Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Some vehicles”, wtf. Don’t like the idea of a lottery meaning you may or may not lose pretty useful functionality.
I guess it's due to the chip shortage so they have come up with an alternative, albeit a downgrade in capability.

The spec on Tesla's website just states "Center console with storage, 4 USB-C ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones" which technically you still get - I checked on the Wayback Machine and that was the description back in July so they haven't just suddenly changed it to cover themselves.

I guess it's due to the chip shortage so they have come up with an alternative, albeit a downgrade in capability.

The spec on Tesla's website just states "Center console with storage, 4 USB-C ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones" which technically you still get - I checked on the Wayback Machine and that was the description back in July so they haven't just suddenly changed it to cover themselves.

I would argue that they are not providing a USB (Universal Serial Bus) connection. If it's only supplying power there's nothing much "Serial Bus" about it!

Reactions: Roy B and turrmoil
we all have a case then to get the rear ports upgraded :D
Indeed ... Actually I think there should be a different title for physical USB connectors that only supply power (not just for Teslas). At least we know and it's always been clear that the rear USBs are power only. Maybe we will be surprised and Tesla agrees to properly upgrade when they have the chips.

In the latest versiuon of the manual
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

So I think I will try talking to customer service but not sure I'll get far :(
yeah that is rubbish. Get on to CS and ask them to sort it out. I would expect a car as you ordered it, not for them to change it after delivery.

Reactions: Durzel
I think it's worth a go, even though you may not succeed. If I understand correctly the only data USB in the car is therefore in the glove box and already taken up with the dashcam recording stick. Claim you are going to be a frequent user of music files and a regular user of games features so kindly provided by Tesla (requiring a game controller) ... If all else fails I suppose you can put a mini USB hub in the glove box ...
I've been trying to use a USB3 hub in the glovebox, with separate USB sticks for dashcam and music, but the hub seems to regularly cause the autopilot computer to fail to start (or in one case to shut down mid drive). So I've given up on that for now.

Interested to know if anyone else has more success than me.

I picked up my MR LR on New Year's Eve - it was missing front ports and wireless charging. I made an appointment in the app the same day. I expected the appointment to be cancelled, but it has been confirmed, for next week, and I double checked they have the parts required. So if anyone is waiting I'd suggest booking the appointment via the app to see what happens.

I've asked if the ports will be data enabled, not heard back yet but I'm not hopeful on that front.

I picked up my MR LR on New Year's Eve - it was missing front ports and wireless charging. I made an appointment in the app the same day. I expected the appointment to be cancelled, but it has been confirmed, for next week, and I double checked they have the parts required. So if anyone is waiting I'd suggest booking the appointment via the app to see what happens.

I've asked if the ports will be data enabled, not heard back yet but I'm not hopeful on that front.

Can I just ask which Service Centre is dealing with your request? I've tried to do this the request just gets closed down saying they'll reach out to me once they've had the parts.

What concerns me is that even if the service centre does have the part in stock, they're not proactively contacting customers yet from what I can see.

I imagine they are service spares which probably shouldn't be used for this retrofit (as they are in limited numbers for fixing issues with existing vehicles) but some SUs don't know any better.
Yup, I imagine that's the case. Some proactive owners are opening service requests, a tech looks at it and checks the part required and finds that they have it in stock, and just carries out the job.

People who wait - as instructed - will probably find themselves having to wait an indeterminate amount of time while stock trickles in and somehow isn't pounced on by the proactive ones.

For what it's worth my car turned up without a Type-2 cable and I heard nothing about it for a couple of months, despite the fact it meant I could not charge in public (not fast charging anyway) and when I did proactively chase it up I found out after my first phone call that they were going to send one out to me. I ended up with two being dispatched, but managed to get the second delivery cancelled.

Folks - I too have been waiting for retrofit since 18th Dec delivery. I was told I would be contacted when I was in the MK SC after Christmas as cars were being retrofitted in order of priority. Seems not the car, I made a service booking under Other and referenced USB retrofit and a mobile appointment came available on the 13th Jan which I accepted. When I go back to the job on the app, a new job was added under EMA USB retrofit so their system is smart enough to make the connection. MK SC confirmed my appointment today and they will be dropping off a new boot floor cover at the same time as mine has a circular mark that cant be cleaned. Mine also came without the green band which is odd and asked if new number plates could be created but no response on that. So I suggest you get booking as opposed to waiting for Tesla to contact you.

Folks - I too have been waiting for retrofit since 18th Dec delivery. I was told I would be contacted when I was in the MK SC after Christmas as cars were being retrofitted in order of priority. Seems not the car, I made a service booking under Other and referenced USB retrofit and a mobile appointment came available on the 13th Jan which I accepted. When I go back to the job on the app, a new job was added under EMA USB retrofit so their system is smart enough to make the connection. MK SC confirmed my appointment today and they will be dropping off a new boot floor cover at the same time as mine has a circular mark that cant be cleaned. Mine also came without the green band which is odd and asked if new number plates could be created but no response on that. So I suggest you get booking as opposed to waiting for Tesla to contact you.
I too have had that added to a service request. Service appointment 12/1. I didn’t ask, they included it when I scheduled a service appointment for the screen

As far as I am aware, it's a bit of a North/South divide. Those of us in the South have to wait, very few, if any, have had the wireless charging and front ports fitted, those in the North though, appear to have been successful.

SMS today from SC technician:

"I've just had a read through the documents for you and yes, sadly vehicle built after the 1 Nov only have power-only front USB hubs. Sorry for the disappointment."
The manual says “some”. They just have to fit the right part, as the non-data one is identical physically. With the chip shortage it might just be easier for them to say that they all come like that, but they don’t have to.

I wouldn’t be happy with that. I’d rather wait until they had a power+data USB hub in stock.