Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way of hiding threads from the feed?

UNWATCH THREAD will remove the "marker" (indicating you have participated, or flagged it "Watch") on the index page

You can block individual people if you like (but in practice that doesn't really work because other people will quote their replies, so you still have to skate over them ...)

Please can somebody post a screenshot showing the VIN number in the source code. I understand that it should include the characters 5YJ, but it would be good to see the context. .

Not a screen print, per se, but may help:

Tesla's Future

Is there any way of hiding threads from the feed?
This one has gone so tedious...
I agree, it’s incredibly tedious, and reading it is increasing my frustration levels...
The one positive thing that the thread shows is the festering resentment that is brewing towards Tesla. I really, really hope that Tesla has someone monitoring this forum, so at least they can see that resentment and report it back to someone who actually makes a decision. Unfortunately I have no expectation that it will happen. :(

On a brighter note, I managed to get a PCP quote and have been told I can wait until I receive my VIN and delivery date before I need to decide my payment option (HP/PCP/Cash). Plus that I can decide on my trade-in at the last moment. These things are very quick and easy to alter apparently (speaking about the Tesla/Black Horse finance option only here). Like the column in The Week magazine... It wasn't all bad... :D:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Once you get it, it will be the best car you've every owned and all the above frustration will be forgotten in an instant, It's out of our hands in the laps of the Tesla gods and god of the seas Triton! Yes I agree the Tesla comms could be improved but it's not going to help getting the cars over here any quicker, sit back have a drink of a beverage of your choice and browse the 1000's of youtube videos of the 3

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
See I told you it wasn't worth another tedious whinge thread about delivery of a car that any sane person would have realised was going to be chaos at the start.

This is not like the release of a new Nissan Micra, people are queueing round the block to get into an M3. Sales staff and SCs will be working flat out to push cars out to customers. Having a dysfunctional back-office makes it all even worse!

Those who really can't take the pain of waiting without a specific delivery date really do need to consider some other car or perhaps come back in a few months time when the dust has settled a bit and the delivery cycle is a bit more predictable. Like it is when you order an S or X.

Those who genuinely expected all UK cars to be delivered in June obviously didn't give a moment's thought to how on earth that could possibly be achieved given the number of orders and Tesla's uk infrastructure.

I'm not defending Tesla here, they fooked it up as usual. But there are times when you have to be realistic as a customer and do a bit of your own due diligence when spending that sort of money. Or at least not believe every word sales people tell you. That works for pretty much any purchase IME!

Tesla can thrive with their current business model. but it must be fraught with mid to long terms problems. All those who ordered are enthusiastic about Tesla but have ended up disappointed by the way they are being treated. If they want to expand beyond the enthusiasts, they need to rethink their approach. Tesla is not cheap and if there was an alternative, I would have cancelled my order. Alternatives will start being available in the next 12 - 24 months.

I know I will get a car and will be delighted with it, I just do not know when. I have been given 4 different delivery estimates and trying to remain positive that the latest estimate of end of July early August is achievable.

Others who have posted here are right, there is little to discuss and we all pretty much agree, Tesla customer service is appalling, we need to complain directly to Tesla. If we are still discussing in August, we need a new post discussing the best way to complain directly to Tesla.

I can never remember 5YJ, so always search for "vin" including the quotes. On mine, I have 10 instances, and I think it is the first instance. No vin yet.

Code:
"VehicleAccessories":"Model 3 - Vehicle Accessories","VehicleAccessoriesDescription":"Improve your driving experience with interior and exterior accessories including car covers, all-weather floor mats and wheel
options.","ViewDesignDetails":"View Design Details","VIN":"VIN","Walkthrough":"Walkthrough","WhatToBring":"What do I need to bring with me to
 delivery?","WhatToBringInsurance":"Copy of your current auto insurance (or proof of Tesla policy, if required)

Alternatives will start being available in the next 12 - 24 months.

