Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short of adding cameras to the headlights, I agree with you. The existing software is the problem.
I agree that it's SW. I mean, when I had the FSD sub, one of my complaints was the fact that approaching a red light, the car would not just slow down gradually like a human would, but keep driving at the same pace and then suddenly slow down to stop - I mean, I could see the red light on the display, so obviously the car could see it as well, yet it would wait and wait and wait.... Then slam on the regen/brakes at the last minute.

Reactions: WyoDude and enemji
I agree that it's SW. I mean, when I had the FSD sub, one of my complaints was the fact that approaching a red light, the car would not just slow down gradually like a human would, but keep driving at the same pace and then suddenly slow down to stop - I mean, I could see the red light on the display, so obviously the car could see it as well, yet it would wait and wait and wait.... Then slam on the regen/brakes at the last minute.
We experienced this with our test drive but never allowed the car to stop as we thought it was going to run the light so I preemptively slowed the car down. Good to know it will actually stop.

That’s painful

Will it slow down if a car is stopped at the light in AP or just in general like AEB?
Car will stop because there are cars stopped ahead of you, not because of the red light. It will slow down. Sometimes gradually, sometimes a little bit later. It all depends on the traffic around you.
Also, some people starts to slow down way too early before the red light and leaving a mile gap in between the stopped car in front of you. So people complaining about Tesla cars not slowing down before stop is all subjective preference.

Reactions: GoVols!
Will it slow down if a car is stopped at the light in AP or just in general like AEB?
The behavior I mentioned was specific to FSD beta. I've never used (basic) AP on streets that have stop lights (it's recommended only for highways) but I assume AP will stop in the scenario where there is car stopped at a red light, just like if you're in traffic on a highway. I've never had AEB invoked on me, thankfully.

Reactions: GoVols!
Car will stop because there are cars stopped ahead of you, not because of the red light. It will slow down. Sometimes gradually, sometimes a little bit later. It all depends on the traffic around you.
Also, some people starts to slow down way too early before the red light and leaving a mile gap in between the stopped car in front of you. So people complaining about Tesla cars not slowing down before stop is all subjective preference.
Thank you. I have never owned an Ev, so this is all new territory for my wife and I. We don’t plan on driving it with AP on very often and mostly just want it for running errands and short trips to Nashville/Chattanooga/Winston-Salem from Knoxville while keeping my 200 Heritage series for nasty weather and longer trips.

The behavior I mentioned was specific to FSD beta. I've never used (basic) AP on streets that have stop lights (it's recommended only for highways) but I assume AP will stop in the scenario where there is car stopped at a red light, just like if you're in traffic on a highway. I've never had AEB invoked on me, thankfully.
AP will stop if a car is stopped at a red light but it will not stop at a red light if nobody else is stopped in front of you. It will go right through and then alert you to take over immediately afterwards.

EAP (if configured) and FSD will stop.

I never trusted basic auto pilot in local traffic. State and Fed highways does fine and makes the long drives much more relaxing.

I used to stay in the right hand lane and just follow the vehicle in front. I would arrived 15 minutes earlier to the destination by weaving around sower vehicles. But just letting auto pilot do its thing was more enjoyable and less stressful drive

Reactions: DanDi58 and GoVols!
I never trusted basic auto pilot in local traffic. State and Fed highways does fine and makes the long drives much more relaxing.

I used to stay in the right hand lane and just follow the vehicle in front. I would arrived 15 minutes earlier to the destination by weaving around sower vehicles. But just letting auto pilot do its thing was more enjoyable and less stressful drive
So if you buy EAP you will arrive 15 minutes later AND be relaxed as the car will do the overtaking itself :)

• Funny
Reactions: nate704

The only problem is that right lanes are usually occupied by dump trucks, semis, and other trucks that will send debris, rocks, and other objects on your way and crack your windshield and damage your front end.
I always try my best not to follow those big trucks at all cost.

Reactions: NKpenn and WyoDude
The only problem is that right lanes are usually occupied by dump trucks, semis, and other trucks that will send debris, rocks, and other objects on your way and crack your windshield and damage your front end.
I always try my best not to follow those big trucks at all cost.
Good grief. Are we at the point in society that this is even required to add this explanation to the post? It is like adding a warning on the chocolate bar package "Don't eat the wrapping"

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cab
This is more or less the only feature you get when upgrading from EAP to FSD right is it not ?

Seems like a rather expensive upgrade, for quite a small feature.

I know it says "Coming - Navigate on autopilot in cities"
In US/Canada FSD gets City Streets Beta where it will drive you around everywhere and pretty much do everything other than reversing or u-turns. Many Youtube channels that show the progress of City Streets Beta are out there like DirtyTesla.
But in Europe you don't have Beta so yeah, FSD seems sort of worthless for now.

In US/Canada FSD gets City Streets Beta where it will drive you around everywhere and pretty much do everything other than reversing or u-turns. Many Youtube channels that show the progress of City Streets Beta are out there like DirtyTesla.
But in Europe you don't have Beta so yeah, FSD seems sort of worthless for now.
Exactly.

And even the package at half price is pretty expensive right now, considering 60% of the advertised features have been disabled.

I would love to have the NOA function, and automatic lanechange but the price for these 2 features seems high. The Summon, Smart Summon and Autopark is both disabled, and not very essential for me.

Exactly.

And even the package at half price is pretty expensive right now, considering 60% of the advertised features have been disabled.

I would love to have the NOA function, and automatic lanechange but the price for these 2 features seems high. The Summon, Smart Summon and Autopark is both disabled, and not very essential for me.
I agree...I ended getting neither option even with the availability of FSD Beta in Canada. And I had a locked in price that was 50% lower than today's pricing.

If Canada had subscription FSD I'd get that once in awhile to see how it is progressing and experience it myself. But no way I'd pay the price for either EAP or FSD when it is locked to the car and not the customer.