Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you pay $7,500 or more in FEDERAL TAXES, whether you get a refund or not, AND your adjusted income for 2023 is below certain figures ($300K for married couples, etc), you'd get that back, in the form of an additional $7,500 refund, or a reduction of your estimated tax payment due Jan 15, 2024, which would be my case, if I end up buying one. If you paid from $0.01 to $7,499.99 in federal taxes, you'd only get that portion back (assuming you're under the maximum income limitations). And only few EVs qualify for a rebate, so you'd have to check if your specific model does (not all Teslas do).

What is not clear to me, is if you still need to qualify for income in 2024, when the rebate is reportedly instant (at the dealer), instead of a tax credit.
I
That’s not correct
I asked the guy flat out. If you don't owe ANY tax after all is said and done on your 1040 you get ZERO. You must OWE tax. For 2024 it has nothing to do with tax. It's an instant price discount

I

I asked the guy flat out. If you don't owe ANY tax after all is said and done on your 1040 you get ZERO. You must OWE tax. For 2024 it has nothing to do with tax. It's an instant price discount
It offsets up to $7,500 of tax liability. The amount of tax still due is irrelevant (beyond impacting your final refund/ payment)
Line 24 (without the credit) not line 38.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Reactions: MP3Mike and E90alex
I

By the correct definition of “OWE” this is valid.

But you appear to be, once again, conflating “owe” with what is required to settle up at the end of the year after all of your contributions and withholdings. They are not the same thing, just like they weren’t the same thing the last time you went on about this. You still don’t seem to understand the difference.

So how exactly does that work? Do you have to show a dealer your tax return? That doesn't sound right to me, but maybe that's the way it is?
I think when you file your taxes you have to fill out that you received the point of sale credit, and if your income is above the limit, for both the year that you took the credit and the prior year, you have to pay it back.

Reactions: mongo and E90alex
By the correct definition of “OWE” this is valid.

But you appear to be, once again, conflating “owe” with what is required to settle up at the end of the year after all of your contributions and withholdings. They are not the same thing, just like they weren’t the same thing the last time you went on about this. You still don’t seem to understand the difference.
The line I'm talking about is where they ask you what is greater - what we owe you or what you owe. On the other hand I haven't seen the 2023 tax form yet.
Have you?

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex and MP3Mike
The line I'm talking about is where they ask you what is greater - what we owe you or what you owe.
And once again, this line is wrong and has no bearing at all on whether or not you receive the credit.
On the other hand I haven't seen the 2023 tax form yet.
Have you?
Sure. It’s right here:

Simplifying slightly, the line you want to pay attention to is #24 (total tax). If this line is greater than $7,500, you will receive the entire value of the credit, which you claim in the “payments” section that starts on line 25.

My daughter and I picked up her M3 RWD yesterday. Black on black for $36 and change. She placed the order Tuesday and picked it up Friday. Aside from time spent going over the car, closing the sale took less than 30 minutes. We are both thrilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
Hi Guys maybe this might be a repeated question but please clarify. I leased a M3LR back in June 23 thinking that I’ll get my $7500 down payment as tax credit during 2024 tax filing. But recently came across an article saying that $7500 credit goes to Tesla if leased. Can I still claim the credit while filing taxes ? In the documents it doesn’t say anything like -$7500 deducted or so. Please clarify

The lessor (Tesla) and not the lessee (you) qualifies for the tax credit. Tesla only recently started to pass the $7,500 credit onto the consumer in their leases. You will not be able to include the credit in your tax filing.

1703964056611.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Hi Guys maybe this might be a repeated question but please clarify. I leased a M3LR back in June 23 thinking that I’ll get my $7500 down payment as tax credit during 2024 tax filing. But recently came across an article saying that $7500 credit goes to Tesla if leased. Can I still claim the credit while filing taxes ? In the documents it doesn’t say anything like -$7500 deducted or so. Please clarify

The owner gets the tax credit. You are not the owner, so you dont get it. The plain language answer is "no, you can not claim the tax credit on a leased vehicle."

Does anybody know where this money is coming from? Is it just purely printed money from the fed? Now that it's just given away vs a reduced tax liability it seems like a different thing.
For people with sufficient tax liability, it's just shifting the refund around. (Reducing personal tax payment)
For prople with less liability, it's reducing the overall federal tax payments (beyond the buyer).