Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Model 3 in August 2018. LR RWD. I DID get the $7500 tax credit that year. However, less than a year later they reduced the price to where I could have bought an AWD for less than my RWD Model 3. But, I did have the enjoyment of owning the car when it was still pretty rare to see a Model 3 on the road. And, I was able to buy EAP which isn't available anymore (until last week and only until the end of September). It is frustrating to see them drop a price a few thousand dollars (especially if it was a day or two after you took delivery) but I would say just enjoy the Tesla and don't look back. Had it been within a week of your picking it up you could have taken the vehicle back.

The funny thing I've learned about Tesla pricing is it isn't always as it appears. I ordered my Model Y in December. Paid $1500 for upgrade wheels (which were listed as 19") and the upgrade wheels in production were actually 20" and cost $2,000. My build reverted to the 20" black wheels and kept the price at $1,500. I also ordered FSD at the time for $7,000. But, my Y was $52,999. So, when it came time to finalize, it was after the $3,000 price reduction, I did pay the new $8,000 for FSD and $2,000 for the wheels. However, my net price was still $500 less overall. So was it really a $3,000 price reduction? Nope. Just smoke and mirrors and not much of a different price actually.

Enjoy the car and don't look back....just know that you are helping the environment and having a LOT of fun driving a fantastic vehicle.

...man you guys are brutal in here hehehe, just scanning the boards. But yes, Tesla is one brand where you pay a price and have no negotiating power so it's hard to be upset on price moves. You have to view your purchase as a point in time choice, knowing a day later new hardware could come out (but you can kind of educate on that), prices may go up (likely down in today's market though), etc. In general, EVs will drop in price to compete - our S's/Xs were all $110K-$140K+ in the past and perform with less range than today's in the $80-90K new price range. You pay at times with Tesla as an early buyer/adopter.

seriously. I would bet Ford dealers will be price gouging on the Mach E for many months, at least. All car dealers price gouge on new/hot cars, and the Mach E will be in demand when they first get released. Or, does a deposit guarantee me MSRP? I haven't checked but I doubt it.
When you place your deposit the dealer needs to confirm pricing. I had placed an order for a Mach e and had them confirm in writing that they would honor X-plan pricing. I ultimately cancelled the order due uncertainty of when I’d get it. My MY is nicer than I thought it would be. The Mach e I believe was modeled after the MY. They made some things better, like the door handle in my opinion. The $7.5k tax credit is obviously a big selling point.

Reactions: raggedy
...man you guys are brutal in here hehehe, just scanning the boards. .......snip......
from a fellow 2015 joining member - you may have noticed, for whatever reason - the folks in the model Y group seem to have a tad less compassion/Grace/empathy - whatever you want to call it compared the MX group. That's what some say. Yeah MX & S can be brutal too, and as a fellow suffer from various tesla issues .... unless it happens to a pretty large contingent of owners, don't presume empathy from web strangers is on its way. U joint ½ shafts shutter? Yeah, enough people would relate. Ghosting windshield? Yeah enough people would relate. Supercharger speeds reduced? Same thing. Maximum charge voltage capped? Same thing. but Price? not not so much. If someone wants a great deal, go find early model S owner ready to sell - with their rev1 MCU about to go out.

Last edited:
You should have seen my coworker's face when I set my DHGate $60 Omega Speedmaster side by side with his $4000 OEM. He kept returning to me to make sure I did not bait and swap him, I had to educate him on the beveled date window and the finish quality of the rotor to convince him he got back the original.

OP get a bottle of Ararat (hope they blast the xxxx out of the saracens, pray for the first Christian country in the world, they need all the help now if you follow the news) and light up a Montecristo with it to celebrate, you have one the best cars in the world, you are saving nature and can now laugh at all the imbeciles buying 100k smokers in the 21st century;)

Imagine 2015 when I got my MS, did not even know if Tesla would make it, but the little boy in me came atop. The love is still strong five years later.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dennisis and jdr93
I'm disappointed the guy joined TMC yesterday, started this thread, made his rant (in BOLD mind you), and hasn't been back since. Would think he would want to engage a bit or at least read responses.

I'm with Kandiru - going to be happy with my MY, go open that bottle of High West Distillery Campfire Rye Whiskey I picked up in Park City last week and enjoy while I watch the Yankees start their rain-delayed game. Life is short my friend! :D