I hope you are right (the more EVs on the road the happier I am), but I thought that with the last clutch of competitors - iPace, eTron, EQC. Comparing against the Model-S: Model-S design is 7 years old !!, all the rest have had the benefit of that time to pick latest-and-greatest, None of them have the Model-S range (which has subsequently increased significantly with Raven). The Model-3 is more frugal still than Model-S, but no option for as big a battery. 3rd party charging is going to put people off anything other than Tesla until Ionity etc. are widespread (a good couple of years).

Competition ought to be snapping at Tesla's heels by now ... Hyundai is better than Tesla (range etc.) but you can't get one for love nor money ... VW is taking big-battery-contract-numbers, the rest are only producing 20K units p.a. (I think because they can't get more batteries)

So whilst I would like lots of competition, and soon, I am doubtful

This is broadly fair. Tesla are a car tech company, not a customer relations company. But we want that car[s[tech[/s]..

Just because you are not a customer relations company, doesn't mean that you don't do customer relations. Customer relations is an integral part of all companies, and the more customers you have, the more integral it is.

Also, Tesla sell cars, so its a car company. Pretty much all cars these days have tech. So the expectation is that it operates like a car company.

I don't think I've had significantly better or worse with other car companies/dealers that I have dealt with. The difference here for me is level of expectation. I was told, end june, early july and verbally august. I will be disappointed if it slips into September. But im not set on Tesla, but it would be nice. Im in if for long range EV and juggling that with having a 12+ year old diesel.

Last edited:
On a brighter note, I managed to get a PCP quote and have been told I can wait until I receive my VIN and delivery date before I need to decide my payment option (HP/PCP/Cash). Plus that I can decide on my trade-in at the last moment. These things are very quick and easy to alter apparently (speaking about the Tesla/Black Horse finance option only here). Like the column in The Week magazine... It wasn't all bad... :D:cool:
Did you have to call up about that? I put in for a PCP (didn't have any other quotes before) and was told that the Blackhorse side was approved but the Tesla side is the hold up. Since then my account has sat at "We will contact you to with the next steps to complete your payment."

Tesla can thrive with their current business model. but it must be fraught with mid to long terms problems. All those who ordered are enthusiastic about Tesla but have ended up disappointed by the way they are being treated. If they want to expand beyond the enthusiasts, they need to rethink their approach. Tesla is not cheap and if there was an alternative, I would have cancelled my order. Alternatives will start being available in the next 12 - 24 months.

I know I will get a car and will be delighted with it, I just do not know when. I have been given 4 different delivery estimates and trying to remain positive that the latest estimate of end of July early August is achievable.

Others who have posted here are right, there is little to discuss and we all pretty much agree, Tesla customer service is appalling, we need to complain directly to Tesla. If we are still discussing in August, we need a new post discussing the best way to complain directly to Tesla.

FWIW I have been disappointed with most other car dealerships and manufacturers too for all sorts of reasons. Tesla is by no means the worst in my personal experience. Actually when I think about it, they have been the best overall. Go on pretty much any car forum and you will find plenty of threads about poor customer service. JLR for example are notoriously poor.

Obviously that leaves the door open for any company who can raise the bar and maybe Tesla are not making the most of it. But it's a tough industry. A guy I know is a BMW dealer principal and he spends a fair bit of his day dealing with customer complaints - people demanding to see the DP for whatever complaint they see fit. Another guy I know is a Porsche sales manager and he also has to deal with plenty of upset customers. It seems buying a car is perhaps a bit too emotional for some?

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I hope you are right (the more EVs on the road the happier I am), but I thought that with the last clutch of competitors - iPace, eTron, EQC. Comparing against the Model-S: Model-S design is 7 years old !!, all the rest have had the benefit of that time to pick latest-and-greatest, None of them have the Model-S range (which has subsequently increased significantly with Raven). The Model-3 is more frugal still than Model-S, but no option for as big a battery. 3rd party charging is going to put people off anything other than Tesla until Ionity etc. are widespread (a good couple of years).

Competition ought to be snapping at Tesla's heels by now ... Hyundai is better than Tesla (range etc.) but you can't get one for love nor money ... VW is taking big-battery-contract-numbers, the rest are only producing 20K units p.a. (I think because they can't get more batteries)

So whilst I would like lots of competition, and soon, I am doubtful

I agree, even 24 months is optimistic.

I think the big car manufacturers are slowly waking up to the idea that EV's are actually desirable over ICE. Today, Tesla has the best cars, but it is not competing in the lower end of the market. The cheapest Model 3 is still very aspirational for most households. Even when pushed, I suspect even the fastest design to production is going to be 3 plus years, but what we do not know is what is currently in the design phase. Kia eNiro is a great product and Zoe and Leaf and making significant improvements in their design. Difficult to assess the new VW.

But all of these companies have awesome customer service compared to Tesla and when I come to change my Tesla, I will be looking closely elsewhere as I have no desire to go through this experience with Tesla again. I suppose Tesla is hoping that they are so good, they do not need to worry about brand loyalty.

The strongest pull for Tesla in a few years will be the SUC network. The CCS chargers are too complex and unreliable. Difficult to see how they sort this mess out to make it viable, but this could be the biggest block to widespread EV usage.

Some interesting comments about dealership customer services. When I lived in S London and went car shopping the experience was dismal - I walked out of more than one showroom. Out here in Staffordshire the experience has been nothing but positive and I recently went to almost every dealership with OH hunting for a 4x4 ICE she was comfortable in. And servicing and warranty repairs on the toyota I traded in for my MS was also impeccable.

Even when i decided to look at the MS I rocked up at Digbeth last September with no warning, pointed out it was a 2.5 hr drive and they moved stuff around for an immediate test drive and a few weeks later delivered the car to my home and took toyota away. When i had a warranty issue i again just rocked up at the SC, they looked, ordered the parts and gave me a date for return and fixingand the job was done. Hopefully it hasn't deteriorated much since.

But all of these companies have awesome customer service compared to Tesla

Not in my experience they don't! For example it took me over a year to get Porsche to refund an unused extended warranty when I sold my car. Had to escalate to head office in the end and they were incredibly arrogant about it. Also had to argue with them over paying for a failed battery (less than 2 years old) as they tried to say it wasn't covered by the warranty. Ended up paying half for a new one, which pissed me off no end on principle. Then they damaged my winter wheel rims in storage and tried to say I had done it myself by kerbing until I pointed out that the damage was actually in the centre of the wheel where they had clearly stacked them the wrong way round. They fixed them, but didn't even bother to apologise.

My experience of Tesla service has been positive. I was unfortunate enough to pick up a nail in a tyre within the first 500 miles. Took it to the MK SC and they not only fitted a new tyre on the spot, they didn't even charge me for it! Initial fault fixing and routine service has all been very slick and friendly too and always had a Tesla loan car available.

Last edited:
Reactions: GraemeS
Did you have to call up about that? I put in for a PCP (didn't have any other quotes before) and was told that the Blackhorse side was approved but the Tesla side is the hold up. Since then my account has sat at "We will contact you to with the next steps to complete your payment."
That was the same for me with HP. Black Horse told me it was approved and I just had to wait for Tesla to process my order and all would be fine. I did call Tesla sales to get this confirmed, but I didn't ask about PCP at that time.

However, I did email Tesla back in May, asking where the PCP option was. First I was told it would be added to the Black Horse/Codeweavers portal, then I was told PCP wouldn't be an option for Model 3 in the UK, so I settled on a cash or HP purchase option.

Tesla sales mentioned it yesterday because they were reviewing previous emails I had sent. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that PCP was indeed an option again (albeit with a slight complication for me because the bank doesn't have a GMFV for the spec I have on order).

• Informative
Reactions: Oddbin