Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery in 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there are supposedly over 1.5 million reservations for the Cybertruck, yet their website says delivery in 2024 if you order one now.

Is this saying new $250 deposit orders take precedence over existing $100 deposit orders?

So there are supposedly over 1.5 million reservations for the Cybertruck, yet their website says delivery in 2024 if you order one now.

Is this saying new $250 deposit orders take precedence over existing $100 deposit orders?
I doubt it. They might be taking liberties with the truth to increase short term demand as well as demand pricing. And having reservation $ growing at 5% interest doesn't hurt either.

Tesla/Elon might be about as crooked as any company/CEO in recent history.

Last edited:
My sense is that Tesla is particularly interested in the people who will order that Tri-motor Cyberbeast, at US$100k.

They would want to plan 2024 production to maximize the higher margins they'll get on sales of a tri-motor Cyberbeast, and then fill in 2024 production with the slobs who ordered the dual-motor version. So, yeah, in my opinion, new orders who put down $250 reservation for a tri-motor at $100k, will get cars in 2024 before ALL of the dual-motor demand is filled. (even though obviously, the initial production while the line is at low production rate, are being built in the dual-motor version.

My sense is that Tesla is particularly interested in the people who will order that Tri-motor Cyberbeast, at US$100k.

They would want to plan 2024 production to maximize the higher margins they'll get on sales of a tri-motor Cyberbeast, and then fill in 2024 production with the slobs who ordered the dual-motor version. So, yeah, in my opinion, new orders who put down $250 reservation for a tri-motor at $100k, will get cars in 2024 before ALL of the dual-motor demand is filled. (even though obviously, the initial production while the line is at low production rate, are being built in the dual-motor version.
100% agree. If Tesla can only make 30-80k CTs next year (the range from various predictors out there), I could see them trying to make as much money on them as they can like the did with the Plaid vs LR in the S/X. With the MS, you could order a Plaid and get it before people who reserved a LR.

Yeah, in economic terms, Tesla is doing something called "price discovery" in the market.

They understand the supply side: they know their costs to mfg a Cybertruck now, and they know better than us how rapidly they might ascend the manufacturing S-curve.

But they do not (yet) know what the "willingness to pay" is on the demand side. And they could not: until they published prices yesterday and begin to see how the mere "reservations" turn into confirmed orders, by buyers using the configurator to actually order a particular model and option set for the car, and contractually obligate themselves to pay a certain price.

I can assure you key people at Tesla are watching these numbers come in from any data they can get on a daily basis. Probably, Elon & the CFO attend many of these meetings, or read the daily reports. It is this sort of information that will let them figure out how rapidly they will open up the configurator to letting reservation holders make configured/optioned orders.

Yeah, in economic terms, Tesla is doing something called "price discovery" in the market.

They understand the supply side: they know their costs to mfg a Cybertruck now, and they know better than us how rapidly they might ascend the manufacturing S-curve.

But they do not (yet) know what the "willingness to pay" is on the demand side. And they could not: until they published prices yesterday and begin to see how the mere "reservations" turn into confirmed orders, by buyers using the configurator to actually order a particular model and option set for the car, and contractually obligate themselves to pay a certain price.

I can assure you key people at Tesla are watching these numbers come in from any data they can get on a daily basis. Probably, Elon & the CFO attend many of these meetings, or read the daily reports. It is this sort of information that will let them figure out how rapidly they will open up the configurator to letting reservation holders make configured/optioned orders.
Excellent post!

• Love
Reactions: A2be and gsmith123
And Tesla should have some idea what the conversion rate typically is (from the Model 3 ramp).

Also, a portion (potentially a large portion?) of the reservations may be only interested in the cheapest RWD trim (currently "Available in 2025" per the configurator)

I’ll take the CB at $100k if you throw in the extended battery pack for 2024 buyers edition.

Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt
Watching the gigaTx drone footage and no signs of any fresh CT production in and around the parking lots. Maybe those first 10 production were via heroic measures and Elon hovering about? We'll see how quickly they start rolling out the doors after new years.

Just read where people taking a test drive this past weekend were told that if they then ordered a cybertruck their order would be ahead of others. Sure looks like waiting 4 years means nothing to Tesla. Lol like we expected something different?

Sounds like it
I’ll take the CB at $100k if you throw in the extended battery pack for 2024 buyers edition.
Exactly. To maximize profit. That's why they aren’t 100% transparent.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer