Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone else cancel their Model S order to wait for the GEN III

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one canceled mostly due to the car's heft, but the Gen III may actually be a better fit for us. I am also waiting to see what Audi has to offer with these e-trons we are seeing in the press. In my opinion, Audi is making the best cars right now. Despite this great initial effort by Tesla, their manufacturing has a long way to go to get to the level of VAG.

I for one canceled mostly due to the car's heft, but the Gen III may actually be a better fit for us. I am also waiting to see what Audi has to offer with these e-trons we are seeing in the press. In my opinion, Audi is making the best cars right now. Despite this great initial effort by Tesla, their manufacturing has a long way to go to get to the level of VAG.

Unless Audi comes up with some amazing battery technology, the e-trons are going to be falling short over Tesla in the area that counts the most - the drive train. Given a choice, I'd wait for Tesla to improve their interiors and manufacturing ability than to wait for Audi to be anywhere near Tesla in the area of battery pack, PEM, and electric motors.

That's just my opinion.

Unless Audi comes up with some amazing battery technology, the e-trons are going to be falling short over Tesla in the area that counts the most - the drive train. Given a choice, I'd wait for Tesla to improve their interiors and manufacturing ability than to wait for Audi to be anywhere near Tesla in the area of battery pack, PEM, and electric motors.

That's just my opinion.

I'd agree with this... We own 3 Audis and I love them for the most part, but they're not pushing the EV envelope.

Don't underestimate the engineering power of VAG. It might take them a few more years but when they decide to focus on something, and that something is electric cars, they will eventually get it right. This will include the drive train.

I am just not sure if other manufacturers will get the long distance driving difference that Tesla is providing, especially with the supercharger network they just announced. A few years from now, just in time for GenIII, a Tesla with a larger battery pack (not the 40KwH) will truly be able to drive long distances when needed. Combining the wonderful driving characteristics of an EV with a way for it to be your only car, too me, is amazing.

I am just not sure if other manufacturers will get the long distance driving difference that Tesla is providing, especially with the supercharger network they just announced.

Not until their sales start hurting and then it will be too late. That's what happened with tires, and it's likely to happen with EVs as well.

Jerry33, Maybe OT, but can you expand on your tires analogy? Did someone innovate in the tire industry and take a chunk of business from the others? Not knowing the tire industry, I'm not sure i get you're exact point, but it sounds very interesting.

I generally do not like navigation systems, they don't really know local roads and generally give you a decent route, not a good one...
I love my Garmin Nuvi which lives in the Prius. I don't much care for the Alpine unit in the Roadster. I use NAV in town to get me the last part of the way when I don't know the area. Spokane has some areas with convoluted streets. Then I use it to get me out of such areas and back to the main roads. It's a life-saver for me. I also use it on road trips, where I find that for the most part it takes me the best route. (The Garmin. I don't take long road trips in the Roadster.)

The biggest problem is that sometimes a road forks, and it's not clear which is the principal road, and the NAV doesn't make it clear because it thinks of it as an unimportant side road. If I take the wrong one I have to turn around. But at least it tells me when I'm off the route.

I find that a NAV unit is much better for me than trying to read a map while driving!

On a road trip I'll usually plot a route on MapQuest first, then let the NAV guide me. If it wants to take me a different route than MapQuest I'll make my own decision between the two, and if I take the MQ route, the NAV will adjust pretty quickly, after briefly telling me to turn around.

I almost bought a Volt, but at the time, the only way I could swing the price was the lease option, which at the time also looked like a no-go because current circumstances made it look like I'd be putting about 35,000 miles a year on the car. Circumstances have changed since then, and I've barely put 30,000 miles on my car in two years, so I probably could have done it. I drove the Volt at the L.A. auto show, and was reasonably impressed with it. Is it a perfect car? No. There are a lot of compromises in it, mainly involving the battery and what it does to interior packaging, but it's a valiant effort. I am holding out for the Gen III. By 2016, I'll at least be considering the prospect of a new car. If it has the styling and features I'm looking for, and it's within my budget, it has an excellent chance of being my next car.

For me, there is a race going on between my savings account and Gen 3 reaching production. The finish line is around 2016. If Gen 3 is out, it will likely win. If not, either an S or X will win.

If you read early in this thread, I was set on a Gen III. I'd still rather have a Gen III but the new timetable just doesn't work for me. I want to get my Tesla in 2015. Since the only sedan that will be around at that time is the Mode S then I'll be buying it.

The only thing stopping me then will be very very strong indications of when the Gen III will arrive or some personal tragedy has happened.

Waiting for a Gen III Tesla is a reasonable strategy, but it won't be the same level car as a Model S. It's expected to be in the $30K to $40K range. You probably won't see all the same intriguing features found on the Model S.

Intriguing features such as?

Sorry, but apart from the funky doorhandles and a touchscreen that is larger than in other cars, what intriguing features does the S offer?
Missing interior storage? No grab handles? No usable center console? Trunk lighting that doesn't really light anything? No lights on the vanity mirrors? No power-folding mirrors on a car the size of a cruise ship?
True, those (and some other) ARE intriguing features. But I certainly won't miss them if Gen III doesn't have any of them.

But sarcasm aside, I agree with many who want to wait for Gen III either because of the lower price point or the smaller size. I would have loved the S at around 50 to 60K Euro, with lower maintenance costs than an ICE, as advertised. But now that I know that both the starting price with a few necessary options (necessary as in "necessary if you want a good resale value later") will be through the roof and the maintenance will be far more expensive than on my current ICE car, I too am contemplating waiting for Gen III instead. And in the meantime getting a PHEV or REEV.

For me:

Non-essential features:

• "Magic" door handles
  • Ginormous touch screen (although I hope it's decent-sized)
  • 0-60 in less than 5 seconds
  • Carbon fiber and/or real aluminum trim

Essential features:
  • All-LED lighting throughout (no incandescents anywhere!)
  • 200+ mile range
  • 0-60 in 6 flat or less
  • Comfortable room for four adults
  • Seamless integration with smartphones (this may seem like a "duh!" thing, but you'd be surprised by how many cars don't play well with common smartphones)

"Cool to have" features:
  • Autonomous parking (i.e. it literally parks itself with the driver outside of the vehicle)
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Integrated "real time" dashcam and/or rear view capture (i.e. 24-hour continuous loop, capture function for accident reporting. Insurance discount?)
  • Auto-valet (essentially the inverse of Autonomous parking. If you forgot where you parked, or don't feel like walking all the way back to your car (bad weather, arms full with kids/groceries/clothes) will drive up to you "curbside"
  • Tesla "Find a Friend" Built-in app that locates other Tesla/Gen-III owners nearby (opt-in by owners, of course)

What are your guys' thoughts?

For me:

Non-essential features:

• "Magic" door handles

Essential features:
  • 200+ mile range
  • 0-60 in 6 flat or less
  • Seamless integration with smartphones (this may seem like a "duh!" thing, but you'd be surprised by how many cars don't play well with common smartphones)

"Cool to have" features:
  • Autonomous parking (i.e. it literally parks itself with the driver outside of the vehicle)
  • Integrated "real time" dashcam and/or rear view capture (i.e. 24-hour continuous loop, capture function for accident reporting. Insurance discount?)
  • Auto-valet (essentially the inverse of Autonomous parking. If you forgot where you parked, or don't feel like walking all the way back to your car (bad weather, arms full with kids/groceries/clothes) will drive up to you "curbside"
  • Tesla "Find a Friend" Built-in app that locates other Tesla/Gen-III owners nearby (opt-in by owners, of course)

• "Magic" door handles While not necessary - they are aero and a Tesla trademark.
  • Ginormous touch screen (although I hope it's decent-sized) Same - half the size would work for me.
  • 0-60 in less than 5 seconds Same
  • Carbon fiber and/or real aluminum trim Should be an option for those wiling to pay for it.

Essential features:
  • All-LED lighting throughout (no incandescents anywhere!) Headlights can be whatever works best.
  • 200+ mile range Already a given according to Elon.
  • 0-60 in 6 flat or less Very likely and definitely an option for those that want more.
  • Comfortable room for four adults No problem there.
  • Seamless integration with smartphones (this may seem like a "duh!" thing, but you'd be surprised by how many cars don't play well with common smartphones) Not a big deal for me but I expect it is for almost everyone else - Tesla will have it.

• Autonomous parking (i.e. it literally parks itself with the driver outside of the vehicle) Cute and cool. Maybe a high end option?
  • Adaptive cruise control Personally could care less. I like driving. An option for sure.
  • Integrated "real time" dashcam and/or rear view capture (i.e. 24-hour continuous loop, capture function for accident reporting. Insurance discount?) Why not?
  • Auto-valet (essentially the inverse of Autonomous parking. If you forgot where you parked, or don't feel like walking all the way back to your car (bad weather, arms full with kids/groceries/clothes) will drive up to you "curbside" Cute and cool but probably not.
  • Tesla "Find a Friend" Built-in app that locates other Tesla/Gen-III owners nearby (opt-in by owners, of course) Social car networking. Great idea.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

For me:

Non-essential features:

• "Magic" door handles

Essential features:
  • 200+ mile range
  • 0-60 in 6 flat or less

"Cool to have" features:

+1 on almost every point, except for the 0-60 times and auto valet, which don't matter to me very much.

Does anyone else think Tesla started talking about Gen III way too early and it may be costing them sales?

I'm faced with the dilemma that I will need a new car when my current lease expires next March as there's no way I'm keeping a 20 MPG CUV. I've worked all the numbers and could potentially afford a Model S, but knowing that if I take out a 3 year lease on a PHEV instead and Gen III would theoretically be waiting for me at the end, I would be saving a lot of money in the short term and long term. Of course the trade off is nothing really compares to Tesla in terms of performance, range, and cargo space.

If I didn't know there was a less expensive option on the horizon (and have faith that Elon and Tesla will deliver) the thinking might be different, with the presumption that the Model S would cost even more in the future so I might as well get in now. But since there is, it makes the decision much more prudent to wait.

Does anyone else think Tesla started talking about Gen III way too early and it may be costing them sales?

I'm faced with the dilemma that I will need a new car when my current lease expires next March as there's no way I'm keeping a 20 MPG CUV. I've worked all the numbers and could potentially afford a Model S, but knowing that if I take out a 3 year lease on a PHEV instead and Gen III would theoretically be waiting for me at the end, I would be saving a lot of money in the short term and long term. Of course the trade off is nothing really compares to Tesla in terms of performance, range, and cargo space.

If I didn't know there was a less expensive option on the horizon (and have faith that Elon and Tesla will deliver) the thinking might be different, with the presumption that the Model S would cost even more in the future so I might as well get in now. But since there is, it makes the decision much more prudent to wait.

I am sure they were aware that they would defer some sales .... but It does not seem to matter. As they are reserving faster than they can build them and all signs point to this continuing at least into next year when they double production, I think having thousands of people preparing for the Gen 3 is a great thing .... I for one will be getting one .... unless they announce that the smaller SUV will be out shortly after their Gen 3 .... lol