Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between Tesla Model 3 versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a look on the Tesla website, it explains it all. My advice would be to pay the extra for the LR battery, to give you more range all the time, particularly important in winter when the car’s range drops anyway.

Found this

44AC94E5-79C3-495C-AAEE-AD37098BF93B.jpeg

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Also what does Free for First YEAR mean for Streaming Web Browser etc? Are we all gonna be hit with Monthly subs from next year?

Any idea.. first i have noticed that
They always said it was only free for the first year so possibly yes but so far no one in any country has ever been charged that we know of.
Figures of $100 per year were being bandied around for it if ever does happen. That will translate to £100 or course

The free for first year is/was mentioned in the small print on main website. When I queried, answer went somewhere along the lines of "its been 'subscription', first year free for a while, but its not been imposed yet, but has been discussed and still is being discussed. Amount being discussed is around $100/year" - then a look that could be read as "its probably not going to happen for a while/if at all". But that was all before the V10 media updates that for some, may justify a subscription service.

Are we all gonna be hit with Monthly subs from next year?

On original Model-S / X the connectivity has always been time limited, and subscription thereafter. Deadline has kept getting pushed back ... so hasn't happened yet.

But Subscription would be a decent revenue model for Tesla.

iPace drivers are paying circa £100 p.a. for a SIM card capable of handling the required bandwidth just for NAV etc. so if Tesla pitch Subscription at £100 that could be seen as being "quite cheap" ... possibly "painfully cheap" eh?!

Reactions: Roy W.
Thank you for this, also I have found charging speed (max 100kW?) is different between SR+ and other models.

Yes it's limited to 100kW on SR+. However, the full story on charging is more complicated than that headline rate. Cars don't necessarily charge continuously at their maximum rate for any number of reasons. You can't just multiply the numbers and reckon one car will necessarily charge 1.5 times faster over the entirety of the charge. In fact if you could charge at "just" 100kW all the time consistently (even from a Supercharger) you would be very very happy! Nobody has ever charged any Model 3 from 0% to 100% at 100kW all the way.

The reality is that it depends on 1) Supercharger hardware in a particular location 2) if you are sharing power at a Supercharger stall 3) current temperature of your battery 4) temperature of the day 5) if you specifically navigated to Supercharger using Tesla screen or not 6) (most importantly) your battery's current state of charge (charges at max rate if battery is at 10% but not if you are at 75% and wanting to get to 95% ... don't even dream of going to 100% at a Supercharger ... there is a taper effect so the nearer to 100% the slower it goes.) Someone will correct me if I'm being pessimistic but I would guess that 10% to 50% in ideal circumstances will show the most obvious advantage of the faster charging cars where they can potentially sustain well above 100kW.

Supercharger hardware in a particular location

What factors are you envisaging there?

I'm only aware of some Supercharger sites having been slightly increased in power (and some Models able to make better use of that than others). Other than that all the same I think? (Until V3 gets here)

if you are sharing power at a Supercharger stall

Also whether the other car is in Taper or not (no way of knowing that of course, unless owner is in car and you can ask). Frequently requested feature to have dashboard tell you (if have to "pair") the best stall based on which car is at highest Taper

don't even dream of going to 100% at a Supercharger

I've done it once. Took just over an hour from 90% to 100%

Below that:

12 mins 80% - 90%
8 mins 70%-80%
6 mins per 10% below that

Also to add to your list is the type of battery in the car, and the voltage that it will charge at. Old models (S and X) with 100 battery charged significantly faster than 75 batteries (about 1/3rd faster I think).

Starting from 10% the 75 would nudge up to 100kW (old Superchargers before Boost update, and before battery heat en route to Charger) at 50% and then tail off linearly (80 kW at 60%, 60kW at 70%) to 40kW at 80%

100 would be at 120kW 10% to 50%, only drop to 90kW at 60% and the linearly (80 kW at 70%) to 60kW at 80%

I would guess that 10% to 50% in ideal circumstances

I work on the basis that 10% to 70% is fine (i.e. 50% to 60% not significantly different to 10% to 20%, and just a little slower "60% to 70%")

If I need 80% I stay, 70-80% is a bit longer than 60%-70%, but not much. I will leave at 70% if that is enough to reach next Supercharger. I am better off leaving before getting into taper, driving faster, and charging longer at next stop.

But I won't stay for more than 80% unless I have absolutely no alternative. Above 80% the slow down is significant.

When I first had the car I had a need to charge from 10% to 100% for a particular journey, so I made a note of the SOC every 5 minutes. For anyone using TeslaFi they could check that retrospectively; might be worth deliberately charging 10% to 90% / 95% at Supercharger to have a ready-reckoner

Yes it's complicated! The outcome is that, for the OP's information, the headline charge rate of a given vehicle doesn't tell the full story. The Model 3 SR+ will therefore be outperformed in some charging scenarios but not at all in others because a fair bit of the time the cars are not charging at their maximum rate. The biggest impact on long distance journey time for the SR+ versus LR or Performance is the baseline range difference and not actually the maximum charge rate.