understand to reduce import duty.

So it came as a big surprise that M3's started being shipped from West Coast.

I wonder if this may have been a quicker but more expensive route, just to get some early headline making deliveries in by end of June, and from now on, they may revert to business as usual, just like the S and X to keep costs down and better margins.

So is it possible we are looking for them in the wrong side of America?

So here's hoping, although I suspect ours is in a subsequent batch as no Vin yet. If true, at least there is no letup.

Reactions: Snapyou
Not unusual for Tesla to be overly optimistic about deliveries and other goals.

Many times your delivery will be quicker if you order a configuration that is on the ground or coming over on the boat. Tesla will try to match orders with inventory to optimize deliveries. Delivery times are estimates, not guarantees.

Heard that Tesla is wanting to open up a Gigafactory in Europe. Germany has been mentioned as a possible location, but many factors will go into determining it's location. They will make the Model 3/Y Models as well as batteries and motors.

Not unusual for Tesla to be overly optimistic about deliveries and other goals.

Many times your delivery will be quicker if you order a configuration that is on the ground or coming over on the boat. Tesla will try to match orders with inventory to optimize deliveries. Delivery times are estimates, not guarantees.

Being optimistic is not in itself a bad thing. But Tesla must have known and taken a decision to keep posting delivery dates that are unachievable. The launch of the Model 3 in the UK should have been a huge success, but instead has left many of its loyal supporters fed up at the shambles we are now faced.

I believe it is a great car and was the reason why I wanted to get an EV, not any EV, but a Tesla. Tesla has said I will get my car at the end of July/early August and if they deliver, it will help to restore my faith in the company and whilst later than the expected delivery date, it is still within an acceptable margin. But like many others, I just don't know if I can believe what they have told me.

Reactions: goRt and RamsfanJim