Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla just raise the price of Pearl White and Red again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gut feeling is that the market will never see a $35k M3. The current confluence of events will never allow it.
What do you mean by “current confluence of events will never allow it”? IMO, It’s going to be very hard for Tesla to renege on their promise as several people have put down 1k for 2+ years in anticipation. They may try to artificially raise the prices using similar tactics.

Reactions: adaptabl
This really makes me upset. I am a reservation holder and was just contemplating on placing my order in the next week or two but am having to look seriously at my budget. They should have given some warning before raising these prices. I hate to settle for black and even doing that would still cost 200 extra for delivery. It all adds up for a middle class family. My wife is trying to get me to give up on my 3 and look at a Clarity phev .

If these pricing changes makes it difficult for you to afford the M3 in its current configuration, you should seriously reconsider your financial situation. Most people in the market for a car in the mid 50s to 60s can absorb a 1-2k fluctuation. If you can’t then you can’t afford this car. Especially given there is no guarantee that a car ordered today will be delivered before 12/31 when the tax credit starts to phase out — and the M3 becomes even more expensive.

What do you mean by “current confluence of events will never allow it”? IMO, It’s going to be very hard for Tesla to renege on their promise as several people have put down 1k for 2+ years in anticipation. They may try to artificially raise the prices using similar tactics.

Costs, Fed credit impact, looming negative overall impact to economy and markets.

I love it!! Double the price. Really helps to have an incoming vehicle that is appreciating and if your a line/ reservation holder and find yourself stagnate and on the fence at this point. Yes, this hurts as any advantage you thought you had has perceptibly evaporated. Tesla has a hit in the model 3 and will maximize that to short term profitability.

My configuration went up from
62k to 63500 plus dest/taxes. This is not doubling the price. Tesla can adjust prices based on demand and they need to pad margins to get profitable. Many of us infused hundreds of millions of dollars of cash into their Q2 cash reserves by ordering before 7/1. I look at the price break as a small thank you to those of us who immediately put our money in.

But seriously, if you are in the market for a car this expensive and can afford to buy it, 1500 bucks extra is immaterial.

Yes, I was one of those people buying on 6/30 to get free cellular for life (life of TESLA, which may not be forever if they cannot make money). And now, I find that my P3D+ will get free supercharging. And now my paint has appreciated $500, my delivery fees, $200. After waiting 2 years (6/16/2016), I am feeling kind of like I won the lottery ... But, it's been 30d, and still, no car.

Tesla is alienating all the low-end customers that they acquired in 2016 with their tactics. First, they didn't honor a first-come-first-serve queue, then they gave the tax credit to those who probably didn't need it, and now they are pricing the $35K car so that it will never be $35K. As I said a looooong time ago, that car will only come out in 2020. I'd be surprised if cancellation numbers don't spike in 2019. And for the record, I'm neither long nor short.

Are they trying to make this car unattainable? All the waiting... speculations about what will be available, what will be package etc, budgeting to make it happen - I know lots of people have sold vehicles and made huge concessions just to get into one of these lovely cars - so really Tesla how is this fair! At least honor all those who put a reservation in on the car... not me sadly still waiting to see what options look like on the SR. Must admit I am starting to think I would be better off trying for this car in a few years when all the smoke and mirrors have stopped moving. UGh Tesla STOP and think - you have the chance to bring a lot of new members into your family and you do this... what is next?

Reactions: AustinPowers
Ugh. I am trying to decide between stretching for the LR or waiting on the SR (PUP and EAP) will be added regardless. This is making it harder to justify the LR (commute is 10 miles per day and we take less than one trip per year). Was getting prepared to pull the trigger on the LR after my test drive coming up Monday but now I don’t know. I know $700 (color and doc fees) isn’t a huge difference but it sure is annoying and an extra $11/mo in the loan payment. Every little bit adds up.

Ugh. I am trying to decide between stretching for the LR or waiting on the SR (PUP and EAP) will be added regardless. This is making it harder to justify the LR (commute is 10 miles per day and we take less than one trip per year). Was getting prepared to pull the trigger on the LR after my test drive coming up Monday but now I don’t know. I know $700 (color and doc fees) isn’t a huge difference but it sure is annoying and an extra $11/mo in the loan payment. Every little bit adds up.

If your taking an AWD model for a test drive, especially performance, you will not be disappointed. It will make the extra $700 seem like it's worth it. Over the life of the loan, it's not much. Or you could just wait like @Ingham said and wait a few years for the smoke and mirrors to stop...

If your taking an AWD model for a test drive, especially performance, you will not be disappointed. It will make the extra $700 seem like it's worth it. Over the life of the loan, it's not much. Or you could just wait like @Ingham said and wait a few years for the smoke and mirrors to stop...

It’s a RWD for the test drive and RWD is what I’m planning on buying. The wife didn’t like the sound of $718/mo and I’m sure she will like $730 even less

The $35k car will come with with all these other companies trying to compete with Tesla. The drawback is that they are going to have to get things cheaper and cut back on a lot. So I'm betting the Tesla M3 now is not going to be made of the same materials it is today. And they may have to move production to another country. Time will tell but at this point I can't see them selling the current M3 at $35k

Are they trying to make this car unattainable? All the waiting... speculations about what will be available, what will be package etc, budgeting to make it happen - I know lots of people have sold vehicles and made huge concessions just to get into one of these lovely cars - so really Tesla how is this fair! At least honor all those who put a reservation in on the car... not me sadly still waiting to see what options look like on the SR. Must admit I am starting to think I would be better off trying for this car in a few years when all the smoke and mirrors have stopped moving. UGh Tesla STOP and think - you have the chance to bring a lot of new members into your family and you do this... what is next?

My feelings exactly.
I got so sick of the waiting and Tesla's antics that I ordered an e-Golf a couple of weeks ago. I still keep my day one reservation for the time being, but whether I go through with the order in 2019 (because it won't become available here any earlier) will depend on the final European pricing they announce. If my configuration turns out to be beyond my budget after all, even though Tesla made it seem for years that the Model 3 would be affordable, then I will simply cancel and give my money to the competition. If they don't want or need my business, fine, let them suit themselves. Otoh, if too many people, especially outside the US, will feel and act the same way, Tesla might notice - and regret their decisions - in the end.

Tesla is alienating all the low-end customers that they acquired in 2016 with their tactics. First, they didn't honor a first-come-first-serve queue, then they gave the tax credit to those who probably didn't need it, and now they are pricing the $35K car so that it will never be $35K. As I said a looooong time ago, that car will only come out in 2020. I'd be surprised if cancellation numbers don't spike in 2019. And for the record, I'm neither long nor short.

Tesla at the unveilng did not promise to offer the Model 3 in volume until 2020. When they got the enormous amount of pre-orders (I believe inside the company they expected ~100,000 orders and they got 400,000+ orders), they tried to move up the schedule by 12 months, and they succeeded in moving up the schedule by 6 months. You can move up the manufacturing schedule but I think the $35,000 pricing was probably based on expected declines (7% annually) in the price of Li-Ion batteries, which hasn't completely happened - yet - for obvious reasons. So they are in a hard spot right now. The 400,000 demand forced them to borrow a ton of money and build the biggest battery factory in the world. They are single-handedly struggling to invent a new industry, to satisfy their customers' needs with a product that is delivered too soon, at too-high a manufacturing price, and they are swallowing the losses as a result. Meanwhile people who own the ICE companies and ICE fuel industries are pressuring TESLA - through wall street - to make them fail.

I did not realize all of this when I first started reading these forums 2 months ago

Last edited:
Regardless of how Tesla got here, competition at the Model 3's original pricepoint is coming. The Bolt is here. Leaf with active thermal management, Kona, and Kia Niro EVs are coming soon. They won't be available in huge quantities, but limited quantities is still better than the vaporware status of the $35K Model 3 for those who don't want to wait. Kona and Niro will get the full tax credit. GM's is phasing out soon.

Tesla doesn't need the low-end customers anymore. They were good for the interest-free loans and the publicity 500k reservations gave them. The only excuse they need to give is "hey, things changed over time". A reservation never guaranteed price or even a car and remains fully refundable. So no harm, no foul.

I expect that with packaged options, the lowest priced SR we will see will be about $42-44,000.

• Disagree
Reactions: ord3r and adaptabl
Tesla doesn't need the low-end customers anymore. They were good for the interest-free loans and the publicity 500k reservations gave them. The only excuse they need to give is "hey, things changed over time". A reservation never guaranteed price or even a car and remains fully refundable. So no harm, no foul.

I expect that with packaged options, the lowest priced SR we will see will be about $42-44,000.

I want to give them $47,000 (sorry $47,700 now) but they don’t want my money yet because apparently it’s not enough. $56,700 is quite a bit more, even with the tax credit differences (especially when you throw sales tax in there)

Last edited:
I would raise it to 40K and make EAP standard.

It’s common sense but maybe not common sense that uptake of EAP is higher on a AWD, LR, PUP M3 than a SR Model 3.

This would make it more palatable to Tesla to make that second battery line.

Many people have no use for EAP. I would rather them strip the EAP hardware from the car and lower the price.

Many people have no use for EAP. I would rather them strip the EAP hardware from the car and lower the price.

I completely understand that viewpoint.

It doesn’t make sense for Tesla to create a build without that hardware for both logistical and practical purposes.

It also doesn’t make much sense to have the hardware without each car buyer funding R&D for the software.

The best solution is for Tesla to make the software a “must have”. It is for most of the cars anyway. Just not so much at the 35K price point. 100K cars buy EAP and FSD.

65K cars buy at least EAP.

35K cars buy neither.

Marginal uptake goes up as ASP rises.